Connect with us

news

Islamic fundamentalist threatens ex-Muslim within PCoI premises

Published

on

Rishvin Ismeth, known as an ex-Muslim in Sri Lanka among the general public, has been threatened by an ally of the former leader of Sri Lanka Jamaat Islami, Rasheed Hajjul Akbar on 26th October around 11.45 pm at the premises of Presidential Commission of Inquiry investigating Easter Sunday Suicide Attacks, Council of Ex-Muslims of Sri Lanka (CEMSL) yesterday said in a press release.

CEMSL said that Rishvin Ismeth was the present spokesperson for the Council of Ex-Muslims of Sri Lanka and the only public face of the organisation for those who had left Islam to become areligious. Ismeth was present at the Presidential Commission of Inquiry to cross-examine the former leader of Sri Lanka Jamaat Islami, with the permission of the Commission.

“His questions to Rashid Hajjul Akbar mainly focused on the plan of capturing Sri Lanka through an armed struggle to establish an Islamic State, publishing Jihadist and extremist materials in Alhasanath, the official monthly magazine of Sri Lanka Jamaat Islami and sending Sri Lankan Muslim youth for Jihadist fighting and training to Afghanistan, Pakistan and Kashmir.

The incident happened on his return at the end of the day’s session. The following day, Rishvin Ismeth reported it to the Commission. The Chairman of the Commission, Court of Appeal Judge, Justice Janak de Silva issued an order to National Authority for the Protection of Victims of Crimes and Witnesses to take the necessary steps,” the press release said.

CEMSL said that a teacher named Mahroof from Kekirawa had threatened via social media on 31 Oct. to harm Rishvin Ismeth’s mother. The organization added that Ismeth was one of the few who had alerted the law enforcement to suspected Islamic terrorist activities, months before the Aliyar Junction incident at Kattankudy on 10th March, 2017.

The media statement said: “His first complaint was made in July 2016. Before the Parliamentary Select Committee, he was able to expose the Islamist extremist materials in Sri Lankan school textbooks issued free of charge by the government to schoolchildren. One of these books mentions that the punishment for those who leave Islam or accept other religions is “KILLING” and the same book has been used to educate Muslims students about cruel Stone Age punishments such as amputation, flogging and stoning to death. Even though Sri Lanka is not an Islamic country, it is very difficult for an ex-Muslim to live as an ex-Muslim openly, so all other ex-Muslims in the country are forced to stay in the closet.”

CEMSL said that Rishvin Ismeth had been under continuous threats and harassment by Islamists and extremist elements for years, and, therefore, the recent threat at the premises of the Commission probing terrorist attack in could not be taken lightly. “The threat the Commission premises shows the strength of the Islamist network in this country. The Council of Ex-Muslims of Sri Lanka requests the government to take strict action against Islamist extremism to prevent catastrophe.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Sajith blames ‘Viyathmaga doc’

Published

on

Cause of Mahara Prison riot:

By Saman Indrajith

The recent Mahara Prison riot erupted as 120 inmates afflicted with COVID-19 had been taken there from the Welikada prison at the behest of a Director in charge of prisoners’ health, who was a Viyathmaga member, Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa told Parliament yesterday.

“Many explanations have been given by ministers about the riot at Mahara Prison. The number of deaths is not yet known and around 120 are wounded. One minister said that there was an invisible hand behind the clashes. Another said the motive was to bring the government into disrepute internationally. A theory was concocted that prisoners had taken some narcotic tablets called Reverse and they and fought because they wanted to see blood. But the truth is otherwise. The real cause is that 120 inmates infected with coronavirus were transferred to Mahara from the Welikada prison at the behest of a director in charge of prisoners’ health. That director is a member of the Viyathmaga. Those who were transferred to Mahara prison caused a cluster of 183 persons. As the infection spread fast there was unrest and tension. That was the reason for Mahara riots.”

He said that ministers had their own theories, but one day the truth would surface. “I hope that the ministerial committee appointed to probe the riots will conduct an impartial investigation and they will reveal the truth.”

“Prisoners have rights. I do not wish that this country would permit the perpetuation of the killing culture and state terrorism. The government members should keep in mind that there is a concept called rule of law and we all are expected to uphold it. So, we should dump those theories of Reverse tablets and strive to find the truth.”

Public Security Minister Rear Admiral Sarath Weerasekera: The health officer in charge of Mahara Prison is not a member of Viyathmaga.

Opposition Leader Premadasa: I did not say so. What I said was that 120 inmates were transferred from Welikada prison to the Mahara prison violating COVID-19 protocols. That order to transfer those had been given by a doctor who is a member of Viyathmaga. I do not mention his name. You can easily find it.

Chief Government Whip Highways Minister Johnston Fernando said that the Opposition leader talked of lofty ideals of prisoners’ welfare but the yahapalana government had failed to construct at least a single prison to ease the congestion in the prisons. “When I was incarcerated by your government, I was in a cell with 51 other inmates. There was no place to sleep. In the Kegalle prison, they put 225 in a hall enough for 50 inmates. The former government pre-occupied with the task of constructing new courts to imprison its political enemies but did not build a single prison for the benefit of inmates.”

Opposition Leader Premadasa: We did not want to build prisons, we built schools. Mahatma Gandhi has once said that when you open a single school, thousand prisons could be closed. We followed that.

Continue Reading

news

‘It will take four years to ensure quality of drinking water from small projects’

Published

on

By Saman Indrajith

The safety of drinking water from small scale community drinking water projects could guaranteed only after the implementation of a project to check the quality of water and that would take four years, Water Supply Minister Vasudeva Nanayakkara told Parliament yesterday.

The Minister said so, when Matara District SJB MP Buddhika Pathirana pointed out that although the safety of drinking water from the National Water Supply and Drainage Board was guaranteed the same could not be said of water from small scale projects.

“There are many harmful elements in water such as lead, cadmium and mercury. We know that Water Board supplied water is purified, but water from small scale project could be contaminated with them. It is said that mercury in a CFL bulb has the potential to pollute around 6,000 litres of ground water and causing kidney diseases. This is a dangerous situation. One trillion rupees have been allocated for the Water Supply ministry. Apart from the COVID-19 threat, the biggest threat to the lives of people in this country is from non-communicable diseases. Can the ministry introduce a mechanism to provide each district with at least a single testing unit to ensure the safety of drinking water supplied by the small scale community drinking water projects.”

Water Supply Minister Vasudeva Nanayakkara said that safety of water from the Water Board was guaranteed owing to sophisticated purification methods employed by treatment plants. He said that it would take at least four years to provide testing units to ensure drinking water from the small scale community drinking water projects countrywide too is safe from harmful elements.

Continue Reading

news

Teachers’ Union boss Stalin accuses govt of attempting Akila’s failed stunt

Published

on

By Rathindra Kuruwita

There was an attempt to create a new post, Director General – Sports, at the Ministry of Education and to appoint a political henchman, Ceylon Teachers Union (CTU) General Secretary, Joseph Stalin told The Island yesterday.

“According to the Education Administrative Service minute, any appointment has to be made through a competitive exam. However, this post has been created through a Cabinet paper and an SLPP henchman is to be appointed to it.”

The CTU General Secretary said that during the yahapalanaya administration, then Education Minister Akila Viraj Kariyawasam had tried to appoint a UNP henchman to the post of Director – Sports at the Ministry. Kariyawasam had been compelled to back off due to the stiff opposition of the education sector unions, Stalin said.

“The court has also ruled that people should be appointed in keeping with the Education Administrative Service Minute. The President came into power promising to uphold the rule of law, but this government, too, is attempting to undermine the education system by appointing unqualified people to high posts.”

The post of Director General – Sports would have the same perks of an Assistant Secretary and the person to be appointed was a person representing a government affiliated union, Stalin said.

“95% of unions of the education sector will oppose if the government creates this post for the benefit of a henchman. We will resort to trade union and legal action.”

Minister of Education, Prof. G. L. Peiris was not immediately available for comment.

Continue Reading

Trending