Connect with us

News

Lokuge accused of overriding Covid-19 counter measures

Published

on

Piliyandala removed from isolation list: DGHS helpless

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Director General of Health Services (DGHS) Asela Gunawardena, who is the state authority for the national campaign against the rampaging Covid-19 pandemic, has acknowledged that his directive that Piliyandala police area be isolated on May Day was overridden.

Appearing on Hiru TV ‘Salakuna’ programme on Monday (3) night, Dr. Gunawardena admitted that the very basis of the mechanism in place to isolate areas threatened by the Covid-19 epidemic had been violated.

Dr. Gunawardena said so in response to ‘Salakuna’ anchor Chamuditha Samarawickrema repeatedly pressing the DGHS over the removal of the isolation directive issued effective at 6 am on May Day following Transport Minister Gamini Lokuge’s intervention. Samarawickrema sought an explanation as regards the removal of the directive at 5 pm and the subsequent isolation of five Grama Niladhari areas in the Piliyandala police area.

Samarawickrema pointed out to DGHS that politicians had been allowed to behave in a manner inimical to the entire national effort to counter the pandemic whereas the public and in some instances even the media were repeatedly criticized for not cooperating with government efforts.

Dr. Gunawardena recently issued a dire warning over the absence of sufficient hospital facilities in case the situation further deteriorated rapidly. The number of deaths reported till Monday stood at 709 with the country recording well over 1,000 new cases every day for about a week.

Responding to Samarawickrema, Dr. Gunawardena explained the mechanism in place to control the pandemic. According to the DGHS, the Medical Officer Health (MoH) responsible for a particular area brought the situation to the notice of the Provincial Authority who in turn alerted him. Once the DGHS decided to act on recommendation made by MoH and Provincial Authority, the Commander of the Army who is also the head of the Covid-19 Task Force General Shavendra Silva was informed, the DGHS explained.

Samarawickrema asked the DGHS how isolation of Piliyandala had been removed if such measures were taken in terms of scientific foundation as he mentioned.

In the wake of Samarawickrema challenging the DGHS to act on Minister Lokuge’s intervention, the latter promised to look into the matter.

Samarawickrema told The Island that he raised the issue at hand particularly against the backdrop of the government banning May Day rallies as part of the overall measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

Samarawickrema said that Minister Lokuge had told the media, including Hiru that some persons on his staff, too, were tested positive. In spite of that the Minister accompanied by a group of people were on the move in the Piliyandala area, Samarawickrema said.

Responding to another query, Dr Gunawardena  said that he announced the isolation of Piliyandala on Hiru at 6.25 am on May Day. Then several hours later, another statement was received regarding the removal of the isolation directive, Samarawickrema said.

The Island didn’t receive a response to sms sent to Minister Lokuge and Dr. Gunawardena seeking clarification regarding the issue at hand.

Minister Lokuge was shown on Hiru main news bulletin Monday night assuring the Piliyandala electorate as the people’s representative he had a right to look into their grievances.



News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending