Latest News
Mushfiqur ton, Litton and Joy fifties set Pakistan 437
Mushfiqur Rahim’s 14th Test century headlined Bangladesh’s dominance on the third day of the Sylhet Test. His knock and fifties from Litton Das and Mahmudul Hasan Joy helped Bangladesh set a target of 437.
Pakistan batted two overs before the umpires called off play due to bad light. The openers Abdullah Fazal and Azan Awais didn’t open their accounts as both Taskin Ahmed and Shoriful Islam tested them in their respective overs.
The story of the day, however, was Mushfiqur’s 233-ball stay, adding 123 with Litton for the fifth wicket, and 77 runs for the seventh wicket with Taijul Islam. Mushfiqur struck twelve fours and one six during his knock, which was his third century in the second innings of a Test match, coming at a tricky period for Bangladesh when they had to bat well to keep themselves ahead of the game.
He followed his usual formula of getting set by playing the ball close to his body, before finding boundaries around the wicket. Cover drives, square-cuts and slog-sweeps were accompanied by hard hits down the ground and the pulls through midwicket.
Mushfiqur’s innings finally ended with roughly 35 minutes left on the third day; he was the last Bangladesh wicket to fall, in the 103rd over.
Pakistan’s best period on the third day was the first 45 minutes. Shahzad troubled captain Najmul Hossain Shanto, before trapping him lbw for 15. Litton, fresh off his first-innings century, was free-flowing even in seaming conditions. He gave Bangladesh a bit of breathing room with a few boundaries in the first session.
Litton was lucky too, surviving an easy run out when Babar Azam couldn’t hit the stumps from short midwicket. On 38 at the time, he was stranded halfway down the crease after a mix-up with Mushfiqur. Offspinner Sajid Khan also dropped Litton when he was on 56, off his own bowling. Litton continued to time the ball quite easily, until his upper-cut reached Saud Shakeel at fly-slip off Hasan Ali. He made 69 with five fours, off 92 balls.
Litton now has three occasions of a hundred and fifty in a Test, the most by a Bangladeshi wicketkeeper-batter. Later, Taijul contributed with 22 off 51 balls, with two fours, both stylishly struck, as he supported Mushfiqur during their seventh-wicket partnership. Mehidy Hasan Miraz fell to a beauty from Shahzad, but otherwise, Bangladesh kept things in their control on the third day.
Brief scores:
Pakistan 232 and 0 for 0 (Abdullah Fazal 0*, AzanAwais 0*) need 437 runs to win vs Bangladesh 278 and 390 (Mahmudul Hassan Joy 52, Mushfiqur Rahim 137, Litton Das 69; Khurram Shahzad 4-86, Sajid Khan 3-126)
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Trump says he called off new Iran attack at request of Gulf states
US President Donald Trump has said he is holding off a military attack on Iran planned for Tuesday at the request of Gulf states as “serious negotiations are now taking place”.
In a post on Truth Social, he said he had been asked to do so by the leaders of Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
He said he had been informed a deal would be made that is “very acceptable” to the US, adding there would be “NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!”
But he warned the US would be ready to “go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if there was no acceptable deal.
A senior Iranian military commander told the US not to make “strategic mistakes and miscalculations again”.
Trump’s latest announcement on Iran comes amid a drop in his approval rating and as polls show the war is increasingly unpopular at home.
Some 64% of voters believe it was the wrong decision to go to war with Iran, according to a New York Times/Siena poll published on Monday.
The survey also found that just 37% of voters approve of Trump’s job performance as president. The polling underscores the challenge Republicans face in the midterm elections, in a moment of growing public frustration with the war and Trump’s handling of the economy and immigration, among other issues.
Israeli and US forces began massive air strikes on Iran on 28 February, while Tehran retaliated by firing drones and missiles at Israel and US targets in countries across the Gulf.
A major factor at play here is the fear Gulf Arab states have over how Iran is likely to retaliate after any further attacks by the US.
Iran is known to retain a significant number of drones and missiles with which it could resume its full-scale attacks on neighbouring states, their airports, petrochemical facilities and even the crucial desalination plants that provide drinking water as summer temperatures in the Gulf build up.
Talking to reporters later, Trump called it “a very positive development, but we’ll see whether or not it amounts to anything”.
He said: “We’ve had periods of time where we had, we thought, pretty much getting close to making a deal, and it didn’t work out. But this is a little bit different.”
Trump said there seemed to be “a very good chance” of an agreement with Iran, adding: “If we can do that without bombing the hell out of them, I would be very happy.”
A ceasefire agreed in April meant to facilitate talks has largely been observed despite occasional exchanges of fire.
Iran has also continued to control the Strait of Hormuz, effectively closing the vital waterway through which around 20% of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas travels.
The move, which Iran has said is in retaliation for US and Israeli attacks, has sent oil prices soaring globally.
The US, for its part, has been enforcing a blockade of Iranian ports to exert pressure on Tehran to agree to its terms.
Late on Monday, Iran’s Tasnim news agency published what it said were comments by Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, warning that new fronts would be opened where the enemy had little experience and would be highly vulnerable.
Tasnim appeared to have reposted Khamenei’s quotes from 12 March. Some Iranian news outlets have taken to republishing his previous written messages.
Earlier on Monday, Iran said it had responded to the latest US proposal and that exchanges with Washington were continuing through Pakistani mediators.
Iranian media earlier reported the US had failed to make any concrete concessions to Tehran.
On Sunday, Trump had warned that “for Iran, Clock is Ticking, and they better get moving, FAST, or there won’t be anything left of them”.
Several days ago, the US president had said the truce was on “massive life support” after rejecting Tehran’s demands, labelling them “totally unacceptable”.
Esmail Baghaei, an Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson, insisted they were “responsible” and “generous”.
According to Iran’s semi-official Tasnim news agency, Iran’s demands included an immediate end to the war on all fronts – a reference to the continued Israeli attacks against Iran-supported Hezbollah in Lebanon – a halt to the US naval blockade of Iranian ports, and guarantees of no further attacks on Iran.
They also reportedly included a demand for compensation for war damage and an emphasis on Iranian sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s semi-official Fars news agency said on Sunday that Washington had set five conditions in response to Tehran’s proposal.
They reportedly included a demand that Iran keep only one nuclear site in operation and transfer its stockpile of highly enriched uranium to the US.
Trump suggested on Friday he would accept a 20-year suspension by Iran of its nuclear programme – a major sticking point between the two countries – in what appeared to be confirmation of a shift in position away from a demand for a total end to it.
The US and its European allies claim Iran is seeking to develop nuclear weapons by enriching uranium. Tehran has repeatedly said its nuclear programme is solely for peaceful purposes.
[BBC]
Latest News
Lanka Premier League returns after two years, opener set for July 17
The Lanka Premier League (LPL) 2026 will officially commence on July 17 with a rematch of the 2024 final, which was the last time the LPL was held, featuring reigning champions Jaffna and 2024 runners-up Galle.
The tournament opener is set to take place under the SSC lights in Colombo – a venue that hosted its inaugural T20I during this year’s T20 World Cup. The game is scheduled to begin at 7.30pm, though the venue will also host an official opening ceremony to launch the 2026 season ahead of the fixture.
The finalised tournament timeline will see the competition run from July 17 through August 8. Previously, SLC had announced the tournament will start on July 10, its matches played across four international venues.
The SSC will host five matches in total from July 17-19, before the action moves to Dambulla, then Kandy, and finally back to Colombo – this time at the R. Premadasa Stadium – for the knockout stages and final. There will also be a reserve day for the final, on August 9.
The 2026 edition will feature five teams representing Jaffna, Colombo, Kandy, Galle, and Dambulla. While the official franchise names and corporate ownership structures remain unannounced, SLC is expected to release the finalised team identities and brand details in the lead-up to the tournament.
The player registration portal, meanwhile, has been open since May 8 and will close on May 20. While direct signings can take place until May 22, the deadline for registration for all categories remains May 20.
While the previous two seasons hosted an auction, this year will see the return of a draft, set for June 1.
This change means that no player retention will be allowed from previous seasons, setting the stage for a significant shake up in squad composition. Each team will need to have a minimum of 18 members in their squad, with a further provision to add two local players, taking the squad limit to a maximum of 20.
In order to boost homegrown participation, SLC has announced that two local Emerging U-23 players must be present in each squad, with at least one named in a team’s starting XI. There must also be four overseas players in the playing XI at any given time.
The player registration guidelines had briefly sparked controversy on social media after an initial draft of the guidelines had listed a minimal count of 250,000 social media followers as a mandatory requirement for a registering Icon and Star category players – the two highest player categories. However, SLC has since removed that requirement.
LPL also kept a strong focus on ensuring player media engagement, with match fee penalties ranging from 5% to 50% for failure to meet the media and fan engagement requirements.
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Cummins, Kishan, Klaasen power Sunrisers Hyderabad into playoffs; Chennai Super Kings not out yet
Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH) have qualified for the IPL 2026 playoffs, taking Gujarat Titans with them. Chennai Super Kings (CSK), meanwhile, are on the brink of elimination. MS Dhoni made it to the ground for the first time this season, but his calf injury continued to keep him on the sidelines. His team fought all the way through, trying to defend a total of 180, but a fifty from Ishan Kishan and utter brilliance from Heintich Klassen won out in the end.
Rutraj Gaikwad was 9 off 11 at the end of the powerplay. He became the second batter this season to come through the first six overs with no boundaries after Lucknow Super Giants’ Arshin Kulkarni in the game against Royal Challengers Bengaluru on May 7.
It doesn’t appear as if Gaikwad is out of form. He is CSK’s second-highest run-getter. Just that he seems to be in denial about the way runs are scored in the powerplay in this IPL. With the field up, other openers are thinking boundaries all the time. He wants to get set and then go. It’s old school and that method, on Monday, gave him 15 in 21 balls – the lowest contribution by an opener at the time of his team’s 100.
On a pitch designed to neutralise bowlers of his pace, Pat Cummins picked up 3 for 28 in four overs. He nailed his match-up with Sanju Samson (one wicket for 23 runs in 20 balls in the IPL) and repeatedly went into the pitch with slower balls to add Kartik Sharma and Gaikwad into his back pocket. Led by the SRH captain’s example, Sakib Hussain took pace off for 18 of his 24 deliveries and finished with 2 for 34. These balls were sticking in the pitch and not coming onto the bat. It made setting up to play shots difficult.
Dewald Brevis walking out to bat is a spectacle all on its own, when he takes a knee just before entering the field. It’s clearly got something to do with his faith, but out here, it’s seen as a hero entry. As the main man marking himself out as the main man. Except coming into this game, he had a strike rate of 122.22. It was the sixth-lowest of all batters this season to have faced at least 50 balls.
SRH allowed only two boundaries in the five overs from nine to 13. CSK needed something from their star boy and finally he delivered. Hitting Nitish Reddy for a four and a six in the 14th over set him on his way to make 44 off 27. Confident in his cross-bat shots, he set himself up for the slow short ball and kept cutting and pulling them into the boundary.
At 17.5 overs, when Brevis was dismissed by Eshan Malinga, he, Samson and Kartik had scored 103 off 59, with 10 fours and seven sixes. Gaikwad, Urvil Patel and Shivam Dube had scored 54 off 52 with three fours and three sixes.
A third of CSK’s first seven overs were dot balls. Forty of SRH’s first 53 runs came in boundaries. The start of the chase was all about two teams pushing each other waiting for one of them to break.
Spencer Johnson and Mukesh Choudhary pushed the speed gun up to 140 kph and above, the polar opposite of what SRH’s quicks did, but they kept Travis Head and Abhishek Sharma in check and eventually got one of them out.
In between innings, CSK coach Stephen Fleming was deep in conversation with Akeal Hosein. A little bit of lip-reading suggested they were talking about how a left-arm spinner could succeed against left-hand batters. Hosein seemed to say he wanted to take the ball away from Abhishek and Head and Kishan first, and then bring one back to hit the stumps. It didn’t quite work out that way but he did get rid of Abhishek two balls into the match-up to lift CSK’s hopes.
A straight-bat push nearly resulted in his wicket but the ball dropped short of Hosein. Klaasen responded to that with a reverse sweep for four. Noor saw the change in stance and pulled out at the start of his next over. The next ball, Klaasen could have been dismissed for 18, had Johnson held on to a tough catch at deep square leg.
Once again, shrugging away the near-miss, Klaasen clattered Noor to the boundary. Klaasen dominated spin and finished with 47 off 26. He had a strike rate of 181 and was in control of 81% of the balls he faced. Those numbers should not have been possible on a pitch that was slow and a bit low. The impact he had on the game was apparent when Samson and Urvil had send-offs for Klaasen.
Batting in Klaasen’s slipstream was fun for Kishan. He brought up fifty off 37 balls. It wasn’t a fluent innings and that almost made it more special. He was so determined not to give it away and so alert when the bad ball came. Any time he had the chance to use his fast hands and whip stuff off his pads, he took them. He played the kind of innings that is important in the context of a season; a performance that says he may not be at his best but is still a threat.
Brief scores:
Sunrisers Hyderabad 181 for 5 in 19 overs (Abhishek Sharma 26, Ishan Kishan 70, Heinrich Klaasen 47, Nitish Kumar Reddy 11, Salil Arora 10*; Mukesh Choudhary 2-36,Anshul Kamboj 1-46, Noor Ahmad 1-40, Akeal Hosein 1-21) beat Chennai Super Kings 180 for 7 in 20 overs (Sanju Samson 27, Rutraj Gaikwad 15, Urvil Patel 13, Kartik Sharma 32, Dewald Brevis 44, Sjivam Dube 26. Prashant Veer 11; Praful Hinge 1-37, Pat Cummins 3-28, Eshan Malinga 1-26, Sakib Hussain 2-34) by five wickets
[Cricinfo]
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
