News
DEW endorses dissident ministers’ stand on secret Yugadanavi deal
‘It cannot be defended in terms of collective responsibility of Cabinet of Ministers’
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Former Minister D. E. W. Gunasekera says dissident ministers, Vasudeva Nanayakkara, Wimal Weerawansa and Udaya Gammanpila, are right in having thrown their weight behind those who petitioned the Supreme Court against the signing of the sale and purchase agreement for the purchase of 40% of the issued share capital of West Coast Power (Pvt.) Ltd.
Seller Sri Lanka and buyer New Fortress Energy Sri Lanka Power Holding LLC signed the agreement on Sept. 17, 2021 in Colombo.
Gunasekera, who served as the General Secretary of the Communist Party from 2004 till late August 2020, has, in an article published in the party organ, Aththa, in its 02 Jan. edition, emphasised that in spite of being a member of the SLPP Cabinet, the three ministers obviously didn’t want to be respondents in the high profile case. Instead, they have taken a principled stand on the agreement, which was not subjected to proper Cabinet procedure.
Dr. G. Weerasinghe succeeded Gunasekera as the General Secretary of the CP but was denied an SLPP National List slot regardless of an understanding among constituents. First time entrant to parliamentary politics Weerasumana Weerasinghe, longstanding CP member represents Matara District. The CP backs the stand taken by the three ministers, both in and outside Parliament.
Declaring that the ministers opposed the agreement as it had been signed without following proper procedures against their conscience, Gunasekera said that their actions couldn’t be considered a violation of the collective Cabinet responsibility.
The Supreme Court will resume hearing on the case on 10 Jan. The SC bench consists of Supreme Court five-judge-bench comprising Chief Justice Jayantha Jayasuriya, Justices Buwaneka Aluwihare, Justice Priyantha Jayawardena, Justice Vijith Malalgoda and Justice L.T.B. Dehideniya.
The case was heard on Dec 16 and 17. The five-judge-bench put off the case to January 10 after Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, appearing on behalf of the respondents requested that the proceedings not be resumed on Dec 21. The judges wanted to hear the case on Dec 21 and 22.
Gunasekera emphasised that against the backdrop of three Ministers decrying the agreement, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa should have given an opportunity for the cabinet of ministers to discuss the issue at hand. Had remedial measures been taken promptly, the SLPP government could have prevented the problem being exploded into a major political crisis, the former lawmaker said. Gunasekera asserted that the government blundered seriously by its failure to address concerns expressed by a section of the ministers. The former minister declared: “It is the first mistake and the first sin.”
Gunasekera explained how the absence of transparency in the sale of 40 % shares owned by the Treasury to New Fortress Energy, hasty approval of the agreement at the Cabinet level without following due procedure, bringing the power ministry under a new Minister Gamini Lokuge at the expense of Dullas Alahapperuma ahead of the finalization of the agreement, the project being a threat to the country’s sovereignty and inimical to national aspirations and finally the impact on current Geo-political situation undermined stability.
Samagi Jana Balavegaya (SJB) General Secretary Ranjith Maddumabandara, Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) former Parliamentarians Sunil Hadunneththi and Wasantha Samarasinghe, Colombo Archbishop Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith and Ven. Elle Gunawansa thera and Viduli Sevaka Sangamaya have challenged the deal in the Supreme Court.
The former minister also examined the SLPP’s continuing failure to grasp the current crisis. Instead of realizing that their economic strategy had failed to meet the desired objectives or challenges, influential sections of the SLPP quite conveniently blamed the crisis on the Covid-19 epidemic, the ex-MP said.
Gunasekera questioned whether the government was considering a taking a turn to the right seeking a new alternative.
The outspoken politician emphasized that the SJB, the UNP and the JVP (JVP contested last general election on the Jathika Jana Balavegaya ticket) hadn’t been able to correctly ascertain the current situation, particularly against the backdrop of the crisis caused by Yugadanavi fiasco. The SJB and the UNP essentially blamed the current situation on incompetence and mismanagement whereas the JVP believed waste, corruption and misappropriation of public funds caused the deterioration of the national economy.
The former minister also drew public attention to the government altogether doing away with price controls. The runaway cost of living should be examined taking into consideration the government ending state intervention in price controls, the ex-lawmaker said, adding that those who asserted that eradication of bribery, corruption and misappropriation of public funds would be the panacea for Sri Lanka’s ills should realize how government strategy and policies contributed to the deterioration.
Gunasekera also questioned the suitability of the majority of those who had received appointments from President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. Categorizing them as believers of disastrous neo liberal policies, Gunasekera said that the current dispensation was in fact a UPFA style administration. They had proved their belief in neo liberalism through their actions, the former MP said.
The former minister declared that the vast majority of lawmakers in the Parliament couldn’t even understand the developments that had taken place since 1956 hence the deterioration of overall parliamentary standards and way of thinking. Taking a genuine anti-imperialistic patriotic stand was no longer attractive to the majority of lawmakers, Gunasekera said, adding that the current lot basically followed the policies of those elected to the Parliament in 1977.
Gunasekera also examined the differences between the current dispensation and the 2005-2015 Mahinda Rajapaksa administration that quite convincingly managed political upheavals both in and out of Parliament. The former minister said that the same couldn’t be said about the current dispensation.
News
“Investments in Professional Education Are Investments in Institutional Strength and National Progress” – PM
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya stated that strengthening Sri Lanka’s professional education framework and aligning it with internationally recognised standards is essential to building a skilled, ethical, and globally competitive workforce.
The Prime Minister made these remarks while addressing the official launch of the QS-accredited Chartered Qualification in Human Resource Management (CQHRM) at SCQF Level 11 (New Syllabus), organised by the Chartered Institute of Personnel Management (CIPM) Sri Lanka under the theme New Heights of Recognition. The event was held on Wednesday, 18 February at the Cinnamon Life, Colombo.
Emphasising the importance of expanding professional and vocational education pathways, the Prime Minister stated:
“This is of crucial importance to us in broadening our educational pathways and opportunities. We need to increase access to education that is globally recognised and that offers multiple pathways in professional and vocational fields. This aligns closely with the reform process we have initiated in the education sector and with our commitment to lifelong learning where individuals can work and learn at the same time, and where education is not limited to a particular age group but continues throughout life.”
Highlighting Sri Lanka’s national priorities, the Prime Minister further observed:
“At a time when Sri Lanka is focused on economic recovery, institutional reform and sustainable growth, the need for competent and ethical human resource leadership is clear. A competitive economy depends not only on investment and infrastructure but also on skilled professionals who can lead institutions effectively.”
The Prime Minister noted that the QS accreditation of the CQHRM qualification strengthens international recognition of Sri Lankan human resource professionals, enhances professional progression pathways, and reinforces confidence in the country’s professional education system. She also underscored the role of human resource leadership in advancing equity and inclusion within workplaces, including fair recruitment practices, safe working environments, leadership development for women, and inclusive policies for persons with disabilities and neurodivergent individuals.
Addressing the future of work, the Prime Minister stressed the importance of preparing for rapid technological transformation, including the growing impact of artificial intelligence on industries and workforce management, encouraging institutions to proactively adapt to emerging demands.
The event was attended by Deputy Minister of Industry and Entrepreneurship Development, Chathuranga Abeysinghe, along with other distinguished guests.

[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
Latest News
Advisory for Severe Lightning issued to the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts
Advisory for Severe Lightning
Issued by the Natural Hazards Early Warning Centre at 12.00 noon 19 February 2026 valid for the period until 11.00 p.m. 19 February 2026
The public are warned that thundershowers accompanied with severe lightning are likely to occur at some places in in the Western and Sabaragamuwa provinces and in Nuwara-Eliya, Galle and Matara districts after 2.00 p.m.
There may be temporary localized strong winds during thundershowers.
General public is kindly requested to take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
ACTION REQUIRED:
The Department of Meteorology advises that people should:
Seek shelter, preferably indoors and never under trees.
Avoid open areas such as paddy fields, tea plantations and open water bodies during thunderstorms.
Avoid using wired telephones and connected electric appliances during thunderstorms.
Avoid using open vehicles, such as bicycles, tractors and boats etc.
Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
News
Navy and Coast Guard seize 04 Indian fishing vessels poaching in Sri Lankan waters
During operations conducted in the dark hours of 18 Feb 26, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard seized 04 Indian fishing boats and apprehended 22 Indian fishermen, while they were poaching in Sri Lankan waters north of Mannar and off the Delft Island, Jaffna.
Recognizing the detrimental effects of poaching on marine resources and the livelihoods of local fishing communities, the Sri Lanka Navy and Coast Guard continue to conduct regular operations as proactive measures to deter such activities. These efforts underscore the collective robust approach and steadfast commitment to safeguarding the nation’s marine ecosystems while ensuring the economic security and wellbeing of its citizens.
The 02 fishing boats along with the 10 fishermen held in Mannar were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Mannar and the remaining 02 fishing boats intercepted off the Delft Island, together with 12 Indian fishermen were handed over to the Fisheries Inspector of Myliddy for onward legal proceedings.
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
