News
Daya quite surprised by sudden removal

SLPA imbroglio:
By Shamindra Ferdinando
Retired General Daya Ratnayake says his unceremonious removal as Chairman, SLPA, took place at a time the state enterprise was undergoing an unprecedented transformation.
Ratnayake insisted that he hadn’t been specifically told why he had been suddenly replaced over a week before.
Asked whether disciplinary action taken in respect of a female doctor recently, attached to the SLPA, had caused his transfer, General Ratnayake answered in the negative.
Gen. Ratnayake said that during his tenure as the Chairman, SLPA, he had never hesitated to take decisions for the betterment of the vital state enterprise, the SLPA.
Declaring that no one could find fault with him for trying to take the SLPA to the next level, Gen. Ratnayake said, underscoring the importance of a disciplined enterprise.
There was no point in denying the fact that the SLPA had been the grips of corrupt elements at various levels over a long period of time and his appointment sort of disturbed them, Gen. Ratnayake said.
Social media alleged that the lady doctor concerned caused major hiccups by inoculating 12 workers with a single phial of covid vaccine in spite of recommended stipulation that it be limited to just ten.
Gen. Ratnayake declined to comment on speculation in social media posts.
Daya Ratnayake served as the Commander of the Army during the 2013-2015 period. The wartime Eastern Commander served as the Army Chief at the time the change of government took place in January 2015.
Gen. Ratanayake said that he opted to serve as SLPA Chairman instead of Secretary to a ministry as he didn’t want restrictions on work he was engaged in, both here and abroad at the time 2019 change of government took place. Gen. Ratnayake received the SLPA chairmanship in late Dec 2019 with the blessings of President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
Commenting on the situation at the time he received the appointment as SLPA Chairman, Gen. Ratnayake told The Island that the enterprise had been in a structurally broken status and administration at every level in turmoil.
One time harbour Master and Managing Director, SLPA Captain Nihal Keppetipola has succeeded Gen. Ratnayake whereas Upul Jayatissa received appointment as the Managing Director. New appointments were made on June 21.
Gen. Ratnayake explained the difficulties experienced by him in introducing changes. It hadn’t been an easy task to change the mindset of the management as well as workers as years of politicization, waste, corruption, irregularities and negligence had caused irreparable damage to the state enterprise. The decision making process had been chaotic and those responsible routinely engaged in malpractices and the operation was run in a shoddy manner, the former Army Commander said.
However, the management as well as the workers largely accepted and appreciated the changes introduced in the wake of 2019 change of administration, Gen Ratnayake said, adding that some of those who had been languishing in same positions for over 10, 20 years received new appointments.
Responding to another query, Gen. Ratnayake said that the introduction of what he called a board system to ensure transparency in appointments received the appreciation of the vast majority though far reaching changes irked some.
Gen. Ratnayake didn’t repudiate the possibility of those who had been irked by the transformation attempted at the SLPA seeking his ouster. Whatever the circumstances, the General emphasized that his duty and responsibility were to run the enterprise without interruption especially during the current crisis.
The former Army Commander paid a glowing tribute to SLPA workers who ensure uninterrupted services during unprecedented crisis caused by the rampaging Covid-19 epidemic. Gen. Ratnayake said that 30 odd trade unions active in the port backed efforts to improve and expand the Colombo harbour. Without their support, the SLPA couldn’t have sustained port operations without major delays, Gen. Ratnayake said.
Whatever the circumstances under which he had to leave the institution, the vast majority of workers appreciated his efforts, he said.
The retired Army Chief didn’t find fault with trade unions for the problems caused over the recent abortive bid to bring in Indian investment to the East Container Terminal (ECT) of the Colombo harbour.
Gen. Ratnayake alleged that some sections strongly opposed introduction of technology as it impeded their activities. Declaring that the Colombo port cleared approximately 1,500 containers on a daily basis, Gen. Ratnayake alleged that unscrupulous elements received about Rs 7,000 from every container carrier leaving the port.
Referring to the heavy burden of running the costly Colombo port kitchen, Gen. Ratnayake said that the SLPA spent as much as R 120 mn annually and he made successful effort to bring the expenditure down. Alleging that sections of workers opposed changes for obvious reasons, Gen. Ratnayake revealed the difficulty in introducing state of the art systems when project to build 100,000 square feet warehouse got underway.
Gen. Ratnayake said that influential sections opposed new systems, improvements and introduction of technology as they feared that would deprive them of an opportunity to pack the SLPA with their supporters.
Of course jobs had to be provided though such endeavors shouldn’t be at the expense of national assets, the former Army Chief said.
Gen. Ratnayake said that he accepted the appointment as Secretary to the Industries Ministry, a post previously held by Anusha Palpita. Palpita received appointment as Chairman of the Development Lotteries Board. Interestingly, Gen. Ratnayake has been brought in as the Secretary, Industries Ministry in the wake of Lanka Phosphate Ltd, a highly lucrative state enterprise that had been under the Industries Ministry being shifted to the Agriculture Ministry.
News
EC asked to ensure level playing field at LG polls; complaint lodged against President AKD

Eksath Janaraja Peramuna (EJP) yesterday complained to the Election Commission (EC) regarding President Anura Kumara Dissanayake’s recent threat that the government would release funds only to local government bodies to be won by a clean party at the May 06 LG polls.
The EJP, led by former Minister Patali Champika Ranawaka, complained that President Dissanayake has claimed during a public rally at Weligama that the NPP was the only clean party.
The EJP is contesting 37 LG bodies at the forthcoming election.
The new party said that the rights of the other contesting political parties and groups had been violated by the President.
The EJP asked the EC to ensure a level playing field
Having handed over their complaint, EJP spokesman Theekshana Gammanpila told the media outside the EC office that Anura Kumara Dissanayake had won last year’s presidential election and then the parliamentary election as the then government ensured a free and fair election. But now President Dissanayake was making a despicable attempt to influence the electorate in the run-up to the vital mini polls. Gammanpila alleged that the President’s intervention could have a far reaching impact on the electorate.
The EJP spokesman emphasised the responsibility on the part of the EC to intervene and take tangible measures to prevent President Dissanayake from manipulating the electorate to their advantage. (SF)
News
Former CM, and private secretary sentenced to 16 years RI for corruption

Former North Central Province Chief Minister S. M. Ranjith and his private secretary Shanthi, who is his brother, former Minister S.M. Chandrasena’s wife, were yesterday (02) sentenced to 16 years rigorous imprisonment after being found guilty of corruption charges. They were also ordered to pay a fine of Rs. 200,000 each.
The judgment was delivered by Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendi.
They were convicted on charges filed by the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption.
S.M. Ranjith was found guilty of enabling Shanti to secure an additional fuel allowance between Sept 2012 and Dec 2014 to the tune of Rs 2.68 mn.
News
Traditional Japanese musical concert and cultural performance

The Embassy of Japan in Sri Lanka hosted a concert of Japanese traditional music by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra featuring the performers of NYSC on 28th March in honour of the visit of Most. Ven. Ohtani Chohjun Nayaka Hamuduruwo, the 25th Head Priest of Higashi Hongan-ji Grand Temple.
The event featured a Japanese tea ceremony and breathtaking musical performances by the Honganji Temple & Foundation Japanese Orchestra, showcasing traditional Japanese instruments such as the Koto and Shamisen. The evening was further enriched by violin and vibrant dance performances by students from the National Youth Council (NYSC) and Lanka Nippon Biztech Institute (LNBTI).
This cultural celebration further strengthened the deep ties between Japan and Sri Lanka, offering a unique experience of Japanese tradition and heritage.
-
Sports4 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News3 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
News5 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Business6 days ago
AIA Higher Education Scholarships Programme celebrating 30-year journey
-
News4 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features4 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Latest News2 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win
-
Features4 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know