Connect with us

Latest News

Myanmar ex-leader Aung San Suu Kyi moved to house arrest, military says

Published

on

State TV broadcast a picture of the Nobel laureate in confinement [BBC]

The detained former Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi has been moved to house arrest, the country’s state media has reported.

The 80-year-old Nobel laureate has been held in detention – probably in a military prison in the capital Nay Pyi Taw – since she was removed from office in a military coup in 2021.

A statement by military leader Min Aung Hlaing, who led the coup, said he had “commuted her remaining sentence to be served at the designated residence”.

Aung San Suu Kyi came to power in 2015 after Myanmar’s then rulers introduced democratic reforms. Before that, she spent decades of military rule as a pro-democracy activist, and was previously held for more than 15 years under house arrest.

State media broadcast a picture of her sitting with two uniformed personnel.

Her son Kim Aris said he was sceptical about the announcement and that he did not even have proof that she was alive. He said the picture was “meaningless” as it was taken in 2022.

“I hope this is true. I still haven’t seen any real evidence to show that she has been moved,” he told the BBC.

“So, until I’m allowed communication with her, or somebody can independently verify her condition and her whereabouts, then I won’t believe anything.”

Prior to the announcement, nothing was known about her health or living conditions, and Kim Aris said in December he had not heard from her in years.

Her legal team told Reuters they had had no direct notification about her house arrest.

Little has been seen – and nothing heard – from Aung San Suu Kyi since she was arrested on the day the armed forces ousted her elected government more than five years ago.

Her lawyers have not seen her for more than three years; her family has had no contact with her for more than two.

The only image of her seen before Thursday was at a court appearance in May 2021, at the start of a series of trials by the military on charges which have been widely dismissed as fabricated.

Since then, her 33-year sentence has been reduced several times.

Her sudden appearance in state media suggests the military authorities may be preparing for further changes in her status – possibly her partial or complete release.

The coup leader Min Aung Hlaing is eager to end his regime’s international isolation, and appears more confident after a string of battlefield wins against armed opposition groups.

The military junta also held an election earlier this year restoring a notionally democratic government, but which leaves the same military leaders in charge.

“The military regime that rules Myanmar is very much on a [public relations] offensive at the moment,” Sean Turnell, the former economic adviser to Aung San Suu Kyi, told the BBC’s Newsday programme.

He added that Myanmar’s military was “trying to convince the world that it’s a legitimate government”, and the reports of Aung San Suu Kyi’s relocation to house arrest were “part and parcel of that”.

While Turnell said he was “really hopeful” the reports were true, he has “got a lot of doubts”.

Turnell, an Australian economist, was detained alongside Myanmar’s democratically elected leaders for more than a year after the 2021 military coup.

During that time, he was kept in the same prison as Aung San Suu Kyi, where conditions were “medieval” and “just really really awful”, Turnell recalled, adding that the food and medical care were “bad” and the cells were “open to the elements”.

With Aung San Suu Kyi now 80 years old, those are “terrible conditions for her”, Turnell said.

During her earlier confinement, Aung San Suu Kyi’s dignified, non-violent resistance won her admirers across Myanmar and around the world, and she famously made speeches to supporters from her family home. She won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991.

But her decision to lead Myanmar’s defence against charges of genocide at the International Court of Justice over the military’s atrocities against Muslim Rohingyas in 2017 badly tarnished her saint-like international image.

Despite her years of incarceration away from the public eye, Aung San Suu Kyi’s standing among the Burmese people remains “extremely high”, according to Turnell.

“She has a charisma and connection with the Burmese people that is almost spiritual. And I don’t think that’s been diminished at all,” he said, adding that people in the country are “just hoping that she’ll be released”.

[BBC]



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Gaby Lewis to lead Ireland at T20 World Cup

Published

on

By

Gaby Lewis is Ireland's best batter and key to their chances at the T20 World Cup [Cricinfo]

Gaby Lewis has been rested for Ireland’s upcoming T20I tri-series against Pakistan and West Indies at home in Clontarf as she recovers from a recent leg injury but has been named captain – for the first time at a global event – for the T20 World Cup in June-July in England.

Orla Prendergast, the vice-captain for the World Cup, will lead the side in the tri-series in Lewis’ absence. No vice-captain has been named for the tri-series.

In terms of ins and outs, Jane Maguire, the right-arm medium pacer, has been ruled out of contention with an injury, but her sister Aimee Maguire, the left-arm orthodox spinner, has returned from her own injury and has been included in both squads. Apart from the missing Lewis, there are no changes from the squad for the tri-series, which is a 14-member line-up, for the World Cup.

At the T20 World Cup, Ireland have been grouped with tournament hosts England, defending champions New Zealand, Scotland, Sri Lanka and past winners West Indies.

Ireland are ranked ninth in the format, ahead of only Scotland (11th) among the teams in their group, and will start their World Cup campaign on the second day of competition, against Scotland in Manchester.

Ireland were most recently in action at the T20 World Cup qualifiers played in Nepal in January-February this year, and finished second to Bangladesh.

Lewis’ fitness will be key for Ireland at the World Cup, with her being their top-ranked batter, currently at joint-14th on the ICC T20I rankings. She was also the top run getter at the qualifiers with 276 runs in seven innings, scoring her runs at a strike rate of 119.48.

Prendergast is the next best at No. 26, followed by Amy Hunter at No. 29. Prendergast is also the seventh-ranked allrounder in women’s T20Is.

Ireland squad for women’s T20 World Cup

Gaby Lewis (capt), Orla Prendergast (vice-capt), Ava Canning, Christina Coulter Reilly, Alana Dalzell, Laura Delany, Georgina Dempsey, Amy Hunter, Arlene Kelly, Louise Little, Aimee Maguire, Lara McBride, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Rebecca Stokell

Ireland squad for tri-series against Pakistan and West Indies

Orla Prendergast (capt), Ava Canning, Christina Coulter Reilly, Alana Dalzell, Laura Delany, Georgina Dempsey, Amy Hunter, Arlene Kelly, Louise Little, Aimee Maguire, Lara McBride, Cara Murray, Leah Paul, Rebecca Stokell

[Cricinfo]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Kapila Wijegunawardena to head SLC’s new selection committee

Published

on

By

The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports  has issued a statement approving  the members nominated for the new Selection Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).

The appointments have been made by the Sports Minister  in accordance with the powers vested under Section 39 (1) of the Sports Law No. 25 of 1973 and the Extraordinary Gazette Notification No. 2437/24 dated May 21, 2025.

The members of the new selection committee are:

Kapila Wijegunawardena – Chairman

Amal Silva – Member

Brendon Kuruppu – Member

Waruna Waragoda – Member

Vanessa De Silva – Member

Continue Reading

Latest News

Afghanistan refugee women’s team set for England tour under ECB initiative

Published

on

By

The visiting Afghanistan women's team will also attend the final of the Women's T20 World Cup
The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) will host an Afghanistan Refugee Women’s Team for a tour beginning on June 22. The programme will include T20 matches and high-performance training opportunities and will be delivered in partnership with the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) and the MCC Foundation. The visiting players will also attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026 at Lord’s, scheduled to be held on July 5.

The tour is significant because the visiting squad comprises former Afghanistan women cricketers who had to leave the country following the Taliban’s return to power in August 2021, after which women were effectively excluded from sport and public life. Many of the players eventually resettled in Australia, where they have continued to pursue cricket. An Afghanistan women’s team played against a ‘Cricket Without Borders XI’ at the Junction Oval in January 2025 ahead of the Women’s Ashes Test at the MCG, a game that was streamed by Cricket Australia.

The ECB said the tour aimed not only to provide competitive opportunities but also to reaffirm cricket’s commitment to inclusivity. “Since being displaced from Afghanistan in 2021, these players have shown extraordinary resilience in continuing their cricket journeys, in incredibly challenging circumstances,” Clare Connor, ECB Deputy CEO and Managing Director of England Women, said.

“We have worked with It’s Game On to build an itinerary and a set of experiences that we hope will be enjoyable and memorable. We are also delighted that the squad will attend the final of the ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2026.

“Cricket has a responsibility to stand for inclusion and opportunity, and we are proud to be hosting this tour and supporting the players in deepening their connection to the game.”

The relocation and continued support of the players has been facilitated in part by It’s Game On, a global sports consultancy co-founded by former Australia cricketer Mel Jones and Emma Staples, along with Dr Catherine Orway. Jones, in particular, played a pivotal role in helping the players relocate to Australia. Her organisation has worked with international sporting bodies on initiatives centred around equity and opportunities for displaced female athletes.

“This tour is a major step forward, but also highlights how much work remains,” Jones said.

“These players have shown extraordinary courage and commitment to the game, despite everything that has been taken from them. They deserve more opportunities like this; they deserve to be recognised as part of the global cricket community. Moments like this matter, but we need to see plans for sustained and meaningful action beyond this year.”

Continue Reading

Trending