Connect with us

Sports

Impact Player concept likely to apply only for Indian players in IPL

Published

on

The Impact Player concept, being introduced in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) 17, could apply only to the Indian players. Although the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) is yet to share the regulations on how it will work, BCCI managers, who are in conversations with the franchises, have indicated that only Indian players could come in as the 12th player or as an active substitute during a match.

Cricbuzz has learnt that the franchises have been explained a team cannot introduce an overseas player in place of another overseas player, nor will a team be allowed to have a foreign player in player in place of an Indian. The rule is to make sure that the primary and binding IPL rule of only four foreign players taking part in a game is not diluted. Whether a foreign player will be allowed to come in if a team goes into a match with only three overseas players in the starting XI is not yet clear.

In a recent note to the teams, the BCCI said, “…Also note that from IPL 2023 Season a tactical/strategic concept will be introduced to add a new dimension to IPL, wherein one substitute player per team will be able to take a more active part in an IPL match. The regulations pertaining to the same will be issued shortly.”

The idea has sent the franchises into a thinking mode. While most teams welcome the experiment, the general belief is that the rule could considerably dilute the role of an all-rounder and increase the influence of specialists in a game. The inference is based on the fact that a team can use a specialist bowler while bowling and replace him with a specialist batsman while chasing. The rule could also have a major bearing on the auction in Kochi on December 23.

The Impact Player concept was first introduced in this year’s Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy (SMAT) and the BCCI is satisfied that the experiment was a big hit. The BCCI has drawn inspiration for this from football and a few other games where substitutes play a very active role.

“The concept is to allow one substitute player per team to take a more active part in a match. This would add a new tactical /strategic dimension to the game. A number of team sports allow teams to make tactical substitutes i.e. football, rugby, basketball, baseball. The substitute is allowed to perform or participate like any other regular player,” the BCCI had said while introducing the rule in the SMAT earlier this year.

(Cricbuzz)



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

A gentleman at the crease

Published

on

Eran Wickramaratne has turned a few things he has touched in to gold. NDB is a case in point. Can he do the same with SLC?

This week, the newly appointed Cricket Interim Committee held its first media briefing and all those who attended returned to office marvelling at the finesse and grace with which committee head Eran Wickramaratne held his own. It wasn’t a briefing conducted on a placid SSC featherbed. There were bouncers, yorkers and even the occasional beamer, but Eran negotiated them all like a seasoned campaigner who had long ago mastered the art of surviving hostile spells – first in the banking sector and then at the UNP.

Royalists like Ranil Wickremesinghe and Ravi Karunanayake could learn a thing or two from their old schoolmate. This man is class personified.

Eran spoke passionately about cricket’s mandate to entertain the public. He reiterated that the game belonged to nobody but the adoring fans and that everyone involved – players, coaches, umpires and administrators – were merely custodians duty-bound to safeguard it. He was also quick to remind everyone that he was only a temporary guardian of the game, a refreshing contrast to an era not too long ago when certain individuals behaved as if cricket would collapse without them occupying the throne.

Former opening batter Sidath Wettimuny handled the opening overs before Eran took strike. On any given day, following Sidath is a tough act. He is articulate, thoughtful and commands enormous respect. But Eran slipped into the innings seamlessly, outlining the timeframe for a new constitution and explaining why some democratic elections – including those of Sri Lanka Cricket – had become deeply flawed exercises. Any institution that is headed by an individual who overstays his welcome is doomed to fail. SLC is one. UNP is the other.

Many wondered why Eran had been entrusted with heading the Interim Committee. He revealed that he had worked closely with President Anura Kumara Dissanayake during their years in opposition and that his dream of building a corruption-free society may well have struck a chord with the President.

Credit must go to AKD as well.

Sri Lanka Cricket had become the sort of institution most politicians preferred not to touch with a barge pole. Successive Executive Presidents turned a blind eye to allegations of abuse of power, corruption and the alarming lack of foresight that steadily drove the game into the rough. Some may even have benefited from cricket’s vast financial muscle during election campaigns.

But AKD played this innings shrewdly, like a captain who knew exactly when to attack and when to defend. There has been no ICC suspension, individuals many believed untouchable have been forced to swallow humble pie and for the first time in years, there is genuine hope that the game can be steered back on course.

Looking at what AKD has achieved, the likes of J.R. Jayewardene and Gamini Dissanayake – both former presidents of Sri Lanka Cricket – might well be having a quiet chuckle from above. The political party they once led eventually turned a blind eye to what unfolded at Maitland Place under Ranil Wickremesinghe’s stewardship. Much like the UNP itself, Sri Lankan cricket too lost direction and nosedived badly. Then came complete outsiders in the form of the NPP and they have at least taken the first meaningful steps towards dragging the sport out of the mire.

Hats off to the comrades.

While Eran Wickramaratne and Prakash Schaffter have their sights fixed firmly on constitutional reforms and governance, cricketing matters are being handled by the trio of Sidath Wettimuny, Roshan Mahanama and Kumar Sangakkara. Wettimuny heads the Cricket Committee while Sangakkara, currently in India coaching IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals, has joined discussions remotely.

Sidath explained how the number of schools playing cricket had multiplied because of the game’s immense popularity, but at the same time the country lacked qualified coaches to cater to the growing demand. One of the committee’s immediate priorities, therefore, is improving the standard of coaching education and broadening the horizons of those entrusted with nurturing young cricketers.

Sidath also elaborated on other pressing areas that require urgent attention – improving umpiring standards, producing better pitches and restoring professionalism to the system. They are not glamorous fixes that win applause overnight, but as every good cricket man knows, strong foundations matter more than flashy cover drives.

by Rex Clementine ✍️

Continue Reading

Sports

Kohli refuses Head handshake after heated Hyderabad-Bengaluru clash in IPL

Published

on

By

Royal Challengers Bengaluru's Virat Kohli leaves the ground after losing his wicket during the Indian Premier League match [Aljazeera]

Tempers flared ‌between Virat Kohli and Travis Head in ⁠the Indian ⁠Premier League, as the former India captain refused to shake hands with the Australian ⁠batter after Head’s Sunrisers Hyderabad handed Kohli’s Royal Challengers Bengaluru a crushing 55-run defeat.

The two exchanged ⁠heated words when Kohli opened for Bengaluru, looking to chase down a daunting target of 256. During the exchange, a visibly angry Kohli was seen gesturing towards ‌Head to come and bowl.

Kohli also mockingly made the “impact player” substitution gesture, a reference to Head, who is primarily a batter, often being replaced by Hyderabad for a specialist bowler after the Australian finishes batting.

Head did not have much ⁠time to take Kohli up on ⁠his invite, as the Bengaluru opener fell soon after, scoring 15 off 11 balls. The Australian, however, bowled an over later ⁠in the game and dismissed Bengaluru captain Rajat Patidar.

As the teams lined ⁠up to shake hands after ⁠the match, Head held out his hand but Kohli looked straight ahead and walked past him.

Friday’s win left third-placed Hyderabad on ‌equal points with Bengaluru, but Kohli’s side remained top of the table with a superior net run ‌rate. ‌Both teams have qualified for the IPL playoffs starting Wednesday.

[Aljazeera]

Continue Reading

Sports

Angkrish Raghuvanshi ruled out of IPL 2026 with concussion, finger fracture

Published

on

By

The 21-year old Raghuvanshi is KKR's highest run-getter so far in IPL 2026, tallying 422 runs at an average of 42.2 and a strike-rate of 146.52 with five half-centuries [Cricbuzz]
Kolkata Knight Riders’ wicket-keeper batter Angkrish Raghuvanshi has been ruled out of the remainder of IPL 2026 having sustained a concussion and a left finger fracture during the team’s win over Mumbai Indians at home on Wednesday (May 20). The franchise confirmed the development in a statement released on Friday, two days out of KKR’s must-win encounter against Delhi Capitals at the Eden Gardens.

Raghuvanshi, who kept wickets in the game against MI, collided with teammate Varun Chakaravarthy as the duo attempted a catch to dismiss Tilak Varma in the 11th over of the MI innings. The duo fell while Chakaravarthy failed to hold onto the catch and immediately after Tilak was dismissed in the 14th over, Raghuvanshi went off the field with Tejasvi Dahiya coming on as the substitute wicket-keeper.

Raghuvanshi was eventually subbed out of the game for concussion, with Dahiya replacing him in the XI as KKR completed a comfortable 4-wicket win.

The 21-year old Raghuvanshi is KKR’s highest run-getter so far in IPL 2026, tallying 422 runs at an average of 42.2 and a strike-rate of 146.52 with five half-centuries to his credit. His injury comes at an untimely juncture ahead of their final fixture against DC, which they must win while hoping for other results prior to that game to go in their favour in order to secure the final playoff berth.

[Cricbuzz]

Continue Reading

Trending