Connect with us

news

SJB defends Vaas and lambasts SLC top rung

Published

on

Chief Operations Officer granted Rs. 1 mn salary hike

By Saman Indrajith

The main Opposition, SJB in Parliament yesterday found fault with Sri Lanka Cricket for having launched a vilification campaign against veteran cricketer Chaminda Vaas, and claiming that he had sought to hold ‘the game of cricket to ransom.’

SJB Kurunegala District MP Thushara Indunil said that it was very disheartening to see how the cricket officials had resorted to dirty tactics in a bid to tarnish the image of one of the best cricketers Sri Lanka had produced.

“Cricket is a brand in this country and Vaas was among those who uplifted the game to that level. We know that most officials in Sri Lanka are corrupt. During a recent COPE investigation the officials of Sri Lanka Cricket were dumbfounded and did not have responses to charges against them. We know that the Chief Operations Officer of Sri Lanka Cricket got a pay hike amounting to one million rupees and its Chief Executive Officer got a pay hike of between Rs 550,000 to Rs 600,000. Others working for the SLC do not get such benefits and cannot have their salaries increased in that manner. It is such officials who are now finding fault with Vaas and accuse him of demanding an additional payment of 3,500 US dollars. It is unfortunate to see the way officials treat our former players and tarnishing their names,” the MP said.

Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa said Vaas had decided to step down from his post of fast bowling coach hours before the team departed for the West Indies tour. “I personally regret that he made such a decision. Vaas was appointed to that position recently and after that he made a request for the increment. I have no criticism against that. Yet, the Board needs time to allocate funds and that has to be done by its Executive Committee. Following the dispute Vass tendered his resignation and the board has accepted it.”

 MP Indunil said that the amount allocated for Vass was less than his predecessor, an Australian national by the name of David Saker, and asked why Sri Lanka Cricket could not pay Vaas at least that amount.

 Minister Rajapaksa said that the amount had been decided as per the terms of the contract between Vaas and Sri Lanka Cricket. The contract still exists and there is a procedure to follow when asking for an increment,” the Minister said.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Massive revenue loss: Eyebrows raised over delay in responding to House query

Published

on

SLPP members say sugar deal black mark on govt.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Many an eyebrow has been raised over the delay on the part of the Finance Ministry to respond to a Finance Committee (FC) request for a comprehensive report on an alleged fraud in the controversial sugar tax revision.

Chairman of the Finance Commission Anura Priyadarshana Yapa on January 5 issued instructions to the Finance Ministry in this regard when the FC considered several special gazette notifications pertaining to the Ministry of Finance issued since October 2020.

According to the Communication Department of Parliament, MP Yapa on Feb 25 told the FC that the report called by him hadn’t been received yet. Yapa said so when State Minister Vidura Wickramanayaka and SLPP MP Nalin Fernando alleged the revision of taxes pertaining to the import of sugar hadn’t benefitted the consumers at all and only caused loss of revenue to the State. Severe criticism of the revision of sugar taxes was nothing but a black mark on the government.

Asked whether the report had been received since the issue at hand was taken up on Feb 25, the former Minister said that the FC answered in the negative.

Yapa told the last FC meeting that the Department of Import Control should be able to submit analytical comments with data on the relevant gazette amendments. Having approved the regulations issued on that day in respect of the issuance of licenses for the import of brown sugar, the FC recommended that a full explanation be given on March 09 with the participation of all relevant Ministries and Institutions.

Parliament is scheduled to meet on March 9.

Yapa is on record as having told the FC on January 5 though the tax on imported sugar was revised downwards to 25 cents from Rs. 50.00 per kilogram through the Gazette Notification No. 2197/12 issued by the Ministry of Finance on 13th October 2020, the move did not benefit the consumers at all.

JVP leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake lambasted the government over what he called a massive sugar scam that caused losses amounting to Rs 10 bn. In addition to the JVP, the SJB and UNP flayed the government over the corrupt deal. Dissanayake questioned the rationale in increasing the tax on sugar from Rs 33 to Rs 50 on May 23, 2020 and then bringing it down steeply to 25 cents on Oct 13, 2020. Dissanayake said that at that time the tax was brought down to 25 cents, there had been 90,000 metric tonnes of imported sugar in the country. Having reduced the sugar tax to 25 cents, the government directed that a kilo of sugar be sold at Rs 85, MP Dissanayake said.

The JVPer alleged that subsequently, when the government wanted to increase the sugar tax by Rs 40, Commerce Minister Bandula Gunawardena said that once imposed tax couldn’t be altered for a month, hence the decision to continue with 25 cents tax till Nov 13, 2020.

MP Dissanayake on Dec 12, 2020 named all those involved in the sugar scam.

Lawmaker Dissanayake said that the country suffered massive losses due to corrupt sugar deals. Those who suspended imports claiming the country faced severe foreign exchange crisis allowed massive corruption at the expense of the national economy.

Dissanayake said that last year alone at least 73,000 metric tonnes were imported at 25 cents tax.

He pointed out that the Treasury was responsible for facilitating sweet deals at the expense of the national economy. The revenue which should have been received by the government ended up with racketeers, Dissanayake lambasted the government for allowing its cronies to flourish.

Continue Reading

news

JVP expresses solidarity with Black Sunday campaign

Published

on

The JVP-led NPP yesterday expressed solidarity with the Black Sunday campaign seeking justice for the Easter Sunday carnage victims.

A statement issued by the party said that the Presidential Commission of Inquiry into the Easter Sunday carnage had released its report but the general consensus was that the inquiry had failed to bring justice. The PCoI report had only made the matter complex by creating some more puzzles instead of identifying the masterminds of the terror strikes.

The JVP has said Sri Lankans will never forget the Easter Sunday terror attacks of 2019 where nearly 300 perished and more than 500 others were wounded and became disabled for the rest of their lives. It is no secret that it was the failure on the part of the previous government to prevent the attacks that led to the destruction of lives and properties. The appointment of the commissions to investigate the incident was the only response of the former and incumbent governments. It is now clear that the commission has failed to identify the masterminds, owing to political reasons. Demanding justice is a human right. The Catholic Church has called on people to mark the coming Sunday as a day of agitation, demanding justice. We, of the NPP, extend our fullest support for the campaign and urge the law enforcing agencies to take action without further delay to bring about the masterminds and offenders of the crime, the statement has said.

Continue Reading

news

Iranaitivu islanders protest against burying of coronavirus victims there

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

Residents of Iranaitivu Island yesterday forcibly filled up the burial sites prepared for those who had died from COVID-19 and held a demonstration against burying coronavirus victims on the island.

The protesters claimed that the media had reported those who died from COVID-19 would be buried on the island and that some group had already prepared a burial site. However, the residents of the island had not been consulted, they said.

They claimed that even during the war they had fought for the right to live on the island and they were opposed to the decision taken by the government to bury COVID-19 victims on the island.

 The protesters claimed that it was a cunning plan by the government to drive in a wedge between Christians and Muslims in the area. The government should have earmarked a deserted island for that purpose, they said. The protest was led by Christian religious leaders and local politicians. 

Iranaitivu is situated 10 km from Mannar and can only be accessed by boat. Cabinet Spokesman, Minister Keheliya Rambukwelle said that it was not a political decision and that health experts had taken it after careful consideration. He added that a vehicle especially made for this would be used to transport bodies to the island. This vehicle would include a freezer and the driver would be isolated from the bodies. Two family members would also be allowed to attend the funeral.

 

 

Continue Reading

Trending