Connect with us

news

“Cabinet not in dark about LNG deal with New Fortress,” says UNP

Published

on

by Piyasena Dissanayake

The UNP said on Thursday that it would not believe the story floating around that Cabinet ministers were in the dark about the government’s signing a deal with the US based New Fortress Energy to build an offshore liquified natural gas (LNG) receiving, storage and regasification terminal.

Addressing a press conference at the Abhayaramaya in Narahenpita, UNP Chairman Wajira Abeywardena said that the cabinet paper to the effect had been first submitted to the cabinet meeting held on Sept 9.

“The agreement was signed on Sept 18. It is impossible to believe that the ministers of the cabinet did not read the paper submitted to them nine days before. It is a lie that these ministers were not aware of the content of that paper given to them. It seems another ruse by a group of ministers to show that they have a different stance and show themselves off as a group against this. They all have approved it and are now playing a different tune to save their individual faces. The truth is that the agreement has been signed and all ministers in the cabinet are responsible for the deal,” Abeywardena said.

He said that what matters is the rationale behind the signing of the agreement. “What should be clear at this point is whether the government opted for this move for the benefit of electricity consumers of this country or someone within the government was earning commissions out of this. The electricity prices for the consumers locally are comparatively higher than many other countries. The government should think of cleaner and cheaper energy at the lowest possible price to consumers. It does not matter whether it enters into an agreement with the US, China or India for that purpose. It should protect the interests of consumers,” he said.

The US company New Fortress Energy Inc. and the government have entered into an agreement for New Fortress’ investment in West Coast Power Limited, the owner of the 310 MW Yugadanavi Power Plant, along with the rights to develop a new LNG Terminal off the coast of Colombo.

As part of the transaction, New Fortress will have gas supply rights to the Kerawalapitiya Power Complex, where 310 MW of power is generated today and an additional 700 MW to be added, with 350 MW to be available by 2023.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

news

Two-year reconciliation project spurns Lord Naseby’s disclosure

Published

on

EU, Germany funded scheme costs Rs. 8 mn

By Shamindra Ferdinando

The National Peace Council (NPC) says war-related matters hadn’t been discussed at the nearly two-year-long reconciliation project that brought together students from Eastern, Jaffna, Ruhuna and Sabaragamuwa Universities.

More than 160 students have participated in the project that culminated with a conference on the theme of ‘Plural Sri Lanka: Paths to reconciliation.’ Foreign Minister Prof. G.L. Peiris delivered the closing address and responded to questions from the audience.

Pointing out that post-war reconciliation efforts had been badly hampered by allegations that the Sri Lankan military killed over 40,000 civilians on the Vanni east front, The Island sought clarification as regards measures taken by the NPC to improve relations among the communities, and the following questions were raised:

The Island:

During your two-year long project did participants discuss specific war crimes allegations and disclosure made in the House of Lords in Oct 2017 that contradicted unsubstantiated accusations pertaining to 40,000 civilian deaths.

Executive Director NPC Dr. Jehan Perera:

“No, we did not discuss these war-related matters. The project was titled “Creative Youth Engagement for Pluralism” and it focused on the nature of Sri Lanka as a plural society and the value framework that should guide it.  The research papers highlighted the diversity within Sri Lankan society that goes beyond ethnicity and religion.  They included topics such as “Attitudes of Society on Education and Transsexuality: A Comparative Study on the Ideologies of a Community with Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Education,” and “Pluralism and University Subculture: An Ethnological Study on Young Behavior towards Social Cohesion,” and “An Investigative Study of the Challenges Posed by the Changes in the Aboriginal Society.”

The Island:

What is the total cost of the project?

The NPC

: Rs 8 million was spent to train and mentor the writers of the 30 research publications in four universities, translate, review and publish their findings in book form and for the conference which brought the students to Colombo.

Question 3:

What is the GoSL’s contribution?

The NPC:

There was no direct financial support by the government. Four state universities supported through their faculty members and students.

The Island: What is the NPC’s stand on accountability resolution and announcement made in Geneva that the Sri Lankan military would be subjected to a fresh inquiry?

The NPC:

In order to get out of these allegations, there is a need for a credible and independent investigation. Our preference is for a national mechanism that is acceptable to all sides.  Accountability will need to be a part of the reconciliation process.  NPC favours the restorative justice approach which focuses on ensuring justice to victims. This includes an acknowledgement of wrongs done and reparations and institutional reform to ensure that there is non-recurrence. 

 The Island: Are you also engaged in post-war reconciliation projects funded by Norway?

The NPC:

NPC hasn’t obtained funds from Norway for the past five years.

The recently concluded project has been funded by a project called Strengthening Reconciliation Process here jointly funded by the European Union and the German Federal Foreign Office and implemented by Deutsche Gesellsschaft Fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH and the British Council in partnership with the Sri Lankan Government.

Continue Reading

news

Speaker promises to appoint bi-partisan committee to look into incidents in Parliament

Published

on

Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena announced in Parliament yesterday (06) that a committee consisting of senior members from the Government and Opposition would be appointed within the week to look into the incidents that took place in Parliament last Friday and Saturday and submit a report.

Continue Reading

news

High Court Trial-at-Bar orders release of several accused from 11 charges in CB bond auction case

Published

on

By AJA Abeynayake

Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar yesterday ordered the release of several accused, including former Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayke and former Central Bank former Governor Arjuna Mahendra, from 11 charges out of 22 in connection with the Central Bank bond auction held on 31 March, 2016.

Colombo High Court Trial-at-Bar held that public property charges against the accused could not be maintained. Indictments had been filed against Perpetual Treasuries Private Ltd (PTL), former Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayke, CBSL former Governor Arjuna Mahendran, Perpetual Treasuries Limited (PTL) beneficiary owner Arjun Aloysius, PTL Chief dealer Kasun Palisena, Chairman of PTL Jeffrey Joseph Aloysius, Chitta Ranjan Hulugalle, Muthuraja Surendran, Ajahn Gardiye Punchihewa and Badugoda Hewa Indika Saman Kumara in connection with bond auction held on March 31, 2016.

The case against seventh accused Ranjan Hulugalle was dismissed on preliminary objections raised.

President’s Counsel Anil Silva, Counsel Asela Serasinghe, Hafeel Farisz, Sahan Kulatunga and Vishwaka Peiris appeared for the seventh accused.

The Attorney General’s stance regarding the future cause of action to be informed on 26 Jan. 2022.

The Attorney General had alleged that the PTL had been using the Central Bank’s important undisclosed information to alter the final outcome of the Treasury bond auction and it had a huge impact on the overall national economy as a result of the subtle; the systematic conduct of the offences related to the fraud and had caused injustice to other primary sellers in the bond market, and the PTL had acted cunningly and made a huge profit and conspired to cause a huge loss to the government.

The case was postponed until 26 Jan. 2022.

Continue Reading

Trending