News
India’s EC mulls new-age EVMs to help 300mn plus internal migrants and NRIs to vote
BY S VENKAT NARAYAN,
Our Special Correspondent
NEW DELHI, December 26: The Election Commission of India (ECI) is examining an ambitious plan to allow internal migrants and Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) to vote for a candidate in their home constituencies from anywhere in the country and abroad. This will enable 290 million Indians working in the country away from his birthplace, and 16 million NRIs working abroad.
In the world’s largest democracy, 911 million out of 1,138 million people are aged above 18, and are eligible to vote. In last year’s Lok Sabha election, 610 million (67%) voted—-the highest in Indian parliamentary history.
The proposal under discussion involves ushering in a new-age electronic voting machine (EVM) that will have a dynamic candidate’s list to enable voting for a contestant in one’s home constituency.
Current EVMs have a constituency-specific ballot unit which lists candidates only for a specific constituency. EVMs with a ‘dynamic ballot paper’ will display a list of contestants of a voter’s home constituency.
For instance, a voter registered in Malda in West Bengal but working in Delhi will be able to vote for a candidate of his or her choice in Malda from Delhi itself. At present, migrant voters are unable to vote unless they go to their constituency.
About 10,000 new-age EVMs are estimated to serve the purpose with every district given 5-6 such machines at various ‘remote voting’ centres with a higher number in bigger cities having higher migrant population.
The full Election Commission is set to soon deliberate a conceptual framework of the technology to enable vote-from-anywhere, with the 2024 Lok Sabha elections in mind, The Economic Times quoted officials as saying. Pilot runs are likely to be done during bypolls.
In April, the poll panel set up a seven-member technical advisory group chaired by Rajat Moona, the former director general of the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing and with experts from IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology) in Madras, Delhi and Bombay as members to work on a plan to develop a ‘remote voting framework’.
Moona said a ‘prototype demonstration’ will be done in a month to ECI. “We are looking at an EVM which instead of a paper ballot for a specific constituency will have a dynamic candidates’ list display to allow one to vote for a candidate in one’s home constituency.
“Each machine will be able to help voters of multiple constituencies cast the ballot instead of being specific to one constituency. New machines will have to be brought in for the purpose, and we hope to share the conceptual plan and prototype soon with the EC, which will take a final decision on it,” Moona said.
The study group has identified two key challenges: Minimal internet use with high safety features. Current EVMs do not use any internet and, therefore, are considered ‘hackproof’. The second challenge will be formulating a protocol for vote counting, VVPAT (Voter-Verified Paper Audit Trail) checks and verification for ballots cast using the dynamic EVMs.
“The latter is the toughest part, and we are looking at a few choices for the purpose of counting and VVPAT verification. In April, the poll panel set up a seven-member technical advisory group to work on a plan to develop a ‘remote voting framework’.
“ECI’s inputs and views on the right choice will be taken. We hope to have clarity by January so that we can plan pilot projects and ultimately scale up the use of the machine in the next Lok Sabha election in 2024,” Moona added.
The ECI is planning a technology shift along with the proposed postal ballot-based voting for NRIs. Incidentally, when consultations were held with political parties on allowing postal ballot for NRIs, many in the opposition, including the Congress Party, argued that steps need to be first taken to ensure domestic migrants are able to vote, regardless of geographic location. The ECI itself has been alive to the issue of domestic voters missing out for a while now.
Latest News
Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]
The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.
It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard
News
Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide
Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.
The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.
In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.
Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.
In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.
The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.
Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.
by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva
News
Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals
Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.
The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.
Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.
According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.
Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.
Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.
Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.
The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.
by Norman Palihawadane
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
-
Opinion2 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
