Connect with us

News

Opposition Leader condemns govt. move to procure 1,775 double cabs as a shady deal

Published

on

… demands that benefits be directed to halt brain drain

The Opposition yesterday announced it would reject the government’s offer of double cab pickup trucks, alleging that the procurement of 1,775 of them was part of a “shady deal”.

Participating in the 2026 Budget debate, Opposition and SJB Leader Sajith Premadasa said Members of Parliament did not require such perks and demanded that benefits be directed toward professionals and skilled state-sector employees to help curb the country’s growing brain drain.

“We don’t need vehicle permits or double cabs. These privileges should go to teachers, doctors, engineers and other professionals who serve the nation,” Premadasa told the House.

He warned that low salaries, high taxes, and a lack of incentives were driving educated workers to leave the country, weakening the public sector.

Premadasa criticised the government for failing to deliver on key development and welfare pledges made in Budget 2025, accusing it of producing “a new reel of broken promises” instead of providing relief to the people.

Citing official progress reports

Premadasa said:

Only 20% of the Rs. 500 million had been allocated to modernise school education had been used.

Only 15% of the Rs. 200 million had been earmarked for university scholarships had been spent.

The programme to establish day-care centres for children with autism had achieved just 30% progress.

Agricultural and youth entrepreneurship projects had reached only 40–45% completion.

Premadasa said that President Anura Kumara Dissanayake had promised to build “a prosperous nation with a beautiful life”, the latter’s administration had, instead, created “a nation of suffering and helpless lives.”

He said that the government was acting under the direction of the IMF, saying that despite surpassing revenue and tax targets, ordinary citizens continued to struggle amidst soaring living costs and stagnant wages.

“The government has gone beyond even the IMF’s targets in tax collection,” Premadasa said. “Yet, there are no tangible solutions for unemployment, poverty or the cost of living.”

Joining the debate, SLPP MP Namal Rajapaksa announced that he and his colleagues had declined the official double cabs allocated to them, opting instead to hand over all three vehicles to the Ministry of Health to support medical services.

“We don’t need these vehicles. Our decision is to strengthen the country’s health sector,” Rajapaksa said.

Rajapaksa remarked that while the President’s four-and-a-half-hour Budget speech was “detailed and exhaustive,” he hoped to hear “the same speech next year as well.”

He said that despite political divisions, Opposition parties remained united in exposing what he described as the government’s attempts to mislead the public.

Rajapaksa said that discussions among Opposition parties were ongoing regarding a joint rally scheduled for 21 November, expressing confidence that all Opposition parties would participate.



Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

News

Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide

Published

on

Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.

The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.

In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.

In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.

The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.

Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.

by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva

Continue Reading

News

Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals

Published

on

Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.

The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.

Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.

According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.

Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.

Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.

The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.

by Norman Palihawadane

Continue Reading

Trending