Connect with us

News

Dinesh alluding to CFA, reminds Ranil of how he behaved when he was in power

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe called on the Speaker yesterday to issue an order to the Secretary to the Ministry of Finance that he should submit a copy to Parliament of the agreement signed with the New Fortress Energy Company of the US.

The UNP leader said that he had already raised a privilege issue on the matter and the government should submit a copy of the agreement to the House. Without a copy of the agreement, how could one expect the MPs to participate in a debate over the issue, the UNP leader queried.

“This agreement has been signed by the Secretary to the Ministry of Finance therefore he is bound by the responsibility to submit a copy of the agreement to Parliament,” he said.

Leader of the House Education Minister Dinesh Gunawardena said that the relevant Minister had agreed that he would submit a copy of the agreement to Parliament.

The Leader of the House said that it had not been possible for the Opposition to get copies of the agreements signed by the government during the times when Ranil Wickremesinghe was the Prime Minister. “You did not heed such requests when you were in power. We are happy that you have mended ways after losing power.”

UNP leader Wickremesinghe said that copies of all agreements the government had signed had been given to the sectoral oversight committees while he was the Prime Minister. “If the government disagrees, I am ready for a debate on the matter.”

Chief Opposition Whip Kandy District MP Lakshman Kiriella said any document asked for by the Opposition was submitted to Parliament while he was the Leader of the House of the previous Parliament and challenged the incumbent Leader of the House to prove him wrong.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

News

Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide

Published

on

Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.

The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.

In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.

In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.

The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.

Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.

by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva

Continue Reading

News

Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals

Published

on

Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.

The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.

Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.

According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.

Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.

Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.

The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.

by Norman Palihawadane

Continue Reading

Trending