Connect with us

News

Disciplinary inquiry against SDIG Jayawardena to commence soon

Published

on

SC order in Easter Sunday cases:

By Norman Palihawadane

Police Headquarters is waiting for instructions from the Attorney General’s Department on conducting a disciplinary inquiry against former head of State Intelligence Service, Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena, as ordered by the Supreme Court last week.

Sources said SDIG Jayawardena had to be sent on compulsory leave if an impartial inquiry was to be conducted but that would depend on instructions from the AG Department. Most probably, the investigation would be conducted by an official appointed by the AG Department, sources said. As per the police disciplinary inquiry procedures, an investigation against an officer should be conducted by a superior. In SDIG Jayawardena’s case, there is only the IGP above him as

per recent promotion given to him. In this instance, the IGP will not be able to conduct the inquiry, but an official from the AG Department could do so. The question of rank did not arise when the person handling the inquiry happened to be a civilian, sources said.

Police Media Spokesperson, SSP Nihal Thalduwa, contacted for comment, said that according to the Supreme Court order, Police Headquarters was bound to conduct a disciplinary inquiry against SDIG Jayawardena.

The Supreme Court last Thursday (12) ordered disciplinary action against SDIG Jayawardena, who was also ordered to pay compensation to the tune of Rs. 75 million to the Easter Sunday carnage victims. The Supreme Court order was received by Police Headquarters on Friday (13), and forwarded to the Police Legal Department.

SSP Thalduwa confirmed that an inquiry would get underway this week. Its findings would be referred to the National Police Commission for further action, he said.Based on the current situation, Senior DIG Jayawardena will be removed as the Head of Police Administration, and Senior DIG Lalith Pathinayake appointed to that post.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Cabinet approves construction of new 300 bed Base Hospital in Deniyaya

Published

on

By

The Cabinet of Ministers approved the resolution forwarded by the Minister of Health and Mass Media to relocate the Deniyaya Base Hospital after constructing a new hospital with a capacity of 300 beds at an estimated cost of Rupees 6,000 million.

The Southern Provincial Department of Health has acquired a plot of land in Handford estate which is approximately 03 kilometres away from the town for this purpose.

Continue Reading

News

Cabinet nod to legally empower methodology for implementing the ‘Praja Shakthi’ poverty alleviation national movement

Published

on

By

The Cabinet of Ministers granted approval for the resolution furnished by the Minister of Rural Development, Social Security and Community Empowerment to instruct the Legal Draftsman to draft a bill to legally empower the implementation of ‘Praja Shakthi’ (Strength of the Community) poverty alleviation national movement

Continue Reading

News

NPP not under Indian pressure to hold PC polls – JVP

Published

on

Tilvin Silva

…preliminary work started on new Constitution

JVP General Secretary Tilvin Silva yesterday (17) maintained that the NPP government was not under Indian pressure to hold the long delayed Provincial Council elections.

The top JVP official said so appearing on Sirasa Pathikada, anchored by Asoka Dias. Tilvin Silva said that neither the devolution nor terrorism issues had been discussed during his meeting with External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar and Deputy National Security Advisor Pavan Kapoor, in New Delhi. This was Tilvin Silva’s first visit to India.

Declaring that politics hadn’t been on the agenda, the JVPer said that the Indian focus was entirely on economic development and technology.

The JVP General Secretary visited India under the Indian Council for Cultural Relations’ (ICCR) Distinguished Visitors Programme from 5-12 February 2026. General Secretary Silva was accompanied by Kitnan Selvaraj, MP, Ilankumaran Karunanathan, MP, JVP Central Committee Member Janaka Adhikari, JVP’s Media Unit Head Hemathilaka Gamage and Member of JVP’s International Relations Department Kalpana Madhubhashini. The delegation visited New Delhi, Ahmedabad and Thiruvananthapuram.

Responding to another query, Tilvin Silva said that Dr. S. Jaishankar had reiterated that India would always remain a true and trusted partner for Sri Lanka, in accordance with its ‘Neighbourhood First Policy’ and Vision ‘MAHASAGAR.’

Referring to the second JVP insurrection in the late 1980s, the JVPer claimed that they had not been against India but responded to the actions of the then Indian government.

Sri Lanka enacted the 13th Amendment to the Constitution in the wake of the Indo-Lanka peace accord of July 1987 to pave the way for Provincial Councils.

Tilvin Silva said that since they came to power, Indo-Sri Lanka relations had changed. “India has realised we could work together,” he said.

The JVP official said that preliminary work was underway, regarding the formulation of a new Constitution. The abolition of executive presidency and creation of an Office of President sans executive powers, too, would be addressed, he said, adding that the strengthening of the legislature was the other issue at hand.

Pointing out that the NPP had 2/3 majority in Parliament and could introduce a new Constitution on their own, Tilvin Silva said that they intended to obtain views of all and study the past processes in a bid to secure consensus. The JVP, as the party that campaigned against the introduction of executive presidency, way back in 1978, would lead the current effort to do away with the existing Constitution, he said.

Tilvin promised that they would implement what was in their manifesto.

The interviewer also raised the issue of abolishing the pensions for ex-Presidents. Tilvin Silva said that the Supreme Court, too, had approved the move to abolish pensions to ex-MPs. Therefore there was no issue with that, however, the ex-Presidents pensions couldn’t be done away with as they were made through the Constitution. That would be addressed when the government introduced a new Constitution in consultation with other stakeholders.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

Trending