Connect with us

Latest News

Hamas deputy leader Saleh al-Arouri killed in Beirut blast

Published

on

Saleh al-Arouri (left) masterminded attacks in the occupied West Bank (pic BBC)

Israel has insisted the assassination of a Hamas leader in Beirut was not an attack on Lebanon, as its enemies warned of “punishment” for his death.

An Israeli spokesman said Saleh al-Arouri had died in a “surgical strike against the Hamas leadership”.

Hamas condemned the death, while its ally Hezbollah said it was an assault on Lebanese sovereignty. Lebanon’s prime minister, meanwhile, accused Israel of trying “to drag Lebanon into a confrontation”.

Lebanese media report that Arouri, a deputy political leader of Hamas, was killed in a drone strike in southern Beirut along with six others – two Hamas military commanders and four other members.

He was a key figure in the Qassam Brigades, Hamas’s armed wing, and a close ally of Ismail Haniyeh, the Hamas leader. He had been in Lebanon acting as a connection between his group and Hezbollah.

Israeli spokesman Mark Regev stopped short of confirming Israel had carried out the assassination, a standard position for Israeli officials, but he told MSNBC: “Whoever did it, it must be clear that this was not an attack on the Lebanese state. “It was not an attack even on Hezbollah, the terrorist organisation.”Whoever did this did a surgical strike against the Hamas leadership. Whoever did this has a gripe with Hamas. That is very clear.”

Arouri, 57, is the most senior Hamas figure to be killed since Israel went to war with the group after its 7 October attack. On that day, waves of Hamas gunmen invaded Israel and attacked communities around the border, killing about 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and taking around 240 to Gaza as hostages. Israel launched a military offensive in response, with the declared aim of destroying Hamas.

Since then, more than 22,000 Palestinians – mostly women and children – have been killed in Israeli strikes on Gaza, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run health ministry.

Hezbollah has fired scores of rockets into Israel and fought several skirmishes with Israeli forces during the Gaza war.

Lebanon’s state news agency said Arouri had been killed by an Israeli drone attack on a Hamas office in the southern Beirut suburb of Dahiyeh.

Scene of blast in Beirut (02/01/24)
Arouri is reported to have been killed in a drone strike on a third floor (BBC)

A witness from Reuters news agency saw firefighters and paramedics gathered around a high-rise building where there was a large hole in what appeared to be the third floor. Video footage on social media showed a car in flames and extensive damage to buildings in what is a busy residential area. Dahiyeh is known as a stronghold of Hezbollah.

Haniyeh, the head of Hamas’s political wing, called the attack a “cowardly… terrorist act, a violation of Lebanon’s sovereignty, and an expansion of its circle of aggression”.

Hezbollah said that it considered Arouri’s death “to be a serious assault on Lebanon, its people, its security, sovereignty, and resistance, and the highly symbolic and significant political and security messages it contains”.

It said the attack was “a dangerous development in the course of the war and we in Hezbollah affirm that this crime will never pass without response and punishment. “Its hand is on the trigger, and its resistors are in the highest levels of readiness and preparedness,” it added.

Iran, a major supporter of both groups, said Arouri’s killing would “undoubtedly ignite another surge in the veins of resistance”.

An Israeli security cabinet meeting scheduled for Tuesday evening to discuss the post-war plan for Gaza was cancelled.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has previously vowed to eliminate Hamas’s leaders, wherever they are.

Arouri was also considered the de facto leader of Hamas’s military wing in the West Bank, overseeing attacks there, according to Israeli media reports. He is believed to have been involved in the kidnapping and killing of three Israeli teenagers in the occupied West Bank in 2014, reports say, and had served time in Israeli jails for other attacks.

The Times of Israel says he was also one of the Hamas officials most closely connected to Iran and Hezbollah.

(BBC)



Latest News

IPL 2025: Marsh, Markram and Rathi shine as LSG edge MI in thriller

Published

on

By

LSG celebrate a nail-biting win against MI [Cricbuzz]

Hardik Pandya claimed his maiden T20 five-fer and scored an unbeaten 16-ball 28 but was powerless to prevent Mumbai Indians’ [MI] third loss in four games. They lost to a spirited Lucknow Super Giants [LSG] side, who had Mitchell Marsh and Aiden Markram to thank for powering them to 203, a score that they defended by 12 runs, thanks in large part to a superb spell from 25-year-old Digvesh Rathi, who took 1 for 21.

At the 15-over mark, the contest was evenly poised: LSG stood at 146 for 3, MI at 143 for 3. Mumbai, historically strong chasers, seemed on course for a late surge. But that’s when Rathi made his mark. The legspinner delivered a crucial spell, conceding just 10 runs from his first three overs. Skipper Rishabh Pant even reserved an over of his for the death, and Rathi stood tall in the 18th, giving away just 11 against a rampaging Hardik Pandya. Across his four overs, Rathi bowled eight dots and conceded just a single boundary-proving to be the difference.

On the flip side, it was a night to forget for Impact Sub Tilak Varma. The rising star struggled to find fluency, scratching his way to 25 off 23 balls with just two boundaries. MI ultimately made the bold call to retire him out in the penultimate over, a move that underlined their desperate search for momentum.

LUCKNOW SUPER GIANTS

PowerPlay: Marsh takes charge

Phase Score: LSG 69/0 (RR: 11.50; 4s/6s: 10/2)

Mitchell Marsh could have been dismissed for just 4, and Trent Boult should’ve added yet another first-over wicket to his tally. But Mumbai Indians made a crucial blunder – they didn’t appeal for a clear nick. It proved costly. The Aussie powerhouse, fondly known as ‘The Bison’, tore into MI’s bowlers with brute force and clean timing. Marsh plundered nine boundaries and two towering sixes, driving straight and through the line with disdain even as the ball offered swing and the pitch served up uneven bounce.

He faced 30 deliveries in the PowerPlay – the most by any batter in that phase in IPL history – and made every ball count, hammering 60 runs off them in a whirlwind display.

Middle Overs: Markram holds firm even as MI chip away

Phase Score: LSG 77/3 (RR: 8.55, 4s/6s: 5/4)

Marsh fell to the very first ball he faced after the PowerPlay, chipping a return catch to Vignesh Puthur. The dismissal cracked open a window for Mumbai Indians to claw back, and skipper Hardik Pandya made the most of it. He struck with a sharp short ball to remove the dangerous Nicholas Pooran for just 12. Pandya wasn’t done yet. He extended Rishabh Pant’s lean start to IPL 2025, as the LSG captain mistimed a short ball that held up on the pitch, spooning a simple catch to mid-off. In the space of just 24 balls, LSG had lost three key wickets for 38 runs and were suddenly wobbling. That’s when Markram stepped in, steadying the innings with composure and control. He found an ideal partner in Ayush Badoni, and together they stitched a crucial 51-run stand off just 31 deliveries, dragging the LSG innings back on course

Death Overs: Hardik grabs maiden T20 five-fer but LSG breach 200

Phase Score: 57/5 (RR: 11.40; 4s/6s: 6/2)

Markram completed a 34-ball half-century but LSG’s push for late runs was pegged back by Pandya’s continued excellence. The MI skipper used his cutters into the wicket efficiently and forced LSG’s batters to hit to the longer boundaries. Three such deliveries accounted for Markram, David Miller and Akash Deep as Pandya completed his maiden T20 five-fer. Between those wickets, however, LSG still found useful runs, notably from the bat of Miller, who struck three fours and a six in his 14-ball 27 to power LSG to 203 – only the second 200+ score in Lucknow.

MUMBAI INDIANS

PowerPlay: Openers fall but Naman Dhir keeps MI on track

Phase Score: 64/2 (RR: 10.67; 4s/6s: 4/4)

Mumbai Indians lost both openers early, but Naman Dhir’s explosive cameo kept the chase alive. The returning Akash Deep made an immediate impact, removing Will Jacks in his first over as the Englishman mistimed a pull to deep square. Shardul Thakur then repeated the dose, dismissing Ryan Rickelton in identical fashion. Promoted to No.3, Dhir counterpunched in style. He tore into Deep in the fourth over, smashing 21 runs with two sixes and two fours – an over that flipped the PowerPlay back in MI’s favour. Suryakumar Yadav, easing his way in, added a six of his own as Mumbai raced to 64 for 2 after six overs, with Dhir blazing his way to 35 off just 15 balls.

Middle Overs: Suryakumar keeps MI in the hunt

Phase Score: 79/1 (RR: 8.78; 4s/6s: 11/0)

MI surged to 86 for 2 in just eight overs before Digvesh Rathi broke the momentum with a crucial breakthrough. His carrom ball snuck through Dhir’s defence, drawing a faint inside-edge that crashed into the stumps and ended the batter’s sparkling 24-ball 46. The 69-run third-wicket stand had laid a strong platform, but Rathi’s tidy spell began to apply the brakes. The young spinner was impressive, conceding just 10 runs in his first three overs. Tilak Varma, in particular, struggled to get going against him, battling to find rhythm. But Suryakumar Yadav kept the scoreboard ticking, finding regular boundaries to keep the chase alive. At the end of 13 overs, MI needed 79 from 42 balls-with the game finely poised. The India T20I captain got to a 31-ball half-century with a boundary off Ravi Bishnoi and another off Akash Deep to bring the equation to 61 off 30.

Death Overs: Shardul, Avesh hold nerve in tense finish

Phase Score: 48/2 (RR: 9.5, 4s/6s: 4/1)

LSG had a chance to break the partnership but Avesh Khan and Akash Deep fluffed an opportunity to effect a run-out. The former though atoned for that gaffe when he dismissed Suryakumar for 67 (42) after the batter walked across his crease to lap a ball but hit it too square and found the fielder at deep square-leg. That brought Pandya to the middle and the MI skipper drove the first ball – a full-toss – for four. But LSG continued to stack up good overs and Rathi bowled a very good 18th over before Shardul Thakur gave away just seven in the penultimate over when MI made the decision to pull Varma out. Avesh Khan was handed 22 runs to defend in the last over. He started on the back foot, conceding a six off the first ball, but held his nerve brilliantly thereafter. He nailed his yorkers under pressure, closing out a thrilling contest and sealing LSG’s second win of the season.

Brief scores:
Lucknow Super Giants 203/8 in 20 overs (Mitchell Marsh 60, Aiden Markram 53, Nicholas Pooran 12, Ayush Badoni 30, David Miller 27; Trent Boult 1-38, Ashwani Kumar 1-39, Vignesh Puthur 1-31, Hardik Pandya 5-36) beat Mumbai Indians 191/5 in 20 overs (Suryakumar Yadav 67, Naman Dhir 46, Ryan Rickelton 10, Tilak Vaema 25, Hardik Pandya 28*; Shardul Thakur 1-40, Akash Deep 1-46, Avesh Khan 1-40, Digvesh Rathi 1-21) by 12 runs

What’s next for the teams?

Mumbai Indians will return home to take on RCB on Monday (April 7). LSG will play the following day, against holders KKR in Kolkata.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Sun directly overhead Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon today (05th)

Published

on

By

On the apparent northward relative motion of the sun, it is going to be directly over the latitudes of Sri Lanka from 05th to 14th of April  this year.

The nearest areas of Sri Lanka over which the sun is overhead today (05th) are Kahawa, Meetiyagoda, Elamaldeniya, Ambakolawewa and Bundala at about 12:13 noon.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Worst week for US stocks since Covid crash as China hits back on tariffs

Published

on

By

[pic BBC]

Stock market turmoil deepened on Friday, as China hit back at tariffs announced by US President Donald Trump, raising the likelihood of an extended trade war and damage to the global economy.

All three major stock indexes in the US plunged more than 5%, with the S&P 500 dropping almost 6%, capping the worst week for the US stock market since 2020.

In the UK, the FTSE 100 plunged almost 5% – its steepest fall in five years, while Asian markets also dropped and exchanges in Germany and France faced similar declines.

Trump, who has vowed to remake the global trade order, dismissed concerns about the market shock, noting that the US labour market is strong.

“Hang tough,” he urged his followers on social media. “We can’t lose.”

The global stock market has lost trillions in value since Trump announced sweeping new 10% import taxes on goods from every country, with products from dozens of countries, including key trading partners such as China, the European Union and Vietnam, facing far higher rates.

Analysts say the moves, some of which are due to go into effect as soon as Saturday, amount to the biggest tax increase in the US since 1968.

They expect the measures to lead to a contraction in trade, and have warned they could drive many countries into an economic recession.

China responded to Trump on Friday by hitting US goods with import taxes of 34%, curbing exports of key minerals and adding American firms to its blacklist, describing Trump’s actions as “bullying” and a violation of international trade rules.

Other countries appear to be hoping they will be able to negotiate deals, despite conflicting signals from the White House about its appetite for talks.

Maroš Šefčovič, the trade commissioner for the EU, which has been planning to retaliate, said on Friday that he had had a “frank” two-hour exchange with US officials, and wrote on social media the trade relationship needed a “fresh approach”.

“The EU’s committed to meaningful negotiations, but also prepared to defend our interests,” he said. “We stay in touch.”

Trump’s moves are consistent with promises he made on the campaign trail last year.

But they were more far-reaching than some analysts had expected, triggering the worst week for the stock market since 2020, when the Covid-19 pandemic led to global shutdowns and other disruption.

The sell-off started with firms such as Apple and Nike, which rely heavily on suppliers in Asia. But on Friday, it moved into sectors that would typically not face the direct impact of tariffs, such as consumer staples, healthcare and utilities.

“Candidly the mood is pretty sour and it should be,” said Mike Dickson, head of research and quantitative strategies at Horizon Investments in the US, warning that it will take weeks to understand the impact of Trump’s tariffs.

[BBC]

 

Continue Reading

Trending