Connect with us

News

SJB alleges AG, CIABOC not responding to RTI queries

Published

on

‘Colombo Chief Magistrate has exposed double standards’

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) lawmaker Mujibur Rahuman says the Attorney General’s Department hadn’t responded to his query pertaining to the withdrawal of indictments in a number of cases following the last presidential election in Nov. 2019, whereas the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption (CIABOC) side-stepped the query by sending only numbers of the cases.

The former UNPer alleged that both the AG and the CIABOC hadn’t responded positively to his queries submitted to them in terms of the Right to Information (RTI) Act.

MP Rahuman made the appeal on 02 Nov, last year on behalf of the main Opposition party, SJB. A four-member parliamentary delegation consisting of Rahuman, J.C. Alawathuwala, Harshana Rajakaruna and Kavinda Jayawardana handed over the written appeal.

MP Rahuman submitted his application to the CIABOC on Nov 08, 2021.

Since then more cases had been withdrawn by the CIABOC, MP Rahuman pointed out, referring to the withdrawal of the case against Minister Johnston Fernando and 11 other cases. The SJB spokesman pointed out Colombo Chief Magistrate Buddhika C. Ragala on January 21 questioned the CIABOC over double standards in handling cases filed during the previous administration.

Chief Magistrate Ragala raised the issue when the Deputy Director General of the CIABOC informed him of their decision to withdraw 11 cases while continuing with a case filed against former Minister Kumara Welgama as the accused hadn’t requested in writing the case be dismissed.

The Chief Magistrate pointed out that there had been previous instances of the CIABOC withdrawing cases filed in his court in spite of accused not requesting for dismissal of cases.

MP Rahuman said that the government couldn’t turn a blind eye to the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s observation. “We believe the Bar Association should make its position clear on dismissal of dozens of cases,” MR Rahuman said, declaring his intention to raise the issue at hand in Parliament.

The former UNPer pointed out that the indictments that had been filed during the tenure of Jayantha Jayasuriya, PC, in his capacity as AG were withdrawn when he served as the Chief Justice.  Dappula de Livera, PC, succeeded Jayasuriya in late April 2019. Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, succeeded de Livera in May, 2021.

The Bill entitled ‘Right to Information’ was passed with amendments in Parliament during the previous administration.

Responding to another query, MP Rahuman said that the SJB sought (i) the number of indictments withdrawn after the last presidential election (ii) specific cases (iii) case numbers of the indictments and (iv) on what dates have the indictments and/or court proceedings filed by the AG and CIABOC after the last presidential election been withdrawn?

MP Rahuman said that the SJB requested an opportunity to examine relevant work, documents, records and take down notes, extracts or certified copies of documents or records and take certified samples of material.

Although the public knew of the cases withdrawn over the past two years, the SJB would use RTI to compel the AG and the CIABOC to explain the circumstances, he said.

“We would like to know how the AG and CIABOC decided on high profile cases,” MP Rahuman said adding that those institutions couldn’t ignore their concerns.

The SJB spokesman said that the CIABOC owed an explanation as to how the decision to drop all charges against former lawmaker and Foreign Ministry Monitoring MP Sajin Vass Gunawardena pertaining to the Mihin Lanka case was arrived at. That particular case dealt with misappropriation of public funds amounting to Rs 883 mn, the lawmaker said, while referring to the subsequent dismissal of cases involving one-time Eastern Province Chief Minister Sivanesathurai Chandrakanthan alias Pilleyan, Johnston Fernando, Rohitha Abeygunawardena, Basil Rajapaksa, Mahindananda Aluthgamage, Janaka Bandara Tennakoon and former Chief Justice Mohan Peiris. The former CJ now serves as Sri Lanka’s top representative in New York.

Those who propagated the ‘One Country, One Law’ concept as part of SLPP’s overall political strategy should first of all ensure the implementation of existing laws. The government shouldn’t under any circumstance circumvent the law for the benefit of its members, the MP said, pointing out that so many indictments filed against influential persons hadn’t been withdrawn in such a short period ever before.

The SJB MP said that they were in the process of gathering information pertaining to judicial matters though the CIABOC and the AG obviously didn’t want to help. “Once we obtain the official position as regards sensationally dismissed cases, the public can be briefed,” then the genuine Opposition in Parliament, the civil society and the media could pursue the matter, MP Rahuman said.



Latest News

Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi concludes State Visit to Sri Lanka

Published

on

By

Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi departed today (06) from Air Force Base Anuradhapura concluding his State visit to Sri Lanka. The Indian Premier embarked on a tour to Sri Lanka at the  invitation from President Anura Kumara Disanayake.

This visit underscores the enduring relationship encapsulated by the theme “Friendship of Centuries, Commitment to a Prosperous Future,” further solidifying the bonds between India and Sri Lanka.

This marks Prime Minister Modi’s  fourth visit to Sri Lanka, which has further enhanced the economic, cultural, and historical relations between the two nations, while also reinforcing their multifaceted partnership. This visit by the Indian Prime Minister reinforces Sri Lanka’s important role in India’s “Neighbourhood First Policy” and ‘MAHASAGAR’ vision concerning diplomatic relations.

This state visit is anticipated to yield significant results on various collaborative initiatives, fostering a path towards mutual growth and development. The citizens of Sri Lanka will soon be able to witness the fruitful outcomes of these partnerships, and Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi’s visit will mark a significant milestone in the government’s pursuit of sustainable development focused on the needs of the people.

Accompanying Indian Prime Minister Modi were Indian External Affairs Minister Dr. S. Jaishankar, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Foreign Secretary Vikram Misri and a delegation of senior officials from the Indian government.

[PMD]

Continue Reading

Latest News

President Dissanayake and Indian PM Modi jointly commission upgraded Maho-Omanthai railway line & Maho-Anuradhapura railway signalling system

Published

on

By

The upgraded Maho–Omanthai railway line and the newly installed Maho–Anuradhapura railway signalling system were officially commissioned  by Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and President Anura Kumara Disanayake today (06)

The Prime Minister of India is currently visiting Sri Lanka at the invitation of President Anura Kumara Disanayake, reinforcing the longstanding bond encapsulated in the theme “Friendship of Centuries Commitment to a Prosperous Future” between the two nations.

Highlighting one of the key aspects of this visit, the two leaders participated in these inaugural ceremonies. The President and the Prime Minister of India jointly unveiled the commemorative plaque and commissioned  the railway line and signalling system.

The upgraded Maho-Omanthai Railway Line project was carried out with funding through the Indian Credit Line, totalling an investment of US$ 91.27 million.  The Maho–Anuradhapura railway signalling system, established as a result of President Disanayake’s recent visit to India, was funded by the Indian Government at a cost of USD 14.89 million.

[PMD]

 

Continue Reading

Latest News

Prime Minister Modi and President Dissanayake pay homage to the sacred Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi

Published

on

By

Indian Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, currently on a State visit to Sri Lanka, along with President Anura Kumara Disanayake paid homage to the sacred Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi in Anuradhapura this morning (06) and received blessings.

Following his visit to the sacred site, Prime Minister Modi proceeded to the Udamaluwa, where he met with the Chief Incumbent of the Atamasthanadhipathi and Chief Sanghanayake of Nuwarakalaviya, Most Venerable Dr. Pallegama Hemarathana Nayaka Thera, for a cordial discussion.

During the meeting, the Prime Minister shared that relics of the Buddha were discovered in excavations conducted in his home state of Gujarat during the 1960s. He further stated that he would discuss with the President of Sri Lanka the possibility of exhibiting these sacred relics in Sri Lanka.

Responding to a request made by the Atamasthanadhipathi to develop Bodh Gaya as a spiritual city, Prime Minister Modi assured that he would take the necessary steps after discussions with President Disanayake and work towards making it a reality.

The Maha Sangha, led by the Atamasthanadhipathi, chanted Seth Pirith and invoked blessings on the Indian Prime Minister.

The Indian Prime Minister also left a commemorative note in the special guest book at the site. In addition, he formally declared open the newly constructed ‘Makara Thorana’ within the Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi premises.

The occasion was also attended by Chief Incumbent of the Ruwanweli Maha Seya Temple Ven. Ethalawetunawewe Gnanathilaka Thera and other Atamasthana Viharadhipathi Theras, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Employment and Tourism Vijitha Herath, Minister of Trade, Commerce, Food Security and Cooperative Development, Wasantha Samarasinghe, Minister of Health and Mass Media Dr. Nalinda Jayatissa, North Central Province Governor Wasantha Jinadasa, Indian High Commissioner Santosh Jha and others.

[PMD]

Continue Reading

Trending