News
Church welcomes Prez’s promise to move against those named in Easter Sunday PCoI
Maithripala Sirisena, Nilantha J, two senior AG Department officials among the culprits
By Shamindra Ferdinando
The Catholic Church yesterday (25) welcomed President Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s declaration that the government had the required 2/3 majority in Parliament to take action against those who had been named in the Presidential Commission of Inquiry (PCoI) by introducing a new Act in Parliament.
Top spokesperson for the Church Rev Fr. Cyril Gamini Fernando told The Island that the Church had repeatedly asked for the full implementation of the recommendations made by the PCoI.
Rev. Fernando said that the Church launched a sustained campaign due to the inordinate delay on the part of the government to act on the PCoI recommendations.
The PCoI handed over its report to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa on Feb 01 this year.
Having vested the newly built Kelani Bridge with the people, President Gotabaya Rajapaksa warned the Opposition not to push the government on the issue at hand as it enjoyed the parliamentary majority needed to enact necessary legislation to punish the culprits.
Rev. Fernando emphasised that the stand taken up by the Catholic Church in respect of the PCoI recommendations was clear. Responding to a query, Rev Fernando said that the Catholic Church quite clearly accepted the composition of the PCoI, appointed on Sept 21, 2019 by the then President Maithripala Sirisena. In spite of the change of government two months later, the Catholic Church accepted the composition of the PCoI, Rev Fernando said, adding that a team of lawyers represented the Catholic Church at the PCoI.
Now that President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has assured that his administration would act on the recommendations, the Catholic Church hoped the government would go the whole hog.
The five-member PCoI consisted of Appellate Court Judge Janak de Silva (Chairman), Appeal Court Judge Nissanka Bandula Karunarathna, Retired Judge of the Court of Appeal Nihal Sunil Rajapaksa, Retired Judge of the High Court Bandula Kumara Atapattu and retired Ministry Secretary Ms. W.M.M. Adikari.
Asked whether the Catholic Church would give up its campaign both here and abroad to pressure the government over the delay in the judicial process, Rev. Fernando said the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) had so far questioned him for three days –over a period of 15- 16 hours subsequent to a complaint lodged by State Intelligence Service (SIS) Chief Maj. Gen. Suresh Salley. “The Catholic Church had no option but to seek justice whatever the consequences as we felt efforts are being made to discard PCoI recommendations,” Rev. Fernando said.
Rev. Fernando pointed out that one of those who had been named by the PCoI, Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena, Maj. Gen. Salley’s predecessor was a key prosecution witness now.
The National Catholic Committee for Justice in July this year urged President Gotabaya Rajapaksa to implement the PCoI’s recommendations in respect of the then President Maithripala Sirisena, who is also the leader of the SLFP and the then Prime Minister and the leader of the UNP Ranil Wickremesinghe.
The SLFP with 14-member group is the second biggest constituent in the government.
The Church released an 18-page report that had been sent to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa. The report dealt with specific alleged lapses on the part of the incumbent government.
Referring to the PCoI report (PCoI Final Report Vol. 1, p 265), the Church asked why the government had refrained from initiating criminal proceedings against Sirisena under suitable provisions in the Penal Code.
The Church also found fault with the PCoI for failing to make specific recommendations in respect of UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe, though it recognized his role in facilitating Islamic extremism. Referring to PCoI assessment of PM Wickremesinghe’s soft approach towards Islamic extremism that paved the way for the Easter Sunday carnage (P CoI Final Report Vol 1, p 276-277), the Church said that they couldn’t comprehend why specific recommendation was not made.
Archbishop of Colombo Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith told a July media briefing that Wickremesinghe’s lax approach and irresponsible attitude should have been thoroughly investigated.
The Cardinal on behalf of the National Catholic Committee for Justice declared that unless the government addressed their grievances they would be compelled to resort to other means to obtain justice.
Noting that legal action had been initiated against the then Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando over his failure to thwart the Easter Sunday bombings, the Catholic Church asked why action hadn’t been taken in respect of the then Chief of National Intelligence retired DIG Sisira Mendis and Director of State Intelligence Service Senior DIG Nilantha Jayawardena. The Church pointed out that the PCoI had recommended that the Attorney General should consider criminal proceedings against Mendis and Jayawardena under any suitable provision in the Penal Code.
The Church stressed that the P CoI made the recommendation on the basis that the available evidence indicated that there was criminal liability on the part of both Mendis and Jayewardena.
The following are the P CoI recommendations in respect of the then Senior DIG Western Province Nandana Munasinghe (criminal liability), DIG Colombo North Deshabandu Tennakoon (disciplinary inquiry), SP Colombo North Sanjeewa Bandara (criminal liability), SP Chandana Atukorale (criminal liability), Director Western Province Intelligence Division B.E.I. Prasanna (criminal liability), ASP S. Kumara (disciplinary inquiry), Acting OIC, Fort Chief Inspector R.M. Sarath Kumarasinghe (criminal liability), OIC Fort Chief Inspector Sagara Wilegoda Liyanage (criminal liability) and OIC Katana Chaminda Nawaratne (disciplinary inquiry).
Rev. Fernando stressed that contrary to claims the Church hadn’t been given access to the full report. The Church spokesperson pointed out that the PCoI recommended the Public Service Commission take disciplinary action against State Counsel Malik Azeez and Deputy Solicitor General Azad Navani for their failure that may have contributed to the Easter Sunday carnage.
The PCoI also made reference to ACMC leader Rishad Bathiudeen, his brother, Riyaj Bathiudeen, Dr. Muhamad Zulyan Muhamad Zafras, Ahamed Lukman Thalib and M.L.A.M. Hizbullah.
News
CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail
Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.
The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.
The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”
Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.
At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.
The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.
However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.
A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.
The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.
Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.
By Ifham Nizam
News
PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs
Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.
According to the disclosure:
An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.
Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.
Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.
Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.
MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.
Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.
For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.
News
CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests
Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.
The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.
These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.
Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.
Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.
The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”
The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.
By AJA Abeynayake
-
Life style5 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business4 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features5 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features5 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features5 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News5 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News5 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
News3 days agoIMF MD here
