Connect with us

News

Bid to set fuel bowser on fire: Public Security Minister makes inquiries after suspect gets bail

Published

on

Mirihana arsonists yet to be apprehended

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Public Security Minister Prasanna Ranatunga has made inquiries from the relevant authorities about the circumstances that led a person being arrested in connection with an attempt to set fire to a fuel bowser, during the recent disturbances at Rambukkana, where one protester died in police shooting.

A spokesperson for Ranatunga said that an explanation had been sought soon after the Kegalle Magistrate granted bail to the suspect taken into custody. The official said in response to The Island queries whether the Public Security Ministry had initiated an inquiry to find out whether lapses on the part of law enforcement authorities had led to the suspect being granted bail.

The suspect was released by the Kegalle Magistrates Courton on two sureties of Rs. 100,000 each. However, the suspect was remanded as no one offered to meet the bail conditions. The CID arrested the 27-year-old person on the night of 22 April, following the telecast of a video where the suspect is seen to be trying to set the fuel bowser on fire.

The Island also brought the development to the attention of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL). A senior BASL official said that the outfit would inquire into the Kegalle development and their position could be stated depending on the outcome of the inquiries.

The attempt to set a bowser ablaze at Rambukkana prompted the government to decide on military escorts for bowsers and trains carrying fuel.

Meanwhile, Minister Ranatunga has instructed the police to ensure that the ongoing protest campaign wouldn’t hinder the movement of vehicles, especially buses, trucks and ambulances. Acknowledging the right of the public to engage in protests, Minister Ranatunga said that the police should take necessary action to ensure movement of vehicles, including those carrying essential supplies and school vans.

Minister Ranatunga’s spokesperson pointed out that two persons wanted in connection with the setting fire to two buses belonging to the Army and the Police during protests at Pangiriwatte were yet to be apprehended. The police recently released video footage of the suspects while requesting for public assistance to apprehend them.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

News

Torrential rains cause havoc countrywide

Published

on

Heavy and persistent rains lashed several parts of Sri Lanka yesterday, triggering flooding, transport disruptions, flight diversions and multiple disaster warnings as water levels rose in key river basins and low-lying urban areas.

The worst affected situation was reported along the Colombo–Avissawella main road, where floodwaters submerged sections of the highway, bringing vehicular movement to a standstill at several points, including the Puwakpitiya-Thummodara junction, the Seethawaka Botanical Garden area, and parts of Yatiyantota. Traffic was also severely disrupted along the Delgoda–Belumahara road at Udupila, and the Gampaha–Miriswatta road, due to inundation, while movement on the Divulapitiya–Mirigama route was restricted for light vehicles, following flooding at Ullalapitiya.

In the Kelani River Valley, rising water levels, following heavy rainfall in the catchment areas, prompted warnings of possible minor flooding within the next 48 hours. The Irrigation Department cautioned that areas, including Hanwella, Seethawaka, Dompe, Padukka, Homagama, Biyagama, Kaduwela, Kolonnawa, Kelaniya, Wattala and Colombo, could be affected. The flood alert, issued at 10:00 am yesterday, remains valid for 48 hours, until Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO) issued landslide warnings covering six districts—Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura. Red alerts were issued for Dehiowita, in Kegalle and Ratnapura, while amber and yellow warnings were declared for several vulnerable divisions, including Seethawaka, Padukka, Attanagalla, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala, Ruwanwella, Kuruwita, Ayagama, Pelmadulla, Yatiyantota, Ambagamuwa, Eheliyagoda, Nivithigala and Kalawana.

In the civil aviation sector, poor visibility and heavy rain around Katunayake forced the diversion of around six inbound flights, bound for Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), to Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport, as a precautionary measure.

The Department of Meteorology reported that the highest rainfall recorded was 336.5 mm in Pambegama, Kegalle, between Thursday morning and Friday morning, underscoring the intensity of the ongoing weather system.

Authorities have urged the public, in affected districts, to remain vigilant, avoid flood-prone roads, and adhere to disaster warnings as adverse weather conditions are expected to persist.

by Norman Palihawadane and Chaminda Silva

Continue Reading

News

Dubai deports 21 Sri Lankan criminals

Published

on

Twenty-one alleged underworld operatives, deported from Dubai, were taken into custody by the CID, upon their arrival at the Mattala International Airport yesterday, Police said.

The suspects, including alleged organised crime figures, known as “Mahawatta Chamara” and “Kudu Duminda,” were arrested within the airport premises, shortly after disembarking from several inbound flights that had been diverted to Mattala, due to adverse weather conditions affecting operations at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA), in Katunayake.

Police said the group had been residing overseas for an extended period while allegedly continuing to direct organised criminal activities and narcotics trafficking operations in Sri Lanka.

According to law enforcement authorities, the deportees were among a group of wanted criminal suspects linked to underworld networks and ongoing investigations into organised crime activities.

Senior Police officials stated that “Mahawatta Chamara” is expected to be handed over to the Central Crime Investigation Bureau for further investigations, while inquiries into the activities and alleged criminal links of the remaining suspects are also continuing.

Police sources said the deportees arrived in the country during the early hours of yesterday after flights originating from Dubai were rerouted to the Mattala Airport.

Authorities have not yet disclosed the specific charges pending against the suspects, but investigators believe several of them maintained operational ties to criminal syndicates involved in drug trafficking and other organised crimes, despite being based overseas.

The CID has commenced extensive investigations to determine the extent of the suspects’ alleged involvement in underworld activities and their connections to ongoing criminal operations in the country.

by Norman Palihawadane

Continue Reading

Trending