News
Response to Canadian genocide charge: Daya Gamage finds fault with FM
Former US State Department employee Daya Gamage yesterday found fault with our Foreign Ministry for what he called the government’s pathetic response to unsubstantiated Canadian charge of genocide against Sri Lanka.
Gamage asked whether the Foreign Ministry has conveniently forgotten that genocide was the LTTE’s policy platform when it mercilessly removed the Sinhalese and Muslims from the North?
Gamage was commenting on the following statement: “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs unreservedly rejects the reference to a Tamil Genocide Remembrance Day in the statement issued on 23 July 2023 by the Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Canada’s continued reference to a false, distorted narrative of the past conflict in Sri Lanka is aimed solely at achieving local vote-bank electoral gains, and is not conducive to broader goals of communal harmony.
Sri Lanka urges Canada and its leaders to support Sri Lanka in its efforts to ensure stability, progress, peace and reconciliation among all communities in all parts of Sri Lanka, as well as among communities of Sri Lankan heritage overseas.
Gamage said: “Isn’t the FM aware that when the War was concluded in May 2009, there were 44% Tamils living among the Sinhalese away from the N-E? If the GSL or the Sinhalese used Genocide as a weapon, will there be over 50% Tamils living among the Sinhalese in the South away from the North/East with gainful employment and enjoying other social facilities? Since the July 1983 anti-Tamil pogrom – carried out by those associated with the JRJ regime who happened to be Sinhalese – there was not a single incident of anti-Tamil violence against the Tamils.
Why is the SL Ministry of Foreign Affairs reluctant to present these facts – and many more – to the Canadian Government to blast its ‘Genocide Propaganda’?
This is very pathetic that Sri Lanka is unable to collect its thoughts to educate the International Community.
These strong facts have never been used by successive governments here, and even to reply to the Canadian Genocide ‘proclamation’.
News
CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail
Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.
The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.
The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”
Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.
At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.
The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.
However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.
A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.
The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.
Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.
By Ifham Nizam
News
PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.
According to the disclosure:
An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.
Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.
Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.
Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.
MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.
Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.
For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.
News
CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests
Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.
These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.
Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.
Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.
The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”
The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.
By AJA Abeynayake
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Sports1 day agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
