News
X-Press Pearl controversy: Prof. Peiris zeroes in on AG
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Jathika Nidahas Sabhawa Spokesperson Prof. G. L. Peiris, MP, Tuesday (02) questioned the conduct of the Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, pertaining to obtaining compensation for the worst ever marine disaster, caused in Sri Lankan waters, following the sinking of container carrier X-Press Pearl, in the first week of June 2021.
Rajaratnam was sworn in as AG on May 26, 2021, less than a week after the ill-fated vessel, carrying a hazardous cargo, reported a fire onboard, but was allowed to enter Sri Lankan waters.
Addressing the media, at the Nawala Office of the breakaway SLPP faction, the former top law academic emphasized that the AG, on behalf of his department, owed an explanation as regards Sri Lanka’s response to the unprecedented marine disaster, and its aftermath.
The former External Affairs Minister asked whether Sri Lanka’s pathetic response was caused by negligence on the part of the AG’s department or some mysterious intervention made by some interested party/parties.
“Why did the government wait for the last moment to file action?” Prof. Peiris asked.
The other contentious issue at hand is why a Singaporean court had been moved against the owners X-Press Feeders, and the insurers of X-Press Pearl, regardless of specific recommendation made by an expert committee, appointed by the Marine Environment Protection Authority (MEPA), to file action in Colombo.
Attorney-at-Law Dharshani Lahandapura, the then Chairperson of the MEPA, told The Island that, on the basis of the recommendations made by the expert committee, she felt action should be filed here. The expert commit was jointly led by Prof. Ajith de Alwis and Prof. Prasanthi Gunawardane.
Her successor Asela B. Rakewa, also an Attorney-at-Law, said that MEPA was not consulted by the AG regarding filing of the case in Singapore. Rakewa said so in response to The Island query. Rakewa declined to comment on that decision as he couldn’t take a stand, contrary to that of the Cabinet-of-Ministers.
Prof. Peiris said that he couldn’t believe that a Singaporean court had been moved against an incident that took place within Sri Lankan waters. The former minister questioned the culpability on the part of the Cabinet-of-Ministers for the decision on the Singaporean court, as advised by the AG.
At the time of the X-Press Pearl disaster, Prof. Peiris served the then Cabinet of Gotabaya Rajapaksa. The rebel SLPP group quit the government parliamentary group, on July 20, 2022, in the wake of the party throwing its weight behind PM Ranil Wickremesinghe, at the vote to elect a successor to complete the balance period of ousted President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s term.
The SLPP National List member pointed out that the action would cost bankrupt Sri Lanka an arm and a leg. Declaring that Sri Lanka’s response disclosed continuing pathetic state of affairs, Prof. Peiris asked the government also to explain the involvement of an Australian firm in filing action in Singapore. “We would like to know who picked this particular Australian firm, and the procedure followed,” Prof. Peiris said.
At the onset of the briefing, Prof. Peiris welcomed an opportunity to debate the X-Press Pearl affair in Parliament next week. Parliament meets on May 09. Sittings will continue till May 12.
The former minister compared the USD 2.9 bn bailout package, secured from the IMF, in March this year, and compensation to the tune of USD 6.4 bn which could be ours if Sri Lanka handled the case properly.
Commenting on the continuing controversy over an alleged bribe amounting to USD 250 mn (Rs 80 bn) received by a person in a position to sabotage Sri Lanka’s case, Prof. Peiris called for a thorough inquiry.
The Island
, in its 13 April edition, exclusively reported the disclosure made by Justice Minister Dr. Wijeyadasa Rajapakse, PC, pertaining to USD 250 mn being deposited in a UK bank.
Prof. Peiris questioned the validity and the basis for the Justice Minister’s complaint to the IGP as regards the massive bribe allegedly received by an interested party. The former minister asked for a proper inquiry to identify one Chamara Gunasekera whose name has transpired in this connection.
Referring to domestic and international laws in place to curb money laundering, Prof. Peiris said that such a massive deposit would have immediately alerted the British system and appropriate action taken.
It is a proven fact that virtually all leading British banks have been fined by the American legal system for mainly laundering drug cartel money, but not a single banker responsible for such criminal acts have been punished, let alone imprisoned.
The former minister also speculated about the possibility of the government propagating a lie to divert public attention.
Prof. Peiris asked whether the AG’s Department was aware of an attempt made by the ship owners and insurers to move British court against Sri Lanka’s efforts to secure sufficient damages. If they succeeded, a limit would be imposed on the damages Sri Lanka was entitled to as a result of the worst ever marine disaster in this part of the world.
Latest News
Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya meets Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom
Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya currently undertaking an official visit to London, United Kingdom, to participate in the 43rd Commonwealth of Learning (COL) Board of Governors Meeting 2026 held a bilateral meeting with the Yvette Cooper MP, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom ON Wednesday [20]. The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera, along with officials from the Sri Lankan High Commission.
During the meeting, the Prime Minister conveyed Sri Lanka’s appreciation to the United Kingdom for the support extended in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwa, including ongoing rebuilding and recovery assistance. The Prime Minister also commended the United Kingdom’s support in facilitating increased bilateral trade and exports for Sri Lanka.
The Prime Minister briefed the UK delegation on Sri Lanka’s recent economic developments and policy priorities, the Government’s commitment to advancing human rights and reconciliation, as well as Sri Lanka’s positive growth trajectory.
The two sides also exchanged views on current global geopolitical developments, challenges in the energy sector, and the importance of enhancing regional connectivity and long-term energy security.
Both sides also emphasised the importance of strengthening structured academic mobility frameworks while ensuring fairness, clarity, and integrity within migration systems.
They also reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in areas of mutual interest.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
News
Suspects involved in sureties controversy granted bail
Airbus bribe case:
Colombo Additional Magistrate Lahiru Silva yesterday (20) granted bail to Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan, who allegedly received money to stand as sureties for the late former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena. They were identified as residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, situated next to the Hulftsdorp court complex.
Chandrasena was found dead at his brother-in-law, Aravinda De Silva’s residence, at No. 38, Pedris Road, Kollupitiya, on 8 May.
The Magistrate also granted bail to B. A. Tissa and Perumal Ganesh, who arranged for Riswan and Irshan to stand as sureties for Chandrasena, who is under investigation for allegedly receiving a USD 2 million bribe through his wife to facilitate an Airbus deal. They, too, residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, were granted bail on two personal bail of Rs. 500,000 each.
Airbus had to pay USD 4 billion in penalties after admitting it had paid huge bribes to secure contracts in 20 countries. Sri Lanka is among them.
The Magistrate directed that the Grama Niladhari should certify their residence and the relevant certificates submitted to court and to establish the financial status of those who stood as sureties for the four persons.
The court was told that Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan obtained 17 Grama Niladhari certificates from January till May 2026. On the basis of a statement recorded from Keselwatta Grama Niladhari S. Nilantha Silva police informed court that the first suspect had obtained 10 certificates and the second person seven.
Fourth suspect Ganesh had first met those who stood as sureties, on 05 May, in the court premises and struck the deal. Crime OIC of Keselwatta Police, Sub Inspector K.W.D. Anuruddha, told court that Mohamed Riswan, Mohamed Irshan and B. A. Tissa hadn’t even known who Chandrasena was and were not related to him in anyway, according to investigations. Police requested that the four persons be further remanded.
The Magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for 25 June.
Legal sources said that such illegal practices were rampant, and in this particular case the Court Registrar should have been able to see that the sureties were very much unlikely to be relatives of Chandrasena.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
Steps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
The government has initiated a major conservation drive to protect its fragile northern marine ecosystems, with top government officials pledging stronger action against environmental degradation, destructive fishing practices, and Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing in the country’s northern seas and adjacent islands.
A high-level discussion chaired jointly by Deputy Minister of Environment Anton Jayakody and Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekara was held on Tuesday (19) at the Ministry of Environment to formulate an integrated strategy aimed at safeguarding Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage and accelerating marine conservation initiatives.
Senior naval officers, top environment officials, conservation experts, and representatives from several state agencies attended the meeting, which focused heavily on the declaration of new Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Northern Province.
Among those present were Secretary to the Ministry of Environment K.R. Uduwawala, Chairman of the Marine Environment Protection Authority Samantha Gunasekara, Director General of the Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management Department Prof. Turny Pradeep Kumara, Conservator General of Forests Palamakumbura, officials of the Department of Wildlife Conservation, and senior ecologists from International Union for Conservation of Nature.
Officials stressed that the protection of Sri Lanka’s northern marine zone was essential not only for biodiversity conservation but also for sustaining the livelihoods of fishing communities and strengthening the country’s maritime standing internationally.
A major concern raised during the meeting was the increasing ecological destruction caused by IUU fishing activities. Ministers warned that such unlawful practices posed a severe threat to marine biodiversity and the economic stability of local fishermen.
The discussion also focused on intensifying surveillance operations and strengthening law enforcement mechanisms to combat destructive fishing methods, including dynamite fishing, unauthorized spearfishing, and the use of banned fishing gear that continue to devastate coral reef ecosystems and endangered marine species.
Attention was also drawn to governance and infrastructure shortcomings within fishing harbours, with officials identifying the lack of proper management systems and formal regulatory mechanisms as major vulnerabilities contributing to environmental degradation.
As part of the proposed conservation strategy, several islands and surrounding marine zones in the Northern Province have now been identified for official declaration as Marine Protected Areas.
Authorities clarified that the establishment of MPAs would not undermine the livelihoods of local communities but instead promote sustainable fishing practices while opening new opportunities for eco-tourism development.
Officials said these protected marine zones could eventually be developed into internationally recognised eco-tourism destinations, generating fresh economic opportunities for the Northern Province while enhancing Sri Lanka’s environmental credentials globally.
The meeting further highlighted that the declaration of new MPAs would reinforce Sri Lanka’s commitment to international biodiversity conservation obligations and demonstrate the country’s role as a responsible custodian of the Indian Ocean’s marine resources.
A proposal was also made to establish a multi-sectoral working group comprising representatives from the Ministries of Tourism, Fisheries, Defence, Environment, and Justice to implement a coordinated mechanism for the protection of coastal and marine resources under the leadership of the Ministry of Environment.
Officials described the initiative as another significant milestone in Sri Lanka’s broader journey towards building a sustainable biosphere and ensuring long-term environmental security for future generations.
By Ifham Nizam
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
Features7 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
