Connect with us

Foreign News

Passengers recall horror onboard flight SQ 321

Published

on

The cabin interior, pictured after the emergency landing in Bangkok (BBC)

More than 140 travellers and crew members who were onboard a flight hit by severe turbulence landed in Singapore on a relief flight earlier this morning.

Passengers onboard SQ321 which was heading from London to Singapore, recounted scenes of “absolute terror”, with one passenger saying he saw a woman with an “awful gash on her head”, and heard another “screaming in agony”.

A 73-year-old British man, Geoff Kitchen, died from a suspected heart attack onboard, while several others remain seriously injured.

Mr Kitchen is believed to have suffered a heart attack when the plane was hit by the turbulence. Reports say he was on his way to Singapore to start a six-week holiday along with his wife who was also on board.

The Singapore-bound Boeing 777-300ER diverted to Bangkok following the mid-air incident, making an emergency landing at 15:45 local time (08:45 GMT) with some 211 passengers and 18 crew aboard.

Smitivej Hospital, in Bangkok, said 104 people were treated and 58 remain in hospital, 20 of whom are in the intensive care unit.  There are 15 Britons still being treated in hospital, with six in intensive care, the hospital said.

Andrew Davies, a British passenger onboard the Boeing 777-300ER, told the BBC’s Radio that the plane “suddenly dropped with very little warning”.  “The thing I remember the most is seeing objects and things flying through the air. I was covered in coffee. It was incredibly severe turbulence,” he said.

Another passenger said those not wearing seatbelts were “launched immediately into the ceiling”.  “Very suddenly there was a very dramatic drop, so everyone seated and not wearing a seatbelt was launched immediately into the ceiling,” 28-year-old student Dzafran Azmir told Reuters. “I saw people from across the aisle just going completely horizontal, hitting the ceiling and landing back down in really awkward positions. People getting massive gashes in the head concussions.”  Azmir added that people’s heads had slammed into the overhead panels above the seats and “pushed through” some of the panels.

Reuters Interior of plane

 

Another Briton, Jerry, 68, was travelling to Australia for his son’s wedding. He said there was no warning before the “plane plunged”.  “I hit my head on the ceiling, my wife did – some poor people who were walking around ended up doing somersaults,” he recalled.  “My son was thrown down on the floor two rows behind me. I heard that there was a guy hitting the roof in the toilet and he was injured quite badly, too,” he said, speaking from a Thai hospital. He added that he and his family were “lucky enough” that none of them had died.

The family had been travelling to Australia for his son’s wedding on Friday, but now would not be able to make it, he said.

One Singaporean man, whose son was onboard the plane, said he was “thrown all over the place”.  Chiew says his 22-year-old son was in London on holiday visiting his girlfriend, who was studying there on an exchange programme. The pair were flying back to Singapore when turbulence hit.  He told the BBC: “My son was on his way to the restroom, while his girlfriend was seated. Both are okay.  He said his son had messaged him yesterday afternoon to say he had landed in Bangkok after the flight was diverted.

An airline official said that about 10 hours into its flight, the plane had encountered “sudden extreme turbulence” over Myanmar’s Irrawaddy Basin at 37,000 feet.

Reuters Interior of plane with food trays, water bottles and kettles strewn across the floor
Food and drink items, including kettles, were pictured on the plane’s floor after it met turbulence (BBC)

Singapore Airlines also provided details on the nationalities of those on the flight, which included 56 people from Australia and 47 from the UK.

Allison Barker said she received a message from her son, Josh, who was on the plane en route to Bali: “I don’t want to scare you, but I’m on a crazy flight. The plane is making an emergency landing… I love you all.”

After that message, she waited for a “petrifying” two hours before hearing from him again.  “One minute, he was just sitting down wearing a seatbelt, the next minute, he must have blacked out because he found himself on the floor with other people,” she told the BBC.  Josh, she said, sustained minor injuries – but she is concerned that coming close to death could have a lasting impact on him.

The head of Singapore Airlines, Goh Choon Phong, apologised on Wednesday morning, saying the carrier was “very sorry for the traumatic experience”.

In a video statement, Mr Goh said the airline was “fully cooperating with relevant authorities on the investigations”.  He also expressed his condolences to the family of the victim, adding that they would “render all possible assistance” to affected passengers and crew members.

Singapore Prime Minister Lawrence Wong also sent his “deepest condolences” to the family and loved ones of the deceased, adding that Singapore was “working closely with Thai authorities”.

He also said Singapore’s Transport Safety Investigation Bureau would conduct a thorough investigation into the incident.

Accidents involving Singapore Airlines are rare, with the carrier consistently ranking among the world’s safest.

The last fatal accident occurred in 2000, when a Boeing 747 crashed while attempting to take off from the wrong runway at a Taiwan airport.

Some 83 people of the 179 people onboard were killed.

Map showing flight's intended route and the diversion it took

Turbulence is most commonly caused by aircraft flying through cloud, but there is also “clear air” turbulence which is not visible on a jet’s weather radar.

“Injuries from severe turbulence are relatively rare in the context of millions of flights operated,” aviation expert John Strickland told the BBC.

Aviation journalist Sally Gethin said wearing a seatbelt could be the “difference between life and death”, explaining that anything not bolted down is at risk during severe turbulence.

Research has shown that climate change will make severe turbulence more likely in the future.

(BBC)



Foreign News

Myanmar military announces temporary truce as quake death toll passes 3,000

Published

on

By

Locals ride motorbikes while rescuers clean debris from damaged buildings in the aftermath of Friday's earthquake in Naypyidaw, Myanmar, April 2, 2025 [Aljazeera]

Myanmar’s governing military has declared a unilateral, temporary ceasefire in the country’s civil war to facilitate rescue efforts after last week’s powerful earthquake, as state television reported the death toll from the disaster had surpassed 3,000.

MRTV said that the truce would last from Wednesday until April 22 and was aimed at making quake relief efforts easier.

The announcement followed unilateral temporary ceasefires announced by armed resistance groups opposed to military rule. Those groups must refrain from attacking the state, or regrouping, or else the military will take “necessary” measures, the army said in a statement.

The death toll from the earthquake in Myanmar rose to 3,003, and more than 4,500 were injured, MRTV reported late on Wednesday.

In neighbouring Thailand, the death toll from the quake rose to 22, with hundreds of buildings damaged and 72 people missing.

In an incident underlining the challenge of delivering relief at a time of civil war in Myanmar, the military said its troops fired warning shots after a Chinese Red Cross convoy failed to pull over as it travelled in a conflict zone.

The Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs told the media that its rescue team and supplies were safe after the incident on Tuesday.

Guo Jiakun, a ministry spokesperson, said at a news conference that Beijing hoped “all factions and parties in Myanmar will prioritise earthquake relief efforts, ensuring the safety of rescue personnel and supplies from China and other countries”.

“It’s necessary to keep transportation routes for relief efforts open and unobstructed,” Guo said.

Myanmar and Chinese rescuers carry the body of a victim that was trapped under the rubble of the collapsed building
Myanmar and Chinese rescuers carry the body of a victim who was trapped under the rubble of the collapsed Sky Villa condominium in Mandalay [File Aljazeera]

Military government spokesperson Zaw Min Tun said the Chinese Red Cross had not informed authorities it was in a conflict zone on Tuesday night, and a security team fired shots in the air after the convoy, which included local vehicles, failed to stop.

The military has struggled to run Myanmar following its coup against the elected civilian government of Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi in 2021, reducing the economy and basic services, including healthcare, to tatters after civil war broke out.

The United Nations said more than 28 million people in the six regions were affected by the earthquake and that it put in place $12m in emergency funding for food, shelter, water, sanitation, mental health support and other services.

As hopes of finding more survivors were fading on Wednesday, rescuers pulled two men alive from the ruins of a hotel in Myanmar’s capital, Naypyidaw, and a third from a guesthouse in another city – five days after the magnitude 7.7 quake. But most teams were finding only bodies.

The rural parts of the hard-hit Sagaing region, mostly under the control of armed resistance groups fighting the military government, are among the most challenging for aid agencies to reach.

Earlier, Human Rights Watch urged the military government to allow unfettered access for humanitarian aid and lift curbs impeding aid agencies, saying donors should channel aid through independent groups rather than only the authorities.

“Myanmar’s junta cannot be trusted to respond to a disaster of this scale,” Bryony Lau, deputy Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said in a report. “Concerned governments and international agencies need to press the junta to allow full and immediate access to survivors, wherever they are.”

[Aljazeera]

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Death sentence for three Americans over DR Congo coup attempt overturned

Published

on

By

(L-R) Benjamin Zalman-Polun, Marcel Malanga and Tyler Thompson were sentenced to death over last year's coup attempt in DR Congo [BBC]

Three Americans convicted for their role in a failed coup in Democratic Republic of Congo last year have had their death sentences commuted to life imprisonment, the presidency has said.

They were among 37 people sentenced to death last September by a military court.

The three were accused of leading an attack on both the presidential palace and the home of an ally of President Félix Tshisekedi last May.

The overturning of the sentences comes ahead of a visit to DR Congo by the newly appointed US senior advisor for Africa, Massad Boulos.

Boulos, father-in-law to President Donald Trump’s daughter, Tiffany, is expected to arrive in Kinshasa on Thursday on a trip that will also take him to Rwanda, Kenya and Uganda.

The US has not declared the three Americans to be wrongfully jailed in DR Congo but the State Department said previously there have been talks between the countries over the matter.

The three were convicted of criminal conspiracy, terrorism and other charges, which they denied.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Foreign News

Netanyahu nominates new Israeli spy chief despite court order

Published

on

By

[file pic] Protesters rally against the resumption of fighting in Gaza and the dismissal of Shin Bet chief Ronen Bar, Tel Aviv, Israel, March 22 [Aljazeera]

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has nominated a former Navy commander to head the country’s domestic security services, despite the courts having blocked his bid to fire the previous head of Shin Bet.

Netanyahu’s office announced on Monday that he had nominated Vice Admiral Eli Sharvit to lead the agency, which surveils attacks from abroad and at home, including by armed groups based in Palestine and Lebanon. However, a halt to the sacking of Ronen Bar as head of Shin Bet, ordered by the Supreme Court, remains in place.

[Aljazeera]

Continue Reading

Trending