Foreign News
Trump hosts Saudi Arabia’s Mohammed bin Salman
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has received a warm welcome to the White House from United States President Donald Trump in a visit that has emphasised the deepening ties between Riyadh and Washington.
The White House rolled the literal red carpet out for Prince Mohammed, known as MBS, on Tuesday. Trump greeted him with a ceremony that featured marching bands, flag-carrying horsemen and a military flyover.
The opulent display of hospitality signalled Trump’s embrace of what he sees as a new Middle East driven by financial investments and US partnerships with allies in the region, chiefly Saudi Arabia.
After Prince Mohammed’s arrival through the South Portico, he and Trump took questions from journalists in the Oval Office. The two leaders spoke of business opportunities, peace, artificial intelligence and the tech business.
The apparent challenges in the region, including the continuing humanitarian crisis in Gaza, appeared to take a back seat during their Oval Office appearance. Here are the key takeaways from the meeting:
In recent months, Trump has repeatedly said he would like Saudi Arabia to join the so-called Abraham Accords, which established formal relations between Israel and several Arab countries.
On Tuesday, Prince Mohammed and Trump signalled possible progress on the issue without providing details or a timeline for a potential deal. The crown prince, however, did reiterate that Riyadh wants to advance the establishment of a Palestinian state as part of a potential agreement.
“We believe having a good relation with all Middle Eastern countries is a good thing, and we want to be part of the Abraham Accords,” Prince Mohammed told reporters.
“But we want also to be sure that we secure a clear path [to a] two-state solution. And today we have a healthy discussion with Mr President that we’ve got to work on that, to be sure that we can prepare the right situation as soon as possible to have that.”
Saudi officials have previously stressed that Riyadh is committed to the Arab Peace Initiative, which conditions the recognition of Israel on the establishment of a Palestinian state.
Trump said he had “good talks” with Prince Mohammed about the issue.
“We talked about one state, two states. We talked about a lot of things. In a short period of time, we’ll be discussing it further too,” the US president said.
When asked whether the US and Saudi Arabia have reached a defence deal, Trump said: “We pretty much have. We have reached an agreement on that.”
The details of the negotiation are not clear, but Riyadh has been seeking a mutual defence pact with Washington akin to NATO’s Article Five, which would see the US come to the kingdom’s aid if it fell under attack.
Trump had confirmed on Monday that he will authorise the sale of F-35 fighter jets to Saudi Arabia.
During the meeting with MBS, he said the jets would not be downgraded to ensure Israel’s military superiority in the region, a departure from a US policy known as “qualitative military edge”.
“They’d like you to get planes of reduced calibre. I don’t think that makes you too happy,” he told the Saudi crown prince.
“They’ve been a great ally. Israel has been a great ally, and we’re looking at that exactly right now. But as far as I’m concerned, I think they are both at a level where they should get top of the line.”
Trump once again expressed pride in the US strikes against Iran’s nuclear facilities in June.
“We did that on behalf of everybody, and the outcome was extraordinary because we have the best pilots, the best equipment, the best planes, the best everything,” he said.
The US president later shifted to a softer tone on Iran, saying Tehran is seeking a diplomatic resolution with Washington, which has sought the dismantlement of its nuclear programme.
“I am totally open to it, and we’re talking to them,” Trump said.
“And we start a process. But it would be a nice thing to have a deal with Iran. And we could have done it before the war, but that didn’t work out. And something will happen there, I think.”
Saudi Arabia’s official news agency, SPA, had reported that MBS had received a handwritten letter addressed to him from Iranian President Masood Pezeshkian before his trip to Washington. No details were available about its content.
On Tuesday, Prince Mohammed said Saudi Arabia would back a US-Iran deal.
“We will do our best to help to reach a deal between the United States of America and Iran,” he told reporters. “And we believe it’s good for Iran’s future to have a good deal that would satisfy the region and the world and the United States of America.”
At the outset of the two leaders’ public remarks, Trump expressed gratitude for anticipated Saudi investments in the US, which he said will be in the hundreds of billions of dollars.
“I want to thank you because you’ve agreed to invest $600bn into the United States. And because he’s my friend, he might make it $1 trillion, but I’m going to have to work on him,” Trump said.
He added that the Saudi funds will create jobs and resources for US companies and Wall Street investment firms.
For his part, MBS said the Saudi investments in the US will likely rise to $1 trillion.
“The agreement that we are signing today in many areas – in technology and AI, in rare materials, magnet, etc – that will create a lot of investment opportunities,” he said.
The crown prince echoed Trump’s assessment that the US is now the “hottest country” in the world, adding that the kingdom wants to be part of the “foundation of emerging technologies” in the US.
Trump and MBS were all smiles as they exchanged flattering comments from the moment the crown prince arrived at the White House.
At one point, Trump reached for Prince Mohammed’s hand and held it as he criticised his predecessor, former US President Joe Biden, for giving MBS only a fist bump when he visited Riyadh during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2021.
“I grabbed that hand. I don’t give a hell where that hand’s been,” Trump said.
The US president described the Saudi crown prince as “fantastic” and “brilliant”.
“We have an extremely respected man in the Oval Office today, and a friend of mine for a long time – very good friend of mine,” Trump said.
“I’m very proud of the job he’s done. What he’s done is incredible in terms of human rights and everything else.”
The US president went on to rebuke an ABC News reporter for asking a challenging question of Prince Mohammed, accusing her of disrespecting his guest.
When the same journalist later asked Trump why he would not voluntarily release government files related to sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, Trump said ABC News’s broadcasting licence should be revoked.
“You start off with a man who is highly respected, asking him a horrible, insubordinate and just a terrible question,” Trump said, referring to the earlier question to MBS.
“And you could even ask that same exact question nicely. You’re all psyched. Somebody psyched you over at ABC. You’re going to psych it. You’re a terrible person and a terrible reporter.”
About the same time as Trump welcomed MBS, the US House of Representatives passed a bill to compel the release of the Epstein files.
[Aljazeera]
Foreign News
Rescue diver dies during search for bodies of Italians who drowned in Maldives caves
A rescue diver has died while searching for the bodies of a group of Italians who died in a scuba-diving accident in the Maldives.
Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee was taken to hospital in critical condition and later succumbed to his injuries, a government spokesman told the BBC on Saturday.
Five Italians died while attempting to explore caves at a depth of around 50m (164ft) on Thursday. So far, the body of one of them is thought to have been recovered, in a cave at a depth of around 60m (197ft).
The incident is believed to be the worst single diving accident in the tiny Indian Ocean nation, a popular tourist destination because of its string of coral islands.
Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu travelled to Vaavu Atoll on Saturday to observe the search operations.
“Eight rescue divers went into the water today. When they surfaced, they realised Mahdhee didn’t come up,” Mohamed Hossain Shareef, a Maldivian government spokesman told the BBC.
The other divers immediately went into the water again and they found Mahdhee had blacked out.
The Maldives military has described the operation as very high risk, with unfavourable weather conditions.
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani sent condolences: “These days of grief for Italy are compounded by the news that one of your brave soldiers… died while attempting to dive to reach the bodies of our fellow Italians.”
“This tragedy unites Italy and the Maldives in grief and respect for the victims,” he added.

Four of the Italian divers were part of a University of Genoa team, including professor of ecology Monica Montefalcone, her daughter and two researchers. The fifth was a boat operations manager and diving instructor.
The five entered the water at Vaavu Atoll on Thursday morning, local media said, and were reported missing when they failed to resurface later on.
Police said the weather was rough in the area, about 100km (62 miles) south of the capital, Male. A yellow warning was issued for passenger boats and fishermen.
Shareef said recreational scuba divers were only allowed to dive up to a depth of 30m and it was not clear why the Italians went into a cave that’s 60m under water.
Italy’s foreign ministry said earlier that another 20 Italian nationals aboard the Duke of York yacht, from which the five divers took off, were unharmed and receiving assistance from the Embassy of Italy in Colombo, Sri Lanka
[BBC]
Foreign News
At least eight killed, 35 injured as train hits bus in Bangkok
At least eight people have been killed, and dozens injured, after a freight train crashed into a public bus in Thailand’s capital.
Flames engulfed the bus and nearby vehicles near an airport rail link station in the centre of Bangkok Saturday afternoon.
The city’s emergency services Erawan Medical Center confirmed the number of deaths, while Bangkok police chief Urumporn Koondejsumrit told AFP news agency at least 35 people were injured.
Speaking to reporters at the scene, Deputy Transport Minister Siripong Angkasakulkiat said that all the bodies were found on the bus. It was not yet clear how many people were on board in total.
Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul ordered an investigation into the crash, according to a statement from his office.
Al Jazeera’s Tony Cheng, reporting from Bangkok, said the crash unfolded around 3:40pm local time (08:40 GMT), when the bus appeared to get stuck on an intersection with the rail line after the safety barriers descended.
As the freight train rammed into the stationary bus and continued travelling, it dragged several nearby vehicles along with it before the bus burst into flames.
Siripong would not confirm whether the bus had stopped on the railway track or discuss reports that the barriers may not have lowered properly, saying the matter still needs to be investigated.
Firefighters and rescue crews were dispatched to pull people from the wreckage and battle the flames as motorcyclists and passersby attempted to redirect traffic.
The fire has since been brought under control.
[Aljazeera]
Foreign News
New Zealand’s Māori Queen meets King Charles at Buckingham Palace
New Zealand’s Māori Queen Te Arikinui Kuini Nga Wai hono i te po has met King Charles III at Buckingham Palace.
The meeting with the British monarch was Te Arikinui’s first since she became queen in 2024, following the death of her father, Kiingi Tuheitia.
The visit marks a near 200-year relationship between the indigenous peoples of New Zealand and the crown, formalised in the Treaty of Waitangi, one of New Zealand’s founding documents.
A spokesperson for the queen says the two discussed the former king’s death in what was a “heartfelt” discussion, as well as the strengthening of their relationship.

Earlier this week, the Māori queen was also welcomed by Prince William to Windsor Castle.
In a post on Instagram, Prince William acknowledged the visit, saying, “it was a pleasure to meet with the Queen.”
A statement released after the meeting from the Kīngitanga said the Māori queen discussed a range of global topics with Prince William.
“Te Arikinui affirmed her belief in the power of indigenous knowledge and intergenerational stewardship to help solve the world’s environmental and social challenges.”
Te Arikinui was crowned in 2024 after the death of her father – becoming only the second Māori queen, the first being her grandmother, Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu.
The Māori monarchy dates back to the 19th Century, when different Māori tribes decided to create a unifying figure similar to that of a European monarch in order to try to prevent the widespread loss of land to New Zealand’s British colonisers and to preserve Māori culture. It is a largely ceremonial and symbolic role.
[BBC]
-
News5 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features1 day agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
Features6 days agoHigh Stakes in Pursuing corruption cases
-
Features6 days agoWhen University systems fail:Supreme Court’s landmark intervention in sexual harassment case
-
News2 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review5 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
Features3 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
Opinion4 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
