News
Crisis in rice market: Large portion of imported stocks diverted to production of flour and animal feed
Frontline Socialist Party Propaganda Secretary Pubudu Jagoda raised alarming concerns regarding the ongoing rice shortage crisis in Sri Lanka. Addressing a press conference held at the party headquarters in Nugegoda last Thursday, Jagoda said that despite the importation of 79,000 metric tons of rice to address the crisis, reports indicate that a significant portion of these imported stocks is being diverted for the production of flour and animal feed, further exacerbating the shortages within the market.
Jagoda highlighted that records from the Department of Agriculture show no production shortage of rice in the country. With an annual requirement of 2.4 million metric tons, Sri Lanka’s rice harvest for 2023 was reported at a surplus of 4.8 million metric tons, with 4.2 million metric tons forecasted for 2024. However, most of this surplus is reportedly held by major rice mill owners, leaving farmers without adequate stock.
“Currently, the market is facing a shortage of Nadu and Kekulu rice. Reports indicate that 77% of the recently harvested rice is Nadu, suggesting that an invisible hand is preventing rice from reaching consumers. The government needs to investigate who is controlling the flow of rice into the market,” said Jagoda.
The growing tension between rice millers and the government has surfaced following a price hike from 220 to 230 rupees, after which millers agreed to release rice stocks to the market. Jagoda pointed out the contradiction in claiming a shortage while simultaneously making rice available upon price increases.
Despite government efforts to address the crisis through imports, the recent Customs reports revealed that the rice shortage persists. Information suggests that the imported rice is not being distributed effectively, as companies have prioritized producing flour and animal feed over supplying the market.
Jagoda emphasized the urgency for government action: “This serious situation requires immediate intervention. Although the government aims to regulate the rice market, only 780 metric tons have been managed through state channels—barely 10% of the daily requirements.
“The Minister of Trade and Commerce has confirmed that all government tenders for rice imports have been rejected, prompting calls for an investigation into how private tenders were approved. Jagoda expressed concerns over potential negligence or hidden agendas that may have undermined the government’s capabilities.
“As the Frontline Socialist Party we continue to advocate for breaking the monopoly held by major rice wholesalers. These wholesalers have secured funds through loans from state banks, which holds critical data related to quantities purchased and financial transactions.
“There must be a thorough investigation to protect farmers, retail vendors, and consumers from falling under the control of a small group of businesses,” Jagoda concluded, urging swift action from the government to resolve the ongoing rice crisis.
News
Opp. alleges CIABOC tool in govt.’s hands
An opposition grouping alleged yesterday (18) that the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) had become a political tool in the hands of the JVP/NPP to suppress the Opposition both in and outside Parliament.
Former Minister Prof. G. L. Peiris accused the CIABOC of fabricating cases against political opponents by manipulating those summoned. He tore into the institution, alleging that it drove people to suicide.
Addressing the media at the former President Ranil Wickremesinghe’s Flower Road office, Prof. Peiris alleged that former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena, had been a victim of that despicable strategy. Director General of CIABOC, ex-High Court Judge Ranga Dissanayake, had warned Chandrasena of dire consequences unless the latter fully cooperated with the Commission, Prof. Peiris said.
Prof. Peiris emphasised the responsibility on the part of all concerned to examine Chandrasena’s affidavit regarding the intervention made by the Director General.
Chandrasena committed suicide while being on bail in connection with an investigation into the alleged USD 2 mn bribe to facilitate an Airbus deal during the second term of President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
Prof. Peiris alleged that the CIABOC Director General had taken control of the Commission and was pursuing an agenda inimical to the law. (SF)
News
Over 5,000 military personnel promoted to coincide with 17th anniversary of victory over terrorism
In line with the 17th National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day, which falls on 19 May, a total of 5,289 Tri Service personnel have been granted promotions to their next respective ranks in recognition of their dedicated service rendered to the nation, the Defence Ministry announced.
The National War Heroes’ Commemoration Day is commemorated annually on 19 May to honour and appreciate the invaluable sacrifices and exemplary service of members of the Tri Forces who contributed immensely towards restoring peace and safeguarding the sovereignty of the motherland.
Accordingly, these promotions have been awarded, based on the recommendations of the respective Service Commanders, and in accordance with the established administrative procedures of the Tri Forces.
News
Inclement weather: Kalutara District worst affected
Kalutara is the worst affected district due to the prevailing adverse weather conditions. According to the Disaster Management Centre (DMC) of approximately 200 houses partially damaged so far, about 90% are in the Kalutara district.
DMC said that 22 houses had been damaged in the Ratnapura District, 14 in the Galle District, 4 in the Moneragala District, 25 in the Batticaloa District, 5 in the Colombo District, 4 in the Jaffna District, 25 in the Gampaha District, 2 in the Hambantota District, 2 in the Anuradhapura District, 5 in the Mannar District, and 2 in the Trincomalee District..
One house was destroyed in the Ratnapura District.
The DMC further stated that 1,582 families had been affected by the inclement weather.
The affected families are in 66 Divisional Secretariat divisions across the country.
Accordingly, a total of 5,267 individuals from 1,582 families have been impacted by adverse weather, according to the statement issued by the Centre.
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Opinion5 days agoElectricity tariffs have skyrocketed: Can further increases be prevented?
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News2 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
