Connect with us

News

MONLAR: SL has lost million hectares of forest cover since 1960

Published

on

Sajeewa Chamikara

Tea plantations biggest culprit

BY Rathindra Kuruwita

Sri Lanka has lost about 947,370 hectares of forest between 1960 and 2010, Sajeewa Chamikara of the Movement for Land and Agricultural Reform (MONLAR) says.

The last survey on forests was carried out in 2010 by the Forest Conservation Department. By 2010 the forest cover had shrunk to 29.7 percent or 1, 951, 472 hectares.

Between 1992 and 2010, Sri Lanka lost 16, 922 hectares of forests in the wet-zone. Since then, the forests in the wet-zone had further dwindled due to the expansion of tea cultivation, Chamikara said yesterday.

“Tea plantations that lead to the destruction of rainforests can be considered green deserts. Biodiversity on these plantations is low. Tea planters use a lot of toxic agrochemicals. There are no plant layers. Thus, these lands lose most of their biodiversity and become deserts for all practical purposes, despite being green,” he said.

Chamikara said the British had cleared up vast extents of forest lands on mountains and rid those areas of elephants. By 1860, Sri Lanka was among the top producers of coffee. By 1870, coffee plantations covered 275,000 acres. However, soon afterwards, coffee plantations were devastated by a fungal disease, Hemileia vastatrix, also known as coffee leaf rust.

Chamikara said that while tea used to be a major foreign exchange earner, the situation had changed. The yield of most large-scale tea estates was dwindling rapidly due to soil degradation and unsustainable cultivation practices.

“We have several institutions that have been established to develop tea. However, they believe we are still living in the late 19th century, when we had plenty of virgin land, cheap labour and there was no stiff competition,” Chamikara said.

Meanwhile, Ramesh Pathirana, Minister of Plantation Industries and Minister of Industries, said that there had been reports of illegal expansion of tea plantations into forests. However, it was not the policy of his Ministry to encourage such practices and the Forest Department must take immediate action against those who carried out such illegal activities.

Minister Pathirana added that the industry also needed to be more sustainable and tea smallholders were already interested in multi-cropping and that the Ministry had spoken to all stakeholders about improving sustainability.

“Now, we can’t push businesses to shift to agroforestry or multi-cropping. But environmentalists and environmental-minded planters can work together, create better systems and then everyone will follow,” he said.



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya meets Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Dr Harini Amarasuriya currently undertaking an official visit to London, United Kingdom, to participate in the 43rd Commonwealth of Learning (COL) Board of Governors Meeting 2026  held a bilateral meeting with the Yvette Cooper MP, Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom ON Wednesday [20]. The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s High Commissioner to the United Kingdom, Nimal Senadheera, along with officials from the Sri Lankan High Commission.

During the meeting, the Prime Minister conveyed Sri Lanka’s appreciation to the United Kingdom for the support extended in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwa, including ongoing rebuilding and recovery assistance. The Prime Minister also commended the United Kingdom’s support in facilitating increased bilateral trade and exports for Sri Lanka.

The Prime Minister briefed the UK delegation on Sri Lanka’s recent economic developments and policy priorities, the Government’s commitment to advancing human rights and reconciliation, as well as Sri Lanka’s positive growth trajectory.

The two sides also exchanged views on current global geopolitical developments, challenges in the energy sector, and the importance of enhancing regional connectivity and long-term energy security.

Both sides also emphasised the importance of strengthening structured academic mobility frameworks while ensuring fairness, clarity, and integrity within migration systems.

They also reaffirmed their commitment to further strengthening bilateral cooperation between the two countries in areas of mutual interest.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]

Continue Reading

News

Suspects involved in sureties controversy granted bail

Published

on

Kapila Chandrasena

Airbus bribe case:

Colombo Additional Magistrate Lahiru Silva yesterday (20) granted bail to Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan, who allegedly received money to stand as sureties for the late former SriLankan Airlines CEO, Kapila Chandrasena. They were identified as residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, situated next to the Hulftsdorp court complex.

Chandrasena was found dead at his brother-in-law, Aravinda De Silva’s residence, at No. 38, Pedris Road, Kollupitiya, on 8 May.

The Magistrate also granted bail to B. A. Tissa and Perumal Ganesh, who arranged for Riswan and Irshan to stand as sureties for Chandrasena, who is under investigation for allegedly receiving a USD 2 million bribe through his wife to facilitate an Airbus deal. They, too, residents of Sanchi Arachchi Watta, were granted bail on two personal bail of Rs. 500,000 each.

Airbus had to pay USD 4 billion in penalties after admitting it had paid huge bribes to secure contracts in 20 countries. Sri Lanka is among them.

The Magistrate directed that the Grama Niladhari should certify their residence and the relevant certificates submitted to court and to establish the financial status of those who stood as sureties for the four persons.

The court was told that Mohamed Riswan and Mohamed Irshan obtained 17 Grama Niladhari certificates from January till May 2026. On the basis of a statement recorded from Keselwatta Grama Niladhari S. Nilantha Silva police informed court that the first suspect had obtained 10 certificates and the second person seven.

Fourth suspect Ganesh had first met those who stood as sureties, on 05 May, in the court premises and struck the deal. Crime OIC of Keselwatta Police, Sub Inspector K.W.D. Anuruddha, told court that Mohamed Riswan, Mohamed Irshan and B. A. Tissa hadn’t even known who Chandrasena was and were not related to him in anyway, according to investigations. Police requested that the four persons be further remanded.

The Magistrate granted them bail and set the next hearing for 25 June.

Legal sources said that such illegal practices were rampant, and in this particular case the Court Registrar should have been able to see that the sureties were very much unlikely to be relatives of Chandrasena.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

News

Steps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage

Published

on

The government has initiated a major conservation drive to protect its fragile northern marine ecosystems, with top government officials pledging stronger action against environmental degradation, destructive fishing practices, and Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing in the country’s northern seas and adjacent islands.

A high-level discussion chaired jointly by Deputy Minister of Environment Anton Jayakody and Deputy Minister of Defence Aruna Jayasekara was held on Tuesday (19) at the Ministry of Environment to formulate an integrated strategy aimed at safeguarding Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage and accelerating marine conservation initiatives.

Senior naval officers, top environment officials, conservation experts, and representatives from several state agencies attended the meeting, which focused heavily on the declaration of new Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) in the Northern Province.

Among those present were Secretary to the Ministry of Environment K.R. Uduwawala, Chairman of the Marine Environment Protection Authority Samantha Gunasekara, Director General of the Coast Conservation and Coastal Resource Management Department Prof. Turny Pradeep Kumara, Conservator General of Forests Palamakumbura, officials of the Department of Wildlife Conservation, and senior ecologists from International Union for Conservation of Nature.

Officials stressed that the protection of Sri Lanka’s northern marine zone was essential not only for biodiversity conservation but also for sustaining the livelihoods of fishing communities and strengthening the country’s maritime standing internationally.

A major concern raised during the meeting was the increasing ecological destruction caused by IUU fishing activities. Ministers warned that such unlawful practices posed a severe threat to marine biodiversity and the economic stability of local fishermen.

The discussion also focused on intensifying surveillance operations and strengthening law enforcement mechanisms to combat destructive fishing methods, including dynamite fishing, unauthorized spearfishing, and the use of banned fishing gear that continue to devastate coral reef ecosystems and endangered marine species.

Attention was also drawn to governance and infrastructure shortcomings within fishing harbours, with officials identifying the lack of proper management systems and formal regulatory mechanisms as major vulnerabilities contributing to environmental degradation.

As part of the proposed conservation strategy, several islands and surrounding marine zones in the Northern Province have now been identified for official declaration as Marine Protected Areas.

Authorities clarified that the establishment of MPAs would not undermine the livelihoods of local communities but instead promote sustainable fishing practices while opening new opportunities for eco-tourism development.

Officials said these protected marine zones could eventually be developed into internationally recognised eco-tourism destinations, generating fresh economic opportunities for the Northern Province while enhancing Sri Lanka’s environmental credentials globally.

The meeting further highlighted that the declaration of new MPAs would reinforce Sri Lanka’s commitment to international biodiversity conservation obligations and demonstrate the country’s role as a responsible custodian of the Indian Ocean’s marine resources.

A proposal was also made to establish a multi-sectoral working group comprising representatives from the Ministries of Tourism, Fisheries, Defence, Environment, and Justice to implement a coordinated mechanism for the protection of coastal and marine resources under the leadership of the Ministry of Environment.

Officials described the initiative as another significant milestone in Sri Lanka’s broader journey towards building a sustainable biosphere and ensuring long-term environmental security for future generations.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

Trending