Connect with us

News

AKD vows to stop allocating funds for ex-presidents, questions Sagala’s role

Published

on

Anura Kumara Dissanayake

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Jathika Jana Balawegaya (JJB) lawmaker Anura Kumara Dissanayake has called for an end to the practice of spending taxpayers’ money to maintain former Presidents and their spouses.

Bankrupt Sri Lanka couldn’t afford to look after political families, MP Dissanayake told a gathering in Colombo on Sunday. Referring to the former first lady Hema Premadasa receiving full state patronage since the assassination of her husband Ranasinghe Premadasa on May Day 1993, the JVP leader asked why successive governments had paid for maintaining what he called the former first lady’s luxury style.

MP Dissanayake said that if the JJB formed a government, such waste would be stopped forthwith.

The JVPer questioned the funds allocated for former Presidents Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga, Mahinda Rajapaksa, Maithripala Sirisena, and Gotabaya Rajapaksa at a time a vast majority of people were struggling to make ends meet.

Alleging that the government was working overtime to indefinitely put off the Local Government polls, scheduled for March 09, MP Dissanayake said that the growing indications that the JJB would make significant gains at the forthcoming poll jolted the government, and the Opposition, as well. MP Dissanayake alleged that in addition to the SJB and the Opposition Leader’s group, the Maithripala Sirisena-Dayasiri Jayasekera camp were thoroughly disturbed by the public response, received by the JJB.

Colombo District lawmaker Dissanayake said that the so called VIPs and VIP groups hadn’t experienced such a threatening situation before. The JVP leader asked the gathering whether they could think of one justifiable reason for the bankrupt government to allocate funds for ex-Presidents and ex-Presidents now serving as members of Parliament. Dissanayake said that the allocation of over Rs 10 mn each for ex-presidents couldn’t be accepted, under any circumstances.

MP Dissanayake also questioned the significant allocations made for two of President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s closest associates and presidential advisors, Sagala Ratnayake and Akila Viraj Kariyawasam.

In spite of both of them being rejected by the people at the last general election, held in August 2020, they received special treatment, MP Dissanayake said, claiming that Ratnayake, one-time Law and Order Minister, received a Rs 150,000 as monthly salary, Rs 81,400 fuel allowance, Rs 50,000 transport allowance and Rs 7,500 telephone allowance. Akila Viraj Kariyawasam received Rs 100,000 monthly salary, Rs 66,825 fuel allowance and an expensive SUV.

MP Dissanayake said that those in the government, and the Opposition, threatened by the rapidly changing political environment, ganged up against the JJB for obvious reasons.

The JVP leader said that they had been greatly strengthened by the sizable number of ex-military personnel, including senior officers, throwing their weight behind the growing political movement. Referring to former Eastern Commander, Maj. Gen. K.P. Anura Jayasekera, declaring his support for the JJB, MP Dissanayake said that though the military generally was opposed to left political parties, there was a significant and unexpected shift in response to the post-Gotabaya developments.

In the wake of Maj. Gen. Jayasekera’s declaration of support to the JJB, Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka has alleged that the extremist group, led by Zahran Hashim, stepped up activity during Jayasekera’s tenure as the Easter Commander. Lawmaker Dissanayake dismissed what he called the Field Marshal’s childish attempt to tarnish the former Eastern Commander’s name. Jayasekera received appointment as the Eastern Commander, in Nov. 2018.

How could the public have faith in a system where a person who killed a political opponent, during an election campaign, and was found guilty by courts, received appointment as State Minister, MP Dissanayake asked. The JVPer said that those who exercised political power realized that their days were numbered.

Referring to the Colombo High Court ruling, given in June 2022, pertaining to Housing Minister Prasanna Ranatunga, who is also the Chief Government Whip, MP Dissanayake said that Ranatunga was sentenced to two years rigorous imprisonment, suspended for five years, after he was found guilty of one of the charges in a case filed for threatening a businessman.

The Colombo High Court also imposed a fine of Rs. 25 Million on the Minister and ordered him to pay Rs. 1 million as compensation. The Minister has appealed against the HC ruling but how could we ignore the original ruling, the JVPer asked.

The JVPer recalled how the Rajapaksas suppressed investigation into the alleged fake currency printing case, involving Dulanjali Premadasa and former first lady Shiranthi Rajapaksa’s Siriliya case.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Suspects involved in sureties controversy granted bail

Published

on

Kapila Chandrasena

Airbus bribe case:

Colombo Additional Magistrate Lahiru Silva yesterday (20) granted bail to Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan, who allegedly received money to stand as sureties for the late former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena. They were identified as residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, situated next to the Hulftsdorp court complex.

Chandrasena was found dead at his brother-in-law, Aravinda De Silva’s residence, at No. 38, Pedris Road, Kollupitiya, on 8 May.

The Magistrate also granted bail to B. A. Tissa and Perumal Ganesh, who arranged for Riswan and Irshan to stand as sureties for Chandrasena, who is under investigation for allegedly receiving a USD 2 million bribe through his wife to facilitate an Airbus deal. They, too, residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, were granted bail on two personal bail of Rs. 500,000 each.

Airbus had to pay USD 4 billion in penalties after admitting it had paid huge bribes to secure contracts in 20 countries. Sri Lanka is among them.

The Magistrate directed that the Grama Niladhari should certify their residence and the relevant certificates submitted to court and to establish the financial status of those who stood as sureties for the four persons.

The court was told that Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan obtained 17 Grama Niladhari certificates from January till May 2026. On the basis of a statement recorded from Keselwatta Grama Niladhari S. Nilantha Silva police informed court that the first suspect had obtained 10 certificates and the second person seven.

Fourth suspect Ganesh had first met those who stood as sureties, on 05 May, in the court premises and struck the deal. Crime OIC of Keselwatta Police, Sub Inspector K.W.D. Anuruddha, told court that Mohamed Riswan, Mohamed Irshan and B. A. Tissa hadn’t even known who Chandrasena was and were not related to him in anyway, according to investigations. Police requested that the four persons be further remanded.

The Magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for 25 June.

Legal sources said that such illegal practices were rampant, and in this particular case the Court Registrar should have been able to see that the sureties were very much unlikely to be relatives of Chandrasena.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

News

Steps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage

Published

on

The government has initiated a major conservation drive to protect its fragile northern marine ecosystems, with top government officials pledging stronger action against environmental degradation, destructive fishing practices, and Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing in the country’s northern seas and adjacent islands.

A high-level discussion chaired jointly by Deputy Minister of Environment Anton Jayakody and Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekara was held on Tuesday (19) at the Ministry of Environment to formulate an integrated strategy aimed at safeguarding Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage and accelerating marine conservation initiatives.

Senior naval officers, top environment officials, conservation experts, and representatives from several state agencies attended the meeting, which focused heavily on the declaration of new Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Northern Province.

Among those present were Secretary to the Ministry of Environment K.R. Uduwawala, Chairman of the Marine Environment Protection Authority Samantha Gunasekara, Director General of the Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management Department Prof. Turny Pradeep Kumara, Conservator General of Forests Palamakumbura, officials of the Department of Wildlife Conservation, and senior ecologists from International Union for Conservation of Nature.

Officials stressed that the protection of Sri Lanka’s northern marine zone was essential not only for biodiversity conservation but also for sustaining the livelihoods of fishing communities and strengthening the country’s maritime standing internationally.

A major concern raised during the meeting was the increasing ecological destruction caused by IUU fishing activities. Ministers warned that such unlawful practices posed a severe threat to marine biodiversity and the economic stability of local fishermen.

The discussion also focused on intensifying surveillance operations and strengthening law enforcement mechanisms to combat destructive fishing methods, including dynamite fishing, unauthorized spearfishing, and the use of banned fishing gear that continue to devastate coral reef ecosystems and endangered marine species.

Attention was also drawn to governance and infrastructure shortcomings within fishing harbours, with officials identifying the lack of proper management systems and formal regulatory mechanisms as major vulnerabilities contributing to environmental degradation.

As part of the proposed conservation strategy, several islands and surrounding marine zones in the Northern Province have now been identified for official declaration as Marine Protected Areas.

Authorities clarified that the establishment of MPAs would not undermine the livelihoods of local communities but instead promote sustainable fishing practices while opening new opportunities for eco-tourism development.

Officials said these protected marine zones could eventually be developed into internationally recognised eco-tourism destinations, generating fresh economic opportunities for the Northern Province while enhancing Sri Lanka’s environmental credentials globally.

The meeting further highlighted that the declaration of new MPAs would reinforce Sri Lanka’s commitment to international biodiversity conservation obligations and demonstrate the country’s role as a responsible custodian of the Indian Ocean’s marine resources.

A proposal was also made to establish a multi-sectoral working group comprising representatives from the Ministries of Tourism, Fisheries, Defence, Environment, and Justice to implement a coordinated mechanism for the protection of coastal and marine resources under the leadership of the Ministry of Environment.

Officials described the initiative as another significant milestone in Sri Lanka’s broader journey towards building a sustainable biosphere and ensuring long-term environmental security for future generations.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

CEJ’s landmark legal battles reshape Sri Lanka’s environmental justice landscape

Published

on

Dilena with Senior Attorney-at-Law, Dr. Ravindranath Dabare, and CEJ Chairman Hemantha Withanage

In a country where environmental destruction, political interference and weak enforcement have often overshadowed conservation efforts, the Centre for Environmental Justice (CEJ) has emerged as one of Sri Lanka’s most formidable legal defenders of nature.2

From the catastrophic MV X-Press Pearl Disaster to the destruction of the Wilpattu National Park ecosystem, CEJ has consistently used the courts to challenge environmental crimes, state negligence and corporate irresponsibility, securing several landmark judgments that have transformed the country’s environmental jurisprudence.

Speaking to The Island, CEJ Executive Director Dilena Pathragoda said these legal victories were not merely courtroom successes but historic interventions aimed at safeguarding the rights of future generations.

“Environmental litigation is not only about protecting forests, rivers or wildlife. It is fundamentally about protecting people, public health, livelihoods and the constitutional rights of future generations to live in a safe and healthy environment,” Pathragoda said.

Among the most consequential legal actions spearheaded by CEJ was the litigation surrounding the X-Press Pearl maritime disaster, regarded as Sri Lanka’s worst marine environmental catastrophe.

The Island, which was among the first newspapers to consistently highlight the gravity of the X-Press Pearl environmental disaster and its long-term ecological consequences, closely followed the legal battle that eventually resulted in a landmark compensation ruling.

The Singapore-flagged cargo vessel caught fire and sank off Sri Lanka’s western coast in 2021, releasing massive quantities of hazardous chemicals, microplastics and pollutants into the Indian Ocean, devastating marine ecosystems and fishing communities.

Pathragoda noted that the Supreme Court’s direction for compensation amounting to nearly USD 1 billion marked a turning point in Sri Lankan environmental law.

“For the first time, Sri Lanka robustly applied the internationally recognised ‘Polluter Pays Principle’ in a manner that sent a strong signal to multinational corporations and shipping operators that environmental destruction carries enormous legal and financial consequences,” he said.

Environmentalists say the ruling significantly strengthened accountability standards for transboundary pollution and maritime negligence.

Wilpattu judgment becomes watershed moment.

The CEJ-led litigation over the illegal clearing of forests adjoining Wilpattu National Park is widely regarded as one of the most powerful environmental rulings in South Asia.

The controversial clearing of the Marichchukaddi forest reserve for settlement purposes triggered widespread outrage among conservationists and scientists.

According to Pathragoda, the judgment established that politically motivated environmental destruction could not be justified under any circumstances.

“The court recognised that no authority, regardless of political power, has the right to destroy protected forests in violation of environmental laws,” he stressed.

In a landmark directive, the Court of Appeal ordered reforestation of the destroyed lands and held responsible state actors personally accountable for restoration efforts.

Legal analysts described the ruling as a major advancement in public trust doctrine and environmental accountability in Sri Lanka.

CEJ also played a central role in challenging controversial government attempts to legitimise the possession of illegally captured wild elephant calves through relaxed registration regulations.

The organisation argued that the gazette notification undermined wildlife protection laws and effectively rewarded wildlife traffickers.

“Sri Lanka’s elephants are part of our national heritage and ecological identity. Weakening protections for illegally captured elephants would have legitimised wildlife crime,” Pathragoda said.

The resulting court intervention became a significant legal safeguard for wildlife conservation and strengthened enforcement against illegal wildlife trade networks.

The deadly Meethotamulla Garbage Dump Collapse disaster also became a defining moment for environmental litigation in Sri Lanka.

CEJ had long warned authorities about the dangers posed by the uncontrolled garbage mountain in a densely populated residential area.

After the catastrophic collapse that killed dozens of residents, legal proceedings intensified scrutiny on failures in waste management governance.

Pathragoda said the tragedy demonstrated the devastating human cost of environmental negligence.

“Environmental justice is inseparable from social justice. Poor communities are often forced to bear the heaviest burden of pollution, waste and environmental mismanagement,” he observed.

The case helped reinforce the principle that improper waste disposal and environmental negligence can amount to violations of citizens’ fundamental rights.

CEJ also gained international attention through its legal challenge against the illegal importation of hazardous waste containers from the United Kingdom.

Hundreds of containers containing clinical and mixed waste had been brought into Sri Lanka in violation of international environmental conventions and domestic regulations.

The legal action ultimately compelled authorities to ensure the waste was returned to the country of origin.

“Sri Lanka cannot and must never become a dumping ground for toxic waste generated by wealthy nations,” Pathragoda asserted.

Environmental observers said the case strengthened Sri Lanka’s standing under the Basel Convention and reinforced national sovereignty in environmental governance.

Pathragoda believes Sri Lanka’s environmental litigation landscape is evolving rapidly, with courts increasingly willing to intervene where environmental harm threatens public welfare.

However, he warned that environmental destruction continues at an alarming pace due to weak enforcement, political patronage and short-term economic priorities.

“The real challenge is not the absence of laws. Sri Lanka already possesses many strong environmental statutes. The problem lies in implementation, political interference and the lack of accountability,” he said.

He added that CEJ would continue pursuing strategic litigation to protect forests, biodiversity, marine ecosystems and vulnerable communities.

“Every environmental case we file is ultimately about ensuring that future generations inherit a country that is still ecologically alive,” Pathragoda said.

He noted as climate risks intensify and ecological pressures mount, CEJ’s courtroom battles are increasingly being viewed not merely as legal contests, but as critical struggles over the environmental future of Sri Lanka itself.

 

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

Trending