Connect with us

News

Ex-Health Minister on Procurement of cholesterol lowering drug

Published

on

‘Private sector, too, is importing under Indian credit line’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

SLPP MP Prof. Channa Jayasumana yesterday (03) said that cholesterol lowering drug Atorvastatin had been ordered by private supplier Sunshine Healthcare Lanka Ltd., under the Indian credit line made available to procure urgent requirements, including medicine.MP Jayasumana said that of USD 200 mn allocated for the import of medicine, a part had been allocated to the private sector as they, too, lacked sufficient USD to place orders.

Prof. Jayasumana said so responding to yesterday’s lead story headlined ‘Procurement of cholesterol lowering drug: SL to lose heavily due to questionable deal with Indian company.’

Jayasumana said that he held health portfolio at the time the Indian credit line became operational. “Therefore, I had to set the record straight. That particular procurement had been made by the private sector not the health ministry as erroneously alleged by a trade unionist,” he said.MP Jayasumana was responding to a statement issued by Ravi Kumudesh, President of the College of Medical Laboratory Science, regarding the procurement of Atorvastatin by the Health Ministry.Alleging that the procurement had been finalized above the previously paid price therefore the government stood to lose USD 240,000 a month, the trade unionist urged the government to stop the embezzlement of funds.

Lawmaker Jayasumana made available a copy of the relevant invoice. Responding to queries, MP Jayasumana said that he asked Kumudesh about the issue at hand. The former minister maintained that it had been a slip-up on the part of the trade union. Having received a copy of the invoice pertaining to Atorvastatin purchase, the trade union had issued the statement on the presumption the order was placed by the Health Ministry.India on March 17, 2022 announced a USD 1 billion line of credit as part of its financial assistance to help Sri Lanka deal with its economic crisis.

Lawmaker Jayasumana said that following consultations among relevant parties, the finance and trade ministries decided to allocate USD 200 mn out of USD 1 bn for the procurement of medicine. Of the allocation for medicine, the State Pharmaceutical Corporation (SPC) had been given USD 126 mn and the remaining amount divided among other importers. They are State Pharmaceutical and Manufacturing Corporation (SPMC) USD 4 mn, local manufacturers USD 25 mn and private sector suppliers USD 45 mn.Prof. Jayasumana said that SPMC required funds for the procurement required raw material and other services for the manufacture of drugs. In fact, the SPC never bought Atorvastatin from any overseas supplier, Prof. Jayasumana said, adding that in addition to the SPMC, there were at least three other local producers, including Hemas Pharmaceuticals.

Prof. Jayasumana lost health portfolio in the wake of the appointment of a new cabinet following the resignation of Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa on May 09. Keheliya Rambukwella, who served as the health minister at the time President Gotabaya Rajapaksa reshuffled the cabinet, regained the same portfolio in the new cabinet of ministers.MP Jayasumana said that the procurement process had been delayed by some of the Indian suppliers requesting that the payments be made through their regular banks instead of the State Bank of India chosen for the transfers of money. Following intervention made by Prof. G.L. Peiris, in his capacity as the Foreign Affairs Minister, the health ministry was able to sort out the matter.

Referring to the recent disclosure of shortcomings in procurement procedures following examination of the SPC by the Committee on Public Enterprises (COPE), Prof. Jayasumana emphasized that the country lacked wherewithal to procure essential supplies.Medicine and medical equipment had been among the items that were in short supply and recent media reports revealed how the global community backed Sri Lanka’s efforts to maintain health services.In addition to the Indian credit line and funds re-allocated by the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank, several countries provided medicines and medical equipment as well as much needed funds, the former health minister said.



News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending