Connect with us

News

SLC needs new constitution: Eran

Published

on

The problem with Sri Lanka Cricket was too much political interference and the government must introduce a new constitution for that outfit, said SJB MP, Eran Wickramaratne addressing Parliament on the adjournment debate on Sri Lanka Cricket on Thursday (24.)

“Things are so bad that coaches have been asked to step down by politicians. So, we have a governance issue. We need to bring in a new constitution for Sri Lanka Cricket to depoliticise and clean cricket,” Wickramaratne said.

SJB Parliamentarian Hesha Withana moved a resolution on the alleged irregularities in Sri Lanka Cricket involving the T-20 international competition held in Australia in 2022.

Wickramaratne added that over 140 clubs are making decisions at the SLC but most of the countries in the world have 6-14 clubs involved in decision-making.

“Sri Lanka Cricket is not a private organisation as claimed by certain officials of the cricket board. It is a national organisation.

We need to go by the ICC guiding principles of good conscious, equity, common sense and simplicity enabling every member to grow with greater transparency. Those who are in the cricket say “oh.. government mustn’t interfere, they are not accountable to anybody because this is a private organization.” It is not private in that sense” he said.

He said that Sri Lanka Cricket is owned by Sri Lankans and that is why MPs are asking questions about cricket.

“Since there is a lot of money involved with cricket there is political interference. Today I heard a former Sports Minister saying we must not have political interference in sports. If that is the case, should politicians hold positions in sports associations. If you really want to stop political interferencem let the professional handle it leaving behind the politicians involved in sports associations,” he said.

The SJB MP said in 2019, Harin Fernando, who was the then Sports Minister, asked all cricket coaches of national team to step down soon. Wickramaratne emphasized that politicians should not be involved in removing national coaches.

“One time coach Asanka Gurusinghe is reported saying there was an overwhelming political interference which hindered the development of cricket. He has worked under three different Sport Ministers and due to disappointment, he has left his stint with Sri Lanka Cricket as a coach. In the same manner, another outstanding cricketer Hathurusinghe, who was taken as a coach, has also made similar sentiments,” he said.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending