News
Lanka’s friendly nations abstained UNHRC voting – foreign minister
By SHIHAR ANEEZ
ECONOMYNEXT –The latest resolution that promotes reconciliation in Sri Lanka was passed by 20 votes against 7 at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) on Thursday with many countries which have been close to the island nation’s ruling elite voted against the island nation’s wish.The new resolution also has focused on how human rights impact of the economic crisis.
Twenty countries including India, Japan, Indonesia, Qatar Malaysia, and the United Arab Emirates abstained from the voting for the resolution that also demands the island nation to address past human rights abuses.
“This is nothing unexpected. There was so much pressure on some countries to vote in favour of the resolution. So we knew this,” Foreign Minister Ali Sabry told EconomyNext via phone from Geneva soon after the voting ended.
“The composition has changed and some of our friendly nations are not there and some abstained,” Minister Sabry said.
“This has been in the agenda from 2009. Locally we we have to come with a strong truth seeking mechanism which we should have done from 2009 to a level where no other country meddles with our internal matter.”
The new resolution, the toughest Sri Lanka has faced so far, is likely to tighten Sri Lanka’s space to deal with international trade further as several key conventions in trade concessions like Europe’s GSP Plus are tied directly to human rights.Already the European Union has threatened to withdraw its trade concession as the country has failed to fulfill its commitments on implementing some key international conventions.
The draft resolution, titled “Promoting reconciliation, accountability and human rights in Sri Lanka” and sponsored by the United Kingdom, the United States, Germany, Canada, Malawi, Montenegro and North Macedonia.It is the 7th UNHRC resolution against Sri Lanka’s human rights record since a 26-year war ended in 2009. Sri Lanka won against the resolution only in 2009 and there was no voting in 2015 as Sri Lanka opted to cooperate with the UNHRC resolution.
The latest resolution comes as Sri Lanka is seeking support of all foreign nations to find its way out from an unprecedented economic crisis that led to a political crisis and ousted former prime minister and president after their economic mismanagement.The draft also underscores the importance of addressing underlying governance factors and root causes that have contributed to Sri Lanka’s unprecedented economic crisis. It also recognizes that the promotion and protection of human rights and the prevention of and fight against corruption are mutually reinforcing.
The UN Human Rights High Commissioner in a report recommended to reduce military spending considerably, tackle corruption decisively, increase investments in health, social security and education through international cooperation and assess any potential human rights impact of international financial assistance programmes and take preventive measures to reduce it to the bare minimum.
Simon Manley, the Ambassador and Permanent Representative for the United Kingdom Mission to the WTO, UN and Other International Organisations (Geneva) said the resolution text is largely based on last year’s resolution but has been updated to reflect some of the key developments over the last 18 months including an economic crisis, mass protests, and a change in government, all of which have had a significant bearing on the human rights situation in the country.
“It reflects some of the more recent concerns outlined in the High Commissioner’s report, especially the human rights impact of the economic crisis,” he said.
The main requests in the resolution seek to continue the work initiated in last year’s resolution which created capacity within the Office of the High Commissioner to collect, consolidate, analyse and preserve information to support judicial and other proceedings.
“This capacity was set up in response to the lack of progress made by Sri Lanka’s domestic legal mechanisms towards accountability for past alleged gross violations of human rights.”
The new draft requests further reporting by office of UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) and proposes to move from an 18-month time frame to 2 years with an aim to give sufficient time amid economic crisis.
“The adoption of the UN Human Rights Council’s resolution reflects the need for continuing international scrutiny on Sri Lanka,” Dinushika Dissanayake, Amnesty International’s Deputy Regional Director for South Asia, said in a statement.
“The Government of Sri Lanka should abide by the commitments it has made to the international community and ensure the effective operation of redressal bodies for human rights violations, such as the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka, the Office on Missing Persons, the Office on Reparations, and the National Authority for the protection of Victims of a Crime and Witnesses, among others.”
Meenakshi Ganguly, South Asia director for Human Rights Watch said Sri Lankan government should now act to uphold economic, social and political rights demanded by thousands through peaceful protests, end repression against protesters, and ensure accountability for abuses including war crimes.
Sri Lankan government has taken some baby steps to address to protect human rights and the past violations. That drew severe criticism from the West and rights groups as successive Sri Lankan government failed to hold anybody accountable for the past violations.
Sri Lanka’s Foreign Minister Ali Sabry has said the country will not support any external evidence gathering mechanism as it was against the island nation’s constitution. He has also criticised the inclusion of economic crisis in the latest draft citing that the UNHRC has no mandate to probe economic crimes.Sri Lanka is in the process of obtaining a $2.9 billion IMF loans and some government officials have raised concerns over the latest resolution which has included economic crimes and corruption.
“We have not been informed anything by the IMF if there could be an impact on the loan due to the UNHRC resolution,” Central Bank governor Nandalal Weerasinghe told reporters in Colombo at the monetary policy rates briefing on Thursday.
News
Sri Lanka cricket finances ‘greater than feared’: interim chief
(AFP)Financial irregularities surrounding Sri Lankan cricket were far worse than feared, government-appointed administrators said Thursday, promising a full accounting and sweeping reforms.
“We have already ordered a forensic audit of the accounts,” Eran Wickramaratne, interim president of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), told his first news conference since taking office last month.
He said financial irregularities were “far greater than initially feared”.
He said the new SLC leadership — handpicked by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake — would bring in sweeping reforms as concerns linger over international sanctions.
The current administration was appointed following the mass resignation of SLC’s elected officials last month — a move that raised fears of possible suspension by the International Cricket Council (ICC) over political interference.
The SLC, the country’s richest sports body, was suspended for two months in 2023 on similar grounds.
Wickramaratne, however, said discussions with the ICC were underway on reforming the SLC.
“Our talks with the ICC have been extremely cordial and constructive,” he said.
“We have been very open and transparent in what we are doing, and they want us to pursue open and transparent methods in doing this.”
Reforms include drafting a new constitution aimed at curbing abuses that allowed groups to retain power for a prolonged period, he added.
Four-time SLC president Shammi Silva and his entire committee stepped down in April after the government intervention, clearing the way for the current overhaul.The previous administration had also faced criticism over the national team’s performances, including an early exit from the T20 World Cup, which Sri Lanka co-hosted with India earlier this year.
News
Police roll out countrywide security plan for Vesak Week
The Police have announced a special islandwide security programme for Vesak Week to ensure the public can observe religious activities in a peaceful and secure environment, free from fear or inconvenience.
The Police Department said the measures have been introduced in view of heightened religious observances across the country during the Vesak season, with Buddhists worldwide preparing to mark Vesak Full Moon Poya Day on 30 May 2026.
Authorities said large crowds are expected at major Buddhist sites, including ancient places of worship, while Vesak lantern displays, pandals and Bhakthi Gee programmes will be held across the island.
Under the special security plan, the Inspector General of Police has directed all police stations to take steps to minimise traffic congestion and ensure public convenience in areas with high footfall.
The Police Department said enhanced day and night mobile patrols will be deployed across all divisions, alongside special security operations aimed at safeguarding public safety and protecting property during the festive period.
Authorities also warned that strict legal action will be taken against individuals or groups whose behaviour is deemed to undermine the dignity and sanctity of Vesak or cause inconvenience to devotees.
In a set of public guidelines issued for the season, the Police Department urged organisers of Dansal programmes to comply with health and safety standards and implement proper crowd management measures to prevent congestion.
The public has also been advised to refrain from behaviour deemed inappropriate for the religious season, avoid excessive noise, and ensure responsible use of loudspeakers with prior approval.
Devotees have been requested to abstain from alcohol and narcotic substances during Vesak activities, while being urged to remain vigilant against theft in crowded areas and ensure the safety of children and elderly persons.
The Police Department further encouraged the public to report emergencies via hotlines 118 and 119, and to submit relevant video footage of traffic violations or environmental offences through designated WhatsApp channels for legal action.
Authorities said the measures are aimed at ensuring that Vesak is observed in a spirit of peace, devotion and public harmony across the country.
News
India, Lanka boost air power ties as IAF Chief visits Colombo
(ANI) May 22:Marking a critical milestone in regional security cooperation, India’s Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal AP Singh, addressed the National Defence College (NDC) in Sri Lanka during his three-day visit to the island nation.
Speaking on the strategic imperative of “Air Power in the 21st Century,” the Air Chief Marshal highlighted the evolving dynamics of modern warfare and the growing necessity of robust bilateral military partnerships in the Indian Ocean Region.
The high-level interaction served as a central fixture of his three-day official visit to the island nation, aimed at anchoring the defence ties between the two neighbours.
Sharing the details in a post on X, the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka said that the Air Chief also interacted with the Commandant and the National Defence College course participants.
The Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal A P Singh visited the National Defence College, Sri Lanka on 20 May 26. He spoke on the topic ‘Air power in the 21st century’ and interacted with the Commandant and NDC course participants
Earlier on Wednesday, the High Commission shared that the Air Chief was received with a Guard of Honour at SLAF headquarters prior to formal meetings on Tuesday, prior to his call on with the Commander of SLAF.
“He also called on the Deputy Minister of Defence Maj Gen Aruna Jayasekara (Retd), and the Secretary Defence, AVM Sampath Thuyacontha (Retd). ACM A P Singh paid his respects to the IPKF martyrs by laying a wreath at the monument in Bataramulla”, the post added.
Air Chief AP Singh had arrived in Sri Lanka on an official visit from 19-21 May 26.
India and Sri Lanka have a longstanding defence partnership.
Earlier in April, the two countries reaffirmed their growing maritime partnership through the fourth edition of the bilateral diving exercise, IN-SLN DIVEX 2026, conducted at Colombo from April 21-28.
The exercise witnessed participation of the Indian Navy’s Diving Support and Submarine Rescue Vessel, INS Nireekshak, alongside diving teams from both navies- underscoring enhanced operational coordination and professional synergy, the Indian Navy said in a statement.
As India continues to deepen its military engagements with friendly nations, the multilateral military Exercise PRAGATI 2026 commenced on Wednesday at Umroi Military Station, Meghalaya, with the participation of 12 friendly nations, namely Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
-
Features4 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
News3 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
Opinion3 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
-
Sports4 days agoSri Lanka women’s volleyball team ready for Central Asian challenge
-
Editorial3 days agoA play without its protagonist
-
Midweek Review4 days agoOverall SLPP failures stressed in new Aragalaya narrative
-
Opinion2 days agoThe need to reform Buddhist ecclesiastical order
-
Latest News5 days agoAt least 100 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says
