News
Sajith’s alliance: Rishad still on the fence, Fonseka quits
SJB receives big boost by way of SC unseating Harin and Manusha
By Shamindra Ferdinando
All Ceylon Makkal Congress (ACMC) leader Rishad Bathiudeen, MP, yesterday (09) said that he would consult supporters at district level before announcing their stand on the forthcoming presidential election.
The former Trade and Commerce Minister and Vanni District lawmaker said so when The Island asked him whether the ACMC quit the main Opposition Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB)-led Samagi Jana Sandanaya, formed to back Sajith Premadasa’s candidature at the presidential election.
MP Bathiudeen said that he couldn’t have joined the launch of the new alliance on Thursday (08) at the Sugathadasa International Stadium as he was out of the country and yet to consult the electorate.
The ACMC contested the last parliamentary election held in August 2020 on the SJB ticket. Altogether, the breakaway UNP faction won 54 seats, including seven National List slots.
Responding to another query, the MP indicated that though his party contested the general election on the SJB ticket, that didn’t necessarily mean the ACMC had to support Premadasa’s candidature. The former Minister said that his party would choose either Premadasa, or incumbent President Ranil Wickremesinghe, who is in the presidential fray as an independent candidate.
However, all other political parties namely, the Sri Lanka Muslim Congress (SLMC), Democratic People’s Front (DPF), National Union of Workers (NUW) and Upcountry People’s Front (UPF), that contested the last general election, entered into a fresh electoral pact with the SJB. The Tamil Progressive Front consists of DPF, NUW and UPF. However, ACMC skipped the event held at the Sugathadasa International Stadium.
Reiterating that the ACMC decision would be guided by their supporters’ stand on the presidential polls, MP Bathiudeen said that he would begin consultations in the northern and eastern districts, except Jaffna and Puttalam, over the next few days. “Our decision will be announced next week, probably on August 17,” MP Bathiudeen said.
SLMC leader Rauff Hakeem declared, at the launch of the new alliance, that President Wickremesinghe should be taught a lesson for bribing lawmakers to switch their allegiance ahead of the presidential poll. Referring to the recent ouster of long serving Bangladeshi Premier Sheikh Hasina following a violent public uprising, the former Minister warned President Wickremesinghe that such fate could befall those pursuing dictatorial agendas.
MP Hakeem also slammed President Wickremesinghe over the massive fraud perpetrated through the introduction of a new On Arrival visa scheme. Pointing out that President Wickremesinghe allowed the corrupt deal that was even worse than the Treasury bond scams, perpetrated in 2015 and 2016, MP Hakeem said that they should decide whether to hand over the country to such a leader.
The former Minister said that the 2015 Treasury bond scam was carried out a few months before the general election. Likewise, the Online Visa scam was launched in the run-up to the presidential polls.
In addition to the SLMC and constituents of the TPA entering into the agreement with the SJB, Nidahasa Janatha Sabhawa, consisting of a group of rebel SLPP MPs, joined Sajith Premadasa’s campaign. The group consists of Prof. G.L. Peiris, Dullas Alahapperuma, Dilan Perera, Dr. Nalaka Godahewa, Wasantha Yapa Bandara, Upul Gallappatty, K.P.S. Kumarasiri, Charitha Herath, Lalith Ellawela, Tilak Rajapaksa and Gunapala Ratnasekera.
Sajith Premadasa’s grouping also included the SLFP faction led by Dayasiri Jayasekera, and the civil society grouping Purawasi Handa Bahujana Vyaparaya. Former captain of the national cricket team and ex-Minister Arjuna Ranatunga, too, pledged his support to the SJB leader.
Parliamentarian Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka, who had been engaged in a running battle with his leader Sajith Premadasa, has resigned as Chairman of the party in the wake of him paying Rs 75,000 cash deposit to contest the presidential election as an independent candidate.
The former Minister and Commander of the warwinning Army called his first media briefing at the Waters Edge Hotel to explain the circumstances leading to him coming forward again as an independent. Fonseka lost to Mahinda Rajapaksa by a huge margin at the 2010 presidential poll.
MP Mujibur Rahman said that with the Supreme Court ruling that unseated Ministers Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando for switching allegiance to President Wickremesinghe, at the expense of the party they were elected from, couldn’t have been given at a better time.
The Supreme Court yesterday (09) ruled that the SJB’s decision taken on July 18, 2023, to suspend the party membership of Manusha Nanayakkara and Harin Fernando was lawful.
The SC unseated the Ministers while dismissing a petition filed by them seeking an order that the SJB decision is unlawful.
The decision was announced by the three-member Supreme Court bench consisting of Justices Vijith Malalgoda, Achala Vengappuli and Arjuna Obeysekara.Bandulalal Bandarigoda will succeed Manusha Nanayakkara who entered Parliament from Galle District, whereas Harin Fernando represented the SJB National List.
News
CEAT Kelani Branch Inter-Company Employees’ Union makes donation to the ‘Rebuilding Sri Lanka’ Fund
The Inter-Company Employees’ Union of the Kelaniya Branch of CEAT Sri Lanka has made a financial donation of Rs. 1,148,000.00, a day’s salary of its members to the ‘Rebuilding Sri Lanka’ Fund established to support the restoration of livelihoods and the rebuilding of areas affected by cyclone Ditwah.
Secretary of the Inter-Company Employees’ Union of the CEAT Kelani Branch, D.G.S.D. Navaratne, handed over the donation to the Chief of Staff to the President, Prabhath Chandrakeerthi at the Presidential Secretariat this morning (18).
Treasurer of the Inter-Company Employees’ Union of the CEAT Kelani Branch, Y.P.I.C. Karunathilaka, together with members of the Executive Committee, were also present on the occasion.
(PMD)
Latest News
Prime Minister off to the United Kingdom to participate in the 22nd Annual Commonwealth Education Forum
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya departed on an official visit to the United Kingdom to participate in the 22nd Annual Commonwealth Education Forum and the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) 2026 Board of Governors Meeting.
During the visit, the Prime Minister is scheduled to participate in several high-level academic and diplomatic engagements aimed at strengthening cooperation in the fields of education, development studies, research collaboration, and international partnerships.
As part of the visit, the Prime Minister will meet with Ms.Bridget Phillipson, Secretary of State for Education of the United Kingdom, at the UK Department for Education, to discuss areas of cooperation in education and related sectors. She is also expected to meet Ms.Yvette Cooper, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, for discussions on matters of bilateral interest and cooperation between Sri Lanka and the United Kingdom.
In addition, the Prime Minister is expected to meet Ms.Shirley Ayorkor Botchwey, Secretary-General of the Commonwealth, on the sidelines of the 22nd Annual Commonwealth Education Forum and the Commonwealth of Learning (COL) 2026 Board of Governors Meeting.
During the visit, the Prime Minister will attend a public event at the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex and she will also take part in the ceremony marking the 60th Anniversary of the Institute of Development Studies. The Prime Minister is also scheduled to address a session at the Oxford School of Global and Area Studies at the University of Oxford, followed by a question-and-answer session with scholars and students.
The visit is expected to strengthen Sri Lanka’s engagement with academic institutions, international development partners, and Commonwealth member states, particularly in the areas of education, research, policy dialogue, and capacity building.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
Latest News
Steps initiated to safeguard Sri Lanka’s Maritime Heritage
Taking a decisive step towards safeguarding Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage, a high-level discussion was held today (18) at the Ministry of Environment.
Jointly chaired by the Deputy Minister of Environment Anton Jayakody and Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekara, the meeting focused on the urgent need to prevent environmental pollution and protect the coastal waters around the northern seas and their adjacent islands.
The discussion was attended by senior naval officers, Secretary to the Ministry of Environment K.R. Uduwawala, Chairman of the Marine Environment Protection Authority (MEPA) Samantha Gunasekara, Director General of the Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management Department Prof. Turny Pradeep Kumara, and Conservator General of Forests along with several other officials from the Department of Wildlife Conservation and the Ministry of Environment, and the senior ecologists from IUCN.
The discussion placed a strong emphasis on enhancing environmental threats and accelerating the declaration of new Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the northern region. Officials emphasized that protecting this marine zone is crucial for conserving biodiversity, securing the livelihoods of local fishing communities, and enhancing Sri Lanka’s strategic maritime profile on the global stage.
Primary attention was drawn to the severe ecological destruction caused by Illegal, Unreported, and Unregulated (IUU) fishing. The Ministers highlighted the grave threats these unlawful activities pose to both marine biodiversity and the economic stability of local fishermen, stressing the immediate need for comprehensive surveillance and stricter enforcement mechanisms. Furthermore, extensive discussions took place on how to divest a strategic destructive fishing practices—such as dynamite fishing, unauthorized spearfishing, and the use of banned fishing gear—which inflict irreversible damage on fragile coral reef systems and endangered fish species.
The meeting also addressed infrastructure and governance gaps within fishing harbors, identifying the lack of proper management and formal regulatory mechanisms as key vulnerabilities. As a progressive step forward, suitable islands and surrounding marine zones in the Northern Province have been identified for official declaration as Marine Protected Areas. It was clarified that establishing these MPAs will not restrict the livelihoods of local communities; instead, they are designed to protect and promote sustainable fishing and eco-tourism. Moving forward, these protected zones will be developed into premier eco-tourism destinations, creating new economic opportunities for the region. Ultimately, declaring these Marine Protected Areas will bring international recognition and strategic importance to Sri Lanka’s northern islands. By establishing these zones, Sri Lanka aligns itself strongly with global biodiversity commitments, showcasing its role on the international stage as a responsible custodian of the Indian Ocean’s rich marine resources.
During this discussion, it was proposed to establish a working group comprising experts from the Ministry of Tourism, the Ministry of Fisheries, the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Environment, and the Ministry of Justice to implement a joint mechanism for protecting the country’s coastal and marine resources, with the Ministry of Environment taking the lead in this initiative.
This conservation initiative marks yet another milestone in the country’s ongoing journey toward achieving a sustainable biosphere and an evergreen future.
-
News6 days agoEx-SriLankan CEO’s death: Controversy surrounds execution of bail bond
-
Features2 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
Features7 days agoHigh Stakes in Pursuing corruption cases
-
Features7 days agoWhen University systems fail:Supreme Court’s landmark intervention in sexual harassment case
-
News3 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA victory that can never be forgotten
-
News2 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
Features4 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
