News
Ranawaka frowns on amnesty to 12,000 Tiger cadres, endorses C4 allegations
‘Ram and Nagulan responsible for over 600 killings roaming free’
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Sri Lanka Republican Front leader Patali Champika Ranawaka, MP, has questioned the circumstances under which the Rajapaksas granted amnesty to 12,600 LTTE cadres following the successful conclusion of the war in May 2009. However, some of them were released during the Yahapalana administration (2015-2019) in which Ranawaka served as a Cabinet Minister.
Ranawaka has also sought an explanation from former President Mahinda Rajapaksa and his brothers, Gotabaya and Basil as to how they freed Kumaran Pathmanathan (better known as KP), the self-proclaimed successor of LTTE leader Velupillai Prabhakaran, Vinayagamurthy Muralitharan aka Karuna, Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pilleyan and two killers known as Ram and Nagulan.
‘KP’ lives here under military protection whereas Pilleyan, leader of YMVP (Tamil Makkal Viduthalai Pulikal) serves the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government as State Minister of Rural Road Development.
Ranawaka, who was also member of President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s Cabinet, from 2010 to 2014, asked the Rajapaksas to explain their understanding with the LTTE. He raised a spate of issues, including the general amnesty granted to the defeated LTTE, and special treatment meted out to a selected group of LTTE personnel, at a media briefing held over the weekend at the Narahenpita party office. The Opposition MP briefed the media in the wake of British television Channel 4 alleging complicity of the Rajapaksas and breakaway LTTE faction TMVP in the 2019 Easter Sunday carnage and other high-profile cases, including the assassination of Sunday Leader Editor Lasantha Wickrematunga, in January 2009.
MP Ranawaka pointed out that the C4 documentary had been based on disclosure made by Hanzeer Azad Maulana, one-time close associate of Pilleyan.The former PHU heavyweight said that the amnesty granted to ‘KP’ should be examined against the backdrop of his alleged involvement in the assassination of Rajiv Gandhi in May 1991.
Alleging that C4, as well as the BBC, over the years, directed unsubstantiated war crimes accusations, MP Ranawaka said that an attempt was being made to deceive the population that the Rajapaksas were the target of the latest C4 documentary that dealt with the situation here since 2005.
MP Ranawaka recalled the Public Security Minister Tiran Alles’s confession years ago regarding payment made to the LTTE to influence the group to order Tamil speaking people in the North and East to boycott the 2005 presidential election.
People’s Alliance candidate Mahinda Rajapaksa defeated the UNP candidate Ranil Wickremesinghe by 186,000 votes at the 2005 presidential election.Alleging that Ram and Nagulan had spearheaded attacks that claimed the lives of over 600 persons in Hambantota, Panama, Ampara and Moneragala during the conflict, MP Ranawaka said that a future government, consisting of his party, would initiate legal action against those responsible for the heinous crimes.
Referring to Mahinda Rajapaksa’s disclosure after the change of government at the Gatambe Rajopawanaramaye that a group of Muslim extremists had been provided protection by his government, MP Ranawaka stressed that the Rajapaksa brothers (Mahinda and Gotabaya) former Chief of National Intelligence (CNI) Maj. Gen. Kapila Hendarawithana and head of State Intelligence Service (SIS) owed an explanation to the public in this regard.
MP Ranawaka asked who continued with the relationship with those who fought for the LTTE 15 years after the eradication of their conventional military capability. Commenting further on the C4 documentary, Ranawaka pointed out that the government should be mindful of the disclosure that the Geneva-based UNHRC and unnamed European intelligence services gained access to Pilleyan’s aide Moulana. The former minister said that Inspector Nishantha Silva of the CID had avoided the fate befallen on former Director, CID, Shanie Abeysekera by fleeing the country. MP Ranawaka declared that the Inspector’s statement pertaining to Sunday Leader Editor Lasantha Wickrematunga’s assassination was now before the UNHRC. Inspector Silva secured political asylum in Switzerland immediately after the last presidential election.
Ranawaka said that Moulana’s allegations should be examined taking into consideration submissions made by former Senior DIG, CID, Ravi Seneviratne and SSP Shanie Abeysekara pertaining to the Easter Sunday carnage to the Supreme Court.
The ex-minister asked the Rajapaksas to explain how they had received the backing of the National Thowheed Jamaat (NTJ) at the 2019 presidential election. MP Ranawaka endorsed Moulana’s accusations pertaining to several incidents in the run-up to the Easter Sunday massacre. They include the killing of two policemen at a checkpoint at Vavnathivu, Batticaloa, on 30 Nov., 2018. MP Ranawaka claimed that he, too, was on the NTJ hit list. Alleging that the Rajapaksas had unashamedly manipulated all communities to win the 2019 presidential poll, MP Ranawaka said that 6.9 mn votes polled by Gotabaya Rajapaksa had not reflected the real public sentiment.
News
Construction and Concrete waste recycling centre opened in Ekala under the Clean Sri Lanka programme
A recycling centre for the management of construction and demolition (C&D) waste, established in line with the Clean Sri Lanka national programme, was declared open this morning (08) at the Ekala Industrial Zone.
The Clean Sri Lanka Secretariat has allocated Rs. 200 million for this project. Established within the precast yard premises belonging to the State Engineering Corporation under the Ministry of Housing, Construction and Water Supply, the project marks a significant step towards a sustainable environmental transformation in Sri Lanka’s construction sector.
Globally, the construction industry accounts for 40% of total waste generation and 25% of carbon emissions. In Sri Lanka, nearly 300 tonnes of such waste are collected daily from the Western Province alone.
Until now, the indiscriminate disposal of such debris has contributed to soil pollution, water contamination and increased flood risks. Under this project, however, such waste will be transformed into valuable raw materials through modern technology. This initiative is expected to minimise the depletion of natural resources while significantly reducing construction costs.
The centre, which is being operated with the full involvement of the State Engineering Corporation, has been provided with machinery and land valued at Rs. 350 million. In addition to the recycling plant, which has a capacity of 200 metric tonnes per hour, a modern laboratory and an administrative building have also been constructed. Under the “Clean Sri Lanka” programme, Rs. 200 million has been allocated for the project, of which Rs. 150 million has already been released.
There are also plans to expand research activities in the future by engaging engineering faculties of State universities in the programme. The support and contribution of all construction contractors and stakeholders are expected in building a circular economy within the construction sector while safeguarding natural resources for future generations.
Minister of Housing, Construction and Water Supply Dr Susil Ranasinghe, Deputy Minister of Environment Anton Jayakody, Deputy Minister of Housing, Construction and Water Supply T.B. Sarath, Deputy Minister of Labour Mahinda Jayasinghe, Member of Parliament Najith Indika, Additional Secretary to the President at the Clean Sri Lanka Secretariat S.P.C. Sugeeshwara, Additional Director General of the Clean Sri Lanka Secretariat Kapila Senarath, Director (Environmental) of the Clean Sri Lanka Secretariat Anjula Premarathna, Chairman of the State Engineering Corporation Engineer Neranjan Fernando and Deputy General Manager of the State Engineering Corporation Charuka Hettiarachchi, along with several others, were present at the occasion.
News
President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam pays floral tribute to the Ho Chi Minh Statue
President of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam and General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam, To Lam, who is on a State visit to Sri Lanka at the invitation of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake, paid floral tribute this morning (08) to the statue of Ho Chi Minh situated within the premises of the Colombo Public Library.
Upon arriving at the Colombo Public Library, President To Lam was warmly received by President Anura Kumara Dissanayake, while a group of children holding the national flags of both countries stood along the route to welcome the Vietnamese President.
Following the floral tribute to the Ho Chi Minh statue, President To Lam also viewed a collection of paintings created by schoolchildren.
Thereafter, the Vietnamese President attended the ceremony marking the commencement of the expansion of the “Vietnam–Ho Chi Minh Space” located at the Colombo Public Library, where he also viewed a collection of historical photographs on display.
On the occasion, Chief Librarian of the Public Library, Mrs Varuni Gangabadarachchi, briefed those present on the architectural plans prepared for the renovation and expansion project of the Ho Chi Minh Space. A donation of US$50,000 for the project was also presented to the Mayor of Colombo, Mrs Vraie Cally Balthazaar, by Nguyen Huu Nghia, Member of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam and Auditor General of the State Audit Office of Vietnam.
Minister of Environment, Dr Dhammika Patabendi, Mayor of Colombo Mrs Vraie Cally Balthazaar, Deputy Mayor Hemantha Werakoon and several others were also present at the occasion.
[PMD]
News
Urgent reforms needed to eradicate drug menace, says President
President Anura Kumara Dissanayake has instructed officials to swiftly introduce all necessary reforms, including amendments to existing laws, in order to eliminate the drug menace from the country.
The President issued these instructions while attending the meeting of the “Ratama Ekata” National Steering Council convened on Thursday (07) morning at the Presidential Secretariat to discuss efforts aimed at eradicating the drug menace.
He also directed the relevant authorities to take all necessary steps to expedite the process of destroying seized narcotics as quickly as possible under proper legal procedures, thereby preventing them from re-entering society and to accelerate the process of punishing offenders.
The President emphasised the need to speed up this process in order to build public confidence, as well as the confidence of the teams engaged in operations, noting that the successful implementation of the “Ratama Ekata” national initiative would thereby be strengthened through collective participation.
The progress of anti-narcotics operations carried out under the “Ratama Ekata” national initiative, including raids and arrests, was extensively reviewed at the meeting. Officials pointed out that raids related to narcotics had increased by 80% since the launch of the programme.
Since the launch of the “Ratama Ekata” national operation on 30 October 2025, authorities have seized 5,437.457 kilogrammes of cannabis, 1,936.325 kilogrammes of heroin, 1,991.414 kilogrammes of crystal methamphetamine (“ice”), 271.724 kilogrammes of cocaine, 1,574,895 narcotic pills, and 629,988 illicit cigarettes. A total of 168,460 suspects have also been arrested in connection with these offences.
The current progress of the legal amendments required to eradicate the narcotics menace from the country was reviewed at the meeting, and it was noted that steps had been taken to submit the Rehabilitation (Amendment) Bill No. 54 of 2007 to the Cabinet in due course. Discussions were also held regarding the rehabilitation process, the strategies that could be adopted in that regard, and the measures taken to develop related facilities.
It was further revealed that, at Divisional Secretariat level, 25 families most severely affected by narcotics in each division had been selected for attitude development programmes. The President stressed the importance of implementing all such programmes through local religious centres.
The President also made clear that anti-drug awareness programmes should not merely be limited to conducting awareness campaigns, but should include continuous follow-up to assess whether the message had been properly communicated to society and to monitor progress. He highlighted the importance of maintaining this mechanism continuously with the involvement of religious leaders, including members of the Maha Sangha in the respective areas.
The President also inquired into measures being taken to establish a separate court for narcotics-related cases, expedite the receipt of Government Analyst reports, and accelerate the filing of cases.
He also stressed the urgent need for a rapid programme to expedite legal proceedings and rehabilitation processes concerning inmates imprisoned for narcotics-related offences, in order to ease prison overcrowding.
The Inspector General of Police also briefed the meeting on investigations and the current status relating to Buddhist monks who were recently arrested in connection with narcotics offences.
The President was further briefed on the progress of programmes jointly implemented by the Ministry of Education and the Women and Children’s Bureau to curb organised efforts to draw schoolchildren into narcotics use. He was also informed about community-based programmes planned in conjunction with the International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, which falls on 26 June.
Among those present at the meeting were the Anunayaka Theros of the Malwathu and Asgiri Chapters, senior clergy representing several Buddhist Nikayas, Christian priests, Hindu Kurukkals, Muslim religious leaders, senior government officials including Secretary to the President Dr Nandika Sanath Kumanayake, ministry secretaries, senior tri-forces commanders, Inspector General of Police Priyantha Weerasooriya, heads of relevant institutions, senior security officials, and representatives of the “Ratama Ekata” National Steering Council.
[PMD]
-
News4 days agoCJ urged to inquire into AKD’s remarks on May 25 court verdict
-
News2 days agoMIT expert warns of catastrophic consequences of USD 2.5 mn Treasury heist
-
News5 days agoUSD 3.7 bn H’tota refinery: China won’t launch project without bigger local market share
-
News6 days agoEaster Sunday Case: Ex-SIS Chief concealed intel, former Defence Secy tells court
-
News7 days agoTen corruption cases set for court in May, verdict ordered in one case – President
-
Business6 days agoDialog Surpasses 1,000 5G Sites, Strengthening Nationwide 5G Coverage
-
Editorial5 days agoDeliver or perish
-
Editorial2 days agoClean Sri Lanka and dirty politics
