Connect with us

News

Pavitra says extraordinary measures adopted to keep country safe, offers to be sacrificed to the sea

Published

on

by Saman Indrajith

Health Minister Pavitra Wanniarachchi told Parliament on Tuesday (3) that Sri Lanka followed guidelines and imposed some precautions to ensure that the nation would be safe from the COVID-19 pandemic even if such precautionary measures had not been taken in other countries.

The Minister said that nowhere in the world a person without symptoms was directed to undergo self-quarantine after 12 days of monitoring period, but it was done in Sri Lanka to contain the pandemic.

SJB Kurunegala District MP Ashok Abeysinghe:

Is it true that even if a person shows COVID-19 symptoms, he or she would be asked to undergo self-quarantine at home?

 Minister Wanniarachchi:

If a person shows COVID-19 symptoms he will be taken to hospital by an ambulance. We follow health guidelines formulated by world renowned virologists including Dr Malik Peiris. Their advice is to monitor a person suspected to have contracted the virus for 12 days. We are told that if the person does not show any symptom within 12 days, that person is neither infected nor possesses a threat to spread the disease to others. We will refer such persons for 14 more days of self-quarantine. Such precautions are not taken anywhere in the world. But we ensure that our nation is safe from the virus.

MP Abeysinghe:

Then how come there are people in Anamaduwa who have been infected twice and thrice?

Minister Wanniarachchi:

This is a new virus.

 Ratnapura District SJB MP Hesha Withange:

Over a private TV channel, a doctor said that if one got COVID-19 symptoms, he or she should go to hospital. Basil Rajapaksa says those who have symptoms should not go out but stay wherever they are to undergo quarantine. What should people follow?

 Minister Wanniarachchi:

Both said that they should not spread the virus and an ambulance would come to the house of the infected and take that person to hospital.

 MP Abeysinghe: Now we hear of the 23rd death. The 21st, 22nd and 23rd deaths were reported from their homes. It was only after their deaths, it was found that they were infected.

 Minister Wanniarachchi: They were in a quarantine process under observation. We identified them as second and first level contacts of the infected and prescribed them quarantine.

MP Abeysinghe:

I just checked now. One person died in a hospital in a normal ward among other patients. If that person is infected he should have been in a separate special ward isn’t it?

Minister Wanniarachchi:

I do not know of the deaths that occurred while I am here in this House. I did not have time to ask from the Director General of Health. I will ask him and let you know. 

Earlier in the day, the minister assured Parliament that she was even ready to be sacrificed to the sea if that act would ensure the end of the COVID-19 pandemic in the country.

Starting the debate on two Regulations of the Medical Ordinance, she said that many people sling mud at her using images of her engaging in a religious activity to get blessings to curb the pandemic.

“The Opposition slings mud at me and puts up Facebook posts stating that the country would be safe if I would sacrifice myself to the sea. According to the legends deities watch over this country. I do my best these days to prevent this pandemic as the responsible minister.  Apart from that, I have received many invitations to participate in religious activities to bless the country in this difficult situation. I am even ready to sacrifice myself to the sea if that will help protect the country from COVID-19.”



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands

Published

on

GL

An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.

Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.

Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.

Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.

Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.

Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)

Continue Reading

News

Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism

Published

on

In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.

The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.

Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.

Continue Reading

News

Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected

Published

on

Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.

DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..

One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.

The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.

The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.

Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.

Continue Reading

Trending