News
Striking health workers ignore court ruling, vows to meet govt. challenge
By Rathindra Kuruwita
Striking health sector trade unions yesterday (11) declared that they wouldn’t call off their trade union action in spite of a Court ruling issued the previous day. Top spokesperson for the trade union grouping Government Nursing Officers Association (GNOA) head Saman Rathnapriya emphasised that they hadn’t been informed of enjoying orders issued by Court.
District Judge of Colombo Aruna Aluthge has issued two enjoining orders preventing unions from continuing its trade union action.
“We have only heard of such an order from the media. We were not called before the Court; nor have we been informed of such enjoining orders. Trade union action is a right guaranteed by the Constitution. If we had been called before the courts, we would have explained why we were doing this,” the former UNP National List MP said.
Countrywide hospitals were severely affected by the strike, launched on 07 Feb.
Rathnapriya said that if the Court had actually issued enjoining orders and his union had been officially informed of them, it would convene a meeting of their executive committee and taken a decision.
The College of Medical Laboratory Science (CMLS) President, Ravi Kumudesh, told The Island that they would file a case against the Secretary to the Ministry of Health, Maj. Gen. Sanjeeva Munasinghe for failing to take tangible measures to prevent them resorting to trade union action.
“This strike could have been easily averted. We had given ample time for the government to address our seven demands. However, they did nothing. Secretary to the Ministry of Health could have discussed with us during the past three months. He ignored the demands of 65,000 health sector professionals and that is what has led to a union action. He is responsible for the inconvenience that the people are experiencing,” Kumudesh said.
The CMLS head said that, they were ready to meet any attempts of oppression head on. Instead of making false allegations to undermine legitimate trade union action, the Health Ministry must solve the issues faced by its employees, Kumudesh said.
“Now, they are claiming that a person has died at Bibile and they are trying to blame us. Apparently, an ultra sound scan had to be performed and those who perform ultra sound scans are not on strike. If the life of a patient was lost due to conducting surgery, under inadequate facilities; those who took that decision must be held responsible.”
Meanwhile, the Minister of Health Keheliya Rambukwelle said that he expected the health workers to return to duty, respecting the Court order.
News
Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide
Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.
The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.
In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.
In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.
The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.
Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.
by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva
News
Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals
Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.
The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.
Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.
According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.
Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.
Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.
The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.
by Norman Palihawadane
News
Matara MC issues warrant for arrest of Basil
The Matara Magistrate’s Court yesterday issued a warrant for the arrest of former Minister Basil Rajapaksa after he failed to appear before court in connection with an ongoing financial crimes case.
Matara Chief Magistrate Chaturanga Eranga Dissanayake issued the warrant as the former Minister was absent during proceedings relating to a case filed by the Police Financial Crimes Investigation Division (FCID).
The case concerns the purchase of a one-and-a-half-acre land at Brown’s Hill on Eliyakanda Road, in Matara, allegedly using illegally acquired funds.
Counsel appearing for Rajapaksa submitted medical reports to court, stating that he was currently overseas undergoing treatment for an illness and was, therefore, unable to appear before court.
The Magistrate, however, observed that Rajapaksa had repeatedly failed to appear during previous hearings and, after considering the submissions made by the defence, ordered that a warrant be issued for his arrest.
Further proceedings in the case are to continue before the same court.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
-
Opinion2 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
