Connect with us

News

Tender awarded even before Cabinet decision

Published

on

Procurement of fake Immunoglobulin:

Ex-State Minister says this particular medicine cannot be produced here

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) parliamentarian Kavinda Jayawardana yesterday (20) said that the Wickremesinghe-Rajapaksa government fiercely protected those who had been responsible for a spate of corrupt deals at the Health Ministry.

The recent arrest of former Health Secretary Janaka Sri Chandragupta over the procurement of fake Immunoglobulin by the Ministry was just one of many corrupt deals, the Gampaha District lawmaker told The Island.

The Parliament on 08 Sept., 2023 defeated a no-confidence motion moved against Health Minister Keheliya Rambukwella, thereby allowing the sordid operations to continue, he said.

“The SLPP saved Minister Rambukwella,” Jayawardana said, adding that 113 MPs who voted against the no-faith motion and 38 absentees at the time of the voting, following a three-day debate, owed the country an esplanation.

MP Jayawardana emphasised that the arrested Health Secretary had been the Chief Accounting Officer of that particular Ministry and also functioned as the head of the Health Sector Emergency Procurement Committee (HSEPC).

At the time of his arrest, Chandragupta, a Special Grade Officer in the Sri Lanka Administrative Service, was on retirement. Chandragupta received the appointment as Health Secretary on May 24, 2022 close on the heels of Premier Mahinda Rajapaksa’s resignation.

Former Director General of Health Services and one time additional Secretary, Dr. Palitha Maheepala was brought in November this year as Chandragupta’s successor.

Responding to another query, MP Jayawardena said that about a week before the Parliament voted on the no-confidence motion against Minister Rambukwella, he along with Gampaha District colleague Harshana Rajakaruna filed a fundamental rights petition targeting the Minister concerned and several senior officials, including Chairman NMRA (National Medicine Regulatory Authority) and DGHS (Director General of Health Services).

Health sector sources said that the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) arrested Director, Medical Supplies Division Dr. Kapila Wickremenayake, Assistant Director Devashantha Soloman, Accountant (Supplies) Neran Dhananjaya and the Stock Controller of the Medical Supplies Division Sujith Kumara in connection with the high profile scam on Nov 20, the day Chandragupta retired, having reached the mandatory retirement age of 60 years.

About a week after their arrest the CID recorded a statement from Finance Secretary Mahinda Siriwardana in connection with the ongoing investigation. Chandragupta was taken into custody about three weeks later.

Arrested on Dec 18, Chandragupta was remanded till Dec 17 by Maligakanda Magistrate Lochana Abeywickrema pending further investigations.

Former State Health Minister Prof. Channa Jayasumana told The Island that some authorities, including police and a section of the media erroneously claimed that the ongoing investigation centered on the import of substandard Immunoglobulin vials.

The CID arrested Aruna Deepthi, the 57-year-old proprietor of Isolez Biotech Pharma on Oct 31 for supplying fake Immunoglobulin vials.

Prof. Jayasumana emphasized that Sri Lanka lacked the knowhow and the technology to produce Immunoglobulin vials under any circumstances. But, the government had accepted Isolez Biotech Pharma as a local producer capable of producing the Immunoglobulin vials thereby abusing the Indian credit line that was meant to import a range of items from India, including medicine.

Some concerned parties, including Ravi Kumudesh, President, College of Medical Laboratory Science, Dr. Rukshan Bellana, President, Government Medical Officers’ Forum and Dr. Chamal Sanjeewa, President of the Medical and Civil Rights Professional Association took up health sector corruption.

Prof. Jayasumana said that the Immunoglobulin controversy had caused irreparable damage to the country’s image. “Whatever the problems, our health service was considered in line with Western standards,” Prof. Jayasumana said, urging the government to punish those responsible, regardless of their standing in society.

The Immunoglobulin issue came to light following reports of allergic reactions after the drug was administered to several patients being treated at the Colombo National Hospital and the Matale District Hospital on August 22 and September 16, respectively. Academy of Health Professionals on November 05 alleged that blood required for the production of the fake Immunoglobulin vials had been obtained from the National Blood Transfusion Service (NBTS).

Deputy Solicitor General Lakmini Girihagama appearing with Senior State Counsel Heshani Wijesinghe making submissions earlier on the progress of the CID investigations has told Maligakanda Magistrate Court that prior to the Cabinet decision taken in October 2022, tenders had been called in September 2022 and the 1st suspect Aruna Deepthi had been selected as the successful tenderer for Human Immunoglobulin and Rituximab.

She said according to the Ministry Chief Accountant Savidra Cooray the 1st suspect’s company Isolez Biotech Pharma had requested for payments for Rituximab supplied and the Secretary Health Chandragupta had approved the payment of Rs 107,799,481/= in three payments to the 1st suspect, directing it to be paid on a priority basis.

However, the CID arrested Director, Medical Supplies Division Dr. Kapila Wickremenayake, who hadn’t been even attached to the unit at the time, but away in the UK from January to Dec 2022, in connection with the inquiry.

Dr. Bellana said that one of those doctors directly involved in the corrupt procurement process had fled the country. That doctor served as an Additional Secretary in charge of emergency procurement who wielded power as he happened to be a brother of a sitting ruling party MP, Dr. Bellana said. The trade union activist stressed that he didn’t imply the involvement of the MP whatsoever in the scam, but pointed out the need to conduct a no holds barred investigation.

The Additional Secretary had been also under investigation and the matter was also brought to the notice of the Maligakanda court, Dr. Bellana said, urging the government not to play politics with this issue.

Maligakanda Magistrate on Monday (18) ordered the office of Additional Secretary to the Health Ministry Dr. Saman Ratnayake sealed. Dr. Bellana said that the Doctor who fled the country had been an aide to Dr. Ratnayake, who held several other posts.

Dr. Bellana said that Minister Rambukwella couldn’t wash his hands of the developing situation as he, through a Cabinet paper, created the post of Additional Secretary, Emergency procurement to accommodate Dr. Ratnayake.



Latest News

Advisory for Heavy Rain issued for the Central, Uva, Sabaragamuwa, Eastern and North-central provinces and in Galle and Matara districts

Published

on

By

Advisory for Heavy Rain Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre  at 08.30 a.m. on 22 February 2026 valid for the period until 08.30 a.m. 23 February 2026

Due to the influence of the low level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka, Heavy showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in Central, Uva, Sabaragamuwa, Eastern and North-central provinces and in Galle and Matara districts.

Therefore, general public is advised to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by heavy rain, strong winds and lightning during thundershowers

Continue Reading

News

Matara Festival for the Arts’ inaugurated by the Prime Minister

Published

on

By

The inaugural ceremony of the Matara Festival for the Arts, featuring a wide range of creations by local and international artists, was held on February 19 at the Old High Court premises of the  Matara Fort, under the patronage of Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya.

The festival, centred around the Old High Court premises in Matara and the auditorium of the Matara District Secretariat, will be open to the public from 20 to 23 of February. The festival will be featured by visual art exhibitions, short film screenings, Kala Pola, and a series of workshops conducted by experts.

The inaugural event was attended by the Minister of Women and Child Affairs, Ms. Saroja Paulraj, along with artists, guests, and a large number of schoolchildren.

(Prime Minister’s Media Division)

Continue Reading

News

Only single MP refuses salary as Parliament details pays and allowances

Published

on

SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilake is the only MP to forego salary and allowances, with all payments suspended following his written notification on August 20, 2025.

Only one Member of Parliament has chosen not to receive the salaries and allowances entitled to MPs, Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya revealed in Parliament last Thursday, shedding light on the financial perks enjoyed by members of the Tenth Parliament.

Speaking on Thursday (Feb. 19) in response to a question from SJB Badulla District MP Chaminda Wijesiri, the Prime Minister outlined the full range of pay and allowances provided to parliamentarians.

According to Dr. Amarasuriya, MPs receive a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000, and a driver’s allowance of Rs. 3,500—though MPs provided with a driver through the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs are not eligible for the driver’s allowance.

Additional benefits include a telephone allowance of Rs. 50,000, a transport allowance of Rs. 15,000, and an office allowance of Rs. 100,000. MPs are also paid a daily sitting allowance of Rs. 2,500 for attending parliamentary sessions, with an additional Rs. 2,500 per day for participation in parliamentary sittings and Rs. 2,500 per day as a committee allowance.

Committee meetings held on non-parliament sitting days also attract Rs. 2,500 per day.

Fuel allowances are provided based on the distance between an MP’s electoral district and Parliament. National List MPs are entitled to a monthly allocation equivalent to 419.76 litres of diesel at the market price on the first day of each month.

Despite the comprehensive benefits, only SJB Badulla District MP Nayana Wasalathilaka has opted not to draw a salary or allowances. Dr. Amarasuriya said that in accordance with a written notification submitted by MP Wasalathilaka on August 20, 2025, payments have been suspended since that date.

The Prime Minister also confirmed that she, along with the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, committee chairs, ministers, deputy ministers, the Opposition Leader, and senior opposition whips, have all informed the Secretary-General of Parliament in writing that they will not claim the fuel allowance.

Challenging the ruling party’s voluntary pledge to forgo salaries, MP Wijesiri pointed out that all MPs except Wasalathilaka continue to receive their salaries and allowances. “On one hand you speak about the people’s mandate, which is good. But the mandate also included people who said they would voluntarily serve in this Parliament without salaries. Today we have been able to prove, Hon. Speaker, that except for one SJB MP, the other 224 Members are drawing parliamentary salaries,” he said.

The Prime Minister responded by defending the political culture and practice of allocating portions of MPs’ salaries to party funds. Referring to previous practices by the JVP and NPP, she said: “It is no secret to the country that the JVP has for a long time not personally taken MPs’ salaries or any allowances. I think the entire country knows that these go to a party fund. That is not new, nor is it something special to mention. The NPP operates in the same way. That too is not new; it is the culture of our political movement.”

When MP Wijesiri posed a supplementary question asking whether diverting salaries to party funds was an indirect method of taking care of MPs, Dr. Amarasuriya said: “There is no issue there. No question was raised; the Member made a statement. What we have seen throughout this week is an inability to understand our political culture and practice, and a clash with decisions taken by political movements that misused public funds. What is coming out is a certain mindset. That is why there is such an effort to find fault with the 159. None of these facts are new to people. He did not ask a question, so I have nothing to answer.”

The disclosures come days after the Government moved to abolish the parliamentary pension, a measure that has sparked renewed debate over MP compensation and the transparency of funds allocation.

Continue Reading

Trending