Sports
Jaffna stumble in last hurdle but top group
Jaffna Kings have been the most organized franchise in the LPL and they have been brilliant in the group stage. The defending champions won six of their eight games while losing two and on both those occasions it was Galle Gladiators who found a chink in Jaffna Kings’ armour. Friday’s first game saw Jaffna stumbling chasing a modest target of 130 with spin proving to be their Achilles’ heel.
Left-arm duo of Samit Patel and Noor Ahmad had Jaffna Kings in a spin as they shared four wickets between them polishing the top order. More importantly, the pair’s eight overs cost Galle Gladiators only 27 runs.
Galle Gladiators never found momentum in their innings with just three batsmen getting into double figures. Chasing 130, the Jaffna Kings were shot out for 109 runs inside 19 overs.
Incidentally, the two teams will meet in the playoffs. They will play the Qualifier 1 on Sunday at Hambantota with the winner going through to the final and the loser meeting the team that wins the Eliminator, also on Sunday at Hambantota.
In the low scoring thriller on Friday, the highest individual score was 23 and that gave an indication as to how much the ball dominated the bat.
Left-arm orthodox spinner Praveen Jayawickrama and right-arm leg-spinner Vijayakanth Viyaskanth did the job for Jaffna Kings claiming two wickets apiece.
A similar combination ensured Jaffna Kings downfall during the run chase. Nottingham’s Samit Patel is an experienced campaigner and he has had a good LPL and proved to be a match winner again. Left-arm wrist spinner Noor Ahmed from Afghanistan whose official age is 16 was quite a handful putting the pressure after Patel had done the early damage.
Ahmad accounted for the big wickets of Shoaib Malik and Thisara Perera.
The knockout clash should be an interesting one. Jaffna Kings are a formidable outfit but they have been caught off guard twice now by Galle Gladiators and the former champions will be under pressure going into the qualifier.
Brief Scores:
Galle Gladiators 129 for eight
(20)
(Danushka Gunathilaka 19, Bhanuka Rajapaksa 23, Praveen Jayawickrama 2/13, Vijaykanth Viyaskanth 2/21)
Jaffna Kings 109 all out
(18.3)
(Rahmanullah Gurbaz 21, Shoaib Malik 23, Samit Patel 2/15, Noor Ahmad 2/12)
Latest News
Kapila Wijegunawardena to head SLC’s new selection committee
The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports has issued a statement approving the members nominated for the new Selection Committee of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC).
The appointments have been made by the Sports Minister in accordance with the powers vested under Section 39 (1) of the Sports Law No. 25 of 1973 and the Extraordinary Gazette Notification No. 2437/24 dated May 21, 2025.
The members of the new selection committee are:
Kapila Wijegunawardena – Chairman
Amal Silva – Member
Brendon Kuruppu – Member
Waruna Waragoda – Member
Vanessa De Silva – Member

Latest News
Afghanistan refugee women’s team set for England tour under ECB initiative
Latest News
DR Congo cancels World Cup training camp over Ebola outbreak
The Democratic Republic of Congo has cancelled its pre-World Cup training camp in the capital, Kinshasa, because of an Ebola outbreak in the east of the country.
Preparations have been moved to Belgium amid the upsurge, which is thought to have killed more than 130 people.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has called the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern”, but said it was not at pandemic level.
Jerry Kalemo, a spokesperson for the national football team, told international media that pre-tournament games in Europe would go ahead as planned, as the squad gears up for their first World Cup since 1974.
DR Congo are due to play friendly matches against Denmark, on 3 June in Belgium, and Chile, on 9 June in Spain, ahead of the World Cup finals.
A spokesperson for the DR Congo team told the Reuters news agency that the squad’s training camp had been cancelled due to travel restrictions imposed by the US, who are hosting the World Cup this summer, along with Mexico and Canada.
The US’ public health agency has banned entry from non-Americans who have been in the DR Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days, in response to the Ebola outbreak
All DR Congo’s players, as well as the team’s French coach, Sébastien Desabre, are based outside the central African country and will therefore not be affected by the restrictions now the training camp has been cancelled.
The high-profile event in Kinshasa was supposed to have been attended by fans, along with DR Congo’s President Felix Tshisekedi, according to Reuters.
Kinshasa is roughly 1,800 km (1,120m) away from the eastern Ituri province, the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak. There have not yet been any reported cases in the city.
On Wednesday, the WHO said 139 people were thought to have died, out of 600 suspected cases. However, on the same day, Congolese health minister Samuel Roger Kamba told state broadcaster RTNC TV that authorities had registered 159 deaths.
(BBC Sports)
-
Features5 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News6 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News5 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News5 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features2 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business5 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
Features7 days agoMysterious Death of United Nations Secretary General Hammarskjöld
-
News5 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
