Connect with us

News

India expresses concern to Iranian ambassador over firing on ship in Strait of Hormuz

Published

on

New Delhi has expressed its concern to the Iranian envoy over the firing on two India-bound vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri met Tehran’s envoy to New Delhi, Mohammad Fathali, on Saturday, and conveyed India’s “deep concern” after the incident in which ships carrying energy cargoes were reportedly prevented from transiting the Strait by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC).

This is the first time that India-bound energy carriers have been prevented from transiting the Strait during the ceasefire announced on April 8.

On April 17, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi declared that passage for all commercial vessels is completely open.

“The Foreign Secretary conveyed India’s deep concern at the shooting incident earlier today involving two Indian-flagged ships in the Strait of Hormuz,” the Indian Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.

Misri said that Iran had earlier facilitated the safe passage of several ships and added that he “urged the ambassador to convey India’s views to the authorities in Iran and resume at the earliest the process of facilitating India-bound ships across the Strait.”

The Foreign Ministry said the Iranian ambassador was “called in” and not “summoned” as some reports indicated.

Misri was India’s representative in an international virtual meeting organized by the United Kingdom and France on April 17, in which 44 countries discussed the need for maintaining open navigation in the Strait of Hormuz.

US President Donald Trump had also said that “Iran has agreed to never close the Strait of Hormuz again.

Reports said soon after Araghchi’s announcement the IRGC reportedly said the strait had reverted to “strict control” due to the US Navy’s blockade of Iranian ships.

The Strait of Hormuz has emerged as a critical energy chokepoint since tensions escalated after the US-Israel attacks on Iran began on February 28. India imports 85% of its oil and nearly half of its natural gas. Around half of its crude oil and LNG shipments are normally routed through the Strait of Hormuz.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Govt. unveils plan to reduce electricity tariffs through power sector reforms

Published

on

Power and Energy Minister Anura Karunathilaka awarding financial compensation to CEB employees who opted for voluntary retirement under the government’s power sector restructuring programme at the EDL D4 Auditorium in Dehiwala

Compensation awarded to 1,898 voluntarily retired CEB employees

The government has drawn up a comprehensive plan to reduce electricity tariffs through the ongoing restructuring of the power sector, with a strong focus on expanding renewable energy generation and improving the efficiency of hydropower production, Power and Energy Minister Anura Karunathilaka said last Thursday.

The Minister said the long-term objective of the restructuring programme was to lower generation costs and ultimately pass the benefits on to consumers through reduced electricity bills.

He made these remarks while addressing a ceremony held to award financial compensation to employees of the Ceylon Electricity Board who opted for voluntary retirement under the government’s power sector restructuring programme. The event was held at the EDL D4 Auditorium in Dehiwala.

“One of the key objectives of restructuring the Electricity Board is to improve efficiency. Through this process, we are establishing institutions capable of delivering a higher standard of service to consumers while fulfilling the promises made to the people of this country,” the Minister said.

He stressed that the government was committed not only to modernising the sector but also to honouring all assurances given to employees during the restructuring process.

“We have been able to fulfil the promises made to the employees as well. I sincerely wish that all those receiving retirement compensation today will realise their hopes and aspirations,” he added.

The Minister further noted that increasing the contribution from renewable energy sources while ensuring more efficient utilisation of hydropower resources would significantly reduce electricity generation costs in the future, enabling authorities to provide much-needed relief to electricity consumers burdened by high utility costs.

According to the Ministry, financial compensation was awarded to 1,898 CEB employees who chose voluntary retirement under the restructuring initiative, marking one of the most significant workforce transitions undertaken in Sri Lanka’s power sector in recent years.

Deputy Minister of Power and Energy Arkam Ilyas, heads of successor power sector institutions and several senior officials also attended the event.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

Wheelchairs for temples, hospital in welfare drive

Published

on

Ven Urulawatte Dhammarakkhitha Thera at the donation of wheelchairs

The Most Venerable Shasthrapathi Urulawatte Dhammarakkhitha Thera, Senior Member of the Karaka Sangha Sabha of the Asgiriya Chapter of the Siam Nikaya and Chief Incumbent of the Mahiyangana Raja Maha Viharaya, has extended a gesture of public welfare by donating wheelchairs to temples and the Mahiyangana Base Hospital.

The initiative, carried out under the auspices of the Mahiyangana and Rideemaliyadda Shasanarakshaka Bala Mandala, is aimed at improving mobility facilities for patients and elderly monks in the region.

As part of the programme, eight wheelchairs were handed over to the Mahiyangana Base Hospital. The donation was received by Hospital Director Dr. Senarath Bandara from the Thera at a ceremony held at the temple premises.

In addition, wheelchairs were distributed among several temples in the area to support resident monks in their daily activities and religious duties.

The event was attended by members of the Maha Sangha, led by Chief Sangha Nayaka of Uva Bintenna Depalatha, Royal Pandit Ven. Napatavala Dhammananda Thera. Senior clergy and hospital officials present underscored the significance of the initiative, which sought to strengthen both religious welfare support and local healthcare services.

Text and Pic by SK Samaranayake

Continue Reading

News

Kandy honours fallen war heroes at Mailapitiya ceremony

Published

on

The 17th Kandy District National War Heroes Commemoration Ceremony was held on May 15 at the National War Heroes Monument premises in Mailapitiya, Gurudeniya.

The event was attended by Central Province Governor Professor Sarath Abeykoon, Kandy District Members of Parliament, Kandy Mayor Chandrasiri Wijenayake, senior tri-forces and police officials, and the next of kin of fallen war heroes.

The ceremony was jointly organised by the Central Province Governor’s Office, the Provincial Council, the Kandy District Secretariat and the Kandy District Tri-Forces War Heroes Forum to pay tribute to military and police personnel who sacrificed their lives for the country.

Floral tributes were laid before the memorial plaques by dignitaries and family members in remembrance of the fallen war heroes.

A solemn guard of honour was also accorded during the commemoration ceremony.

Governor Professor Sarath Abeykoon laid the first floral wreath at the Mailapitiya National War Heroes Monument, followed by senior commanders representing the Sri Lanka Army, Navy, Air Force and Police, who paid tribute to those who sacrificed their lives to protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the nation.

Text and Pic by SK Samaranayake

Continue Reading

Trending