News
Unprovoked attacks: AG asked to consider taking legal action against MR, others under ICCPR
… arrest those named in court proceedings
By Shamindra Ferdinando
The Colombo High Court Lawyers’ Association intends to move the Fort Magistrate’s court against the inordinate delay on the part of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) to arrest those who had been named in the ongoing court proceedings as suspects.
The Fort Magistrate’s Court has issued a travel ban on ex-Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, Namal Rajapaksa, Pavithra Wanniarachchi, Johnston Fernando, Sanjeewa Edirimanna, Rohitha Abeygunawardena, C.B. Ratnayake, Sanath Nishantha, Kanchana Jayaratne (Pavitra Wanniarachchi’s husband), Sampath Athukorala, Mahinda Kahandagama, Renuka Perera, Nishantha Abeysinghe, Amitha Abeywickrama, Pushpalal Kumarasinghe, Dilip Fernando and Senior DIG Deshabandu Thennakoon.
The Magistrate also imposed a travel ban on seven others who had been wounded in or were eye-witnesses to the attacks.
Alleging that the CID probe was progressing at a snail’s pace, Attorney-at-Law J. Tenny Fernando, Convenor has, in a letter dated 15 May, requested Attorney General Sanjay Rajaratnam, PC, to expedite the process. The copies of the lawyer’s letter have been forwarded to IGP C. D. Wickremaratne, Chairperson of the Human Rights Commission Justice Rohini Marasinghe, and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
The Association has asked the AG whether the delay in taking those who had influenced the unprovoked attacks on protesting public into custody was because of their political status, political intervention hampering investigations or any other reason.
The association’s President and Attorney-at-Law Lakshman Perera told The Island that the public was seriously concerned about the double-standards in the CID’s response to the unprovoked attacks obviously carried out at the behest of those at the helm of Temple Trees and retaliatory violence.
Referring to the association’s letter to the AG, lawyer Perera said that the police headquarters over the weekend declared the arrest of over 200 persons in connection with retaliatory attacks whereas none of those whose passports were impounded were taken. Lawyer Perera noted that Police Spokesman and Attorney-at-Law SSP Nihal Thalduwa on Sunday (15) announced the arrest of a 49-year-old employee of Moratuwa Municipal Council in connection with the attacks on protest sites. SSP Thalduwa said that the CID took him into custody at Moratuwella, Moratuwa.
The Colombo High Court Lawyers’ Association has requested the AG to instruct the CID to take those who had been named in the court proceedings into custody without delay.
The IGP directed the CID to inquire into the incidents following a missive from the AG, who drew attention of the Police Chief to the domestic and international ramifications of the May 09 mayhem.
The association has queried whether the AG could file charges against some of those politicians who had allegedly instigated attacks in terms of Section 03 of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act No 56 of 2007.
Convenor Fernando warned the AG that the integrity of his Office is in question against the backdrop of both the legal fraternity and the citizenry relentlessly demanding expeditious handling of the Temple Trees case.
The association has emphasised that the ongoing investigations are under the purview of the AG in terms of Section 393 of the Code of Criminal Procedure Act No 15 of 1979. Referring to the extensive coverage of the incidents in the mainstream as well as the social media, the association has questioned the honesty and the efficiency of the CID.
Appreciating the swift action taken by the AG’s Department in respect of principal suspects to secure a travel ban, the association has reminded the President’s Counsel Rajaratnam that the outfit is about to file action against the same lot and some additional suspects when the AG intervened.
Lawyer Perera said that if not for the AG initiating action, the association would have done the needful. The entire world was watching how the government handled this situation, he said, adding that it would be the responsibility of the AG to ensure justice.
News
Ravi demands full disclosure on Lanka’s usable reserves, flags forex leakages
Opposition MP Ravi Karunanayake on Wednesday called for an urgent government statement to Parliament on the integrity and usability of Sri Lanka’s Gross Official Reserves (GOR), raising concerns over foreign exchange leakages and regulatory consistency under the Foreign Exchange Act No. 12 of 2017.
Raising the issue under Standing Order 27 (i), Karunanayake urged the Government to provide a comprehensive disclosure on the composition, encumbrances and deployability of the country’s reserves, as well as on the Central Bank’s oversight of foreign currency transactions.
“Reserve credibility depends not merely on headline numbers, but on transparency, enforceability and consistency in regulation,” the MP told the House.
He sought clarification on the latest reported GOR figure and the net usable reserves after excluding encumbered assets, swaps and pledged balances. He also requested details of annual revenue earned on reserves from 2023 to 2025.
Following are the questions raised by MP Karunanayake:
1. What is the latest reported GOR figure, and what is the net usable reserve after excluding encumbered assets, swaps, and pledged balances? What is the revenue earned on are GOR 23-25 per year?
2. Provide a separate and detailed breakdown of GOR, including: (a) Monetary gold (quantity and valuation basis) is it real gold or gold paper? (b) Foreign currency assets by major currency and instrument; (c) SDR holdings; (d) IMF reserve position; (e) Foreign currency swaps, specifying counterparty type, principal amount, tenure, maturity profile, and all-in cost; (f) Domestic swaps, specifying amount, tenure, rollover terms, collateralisation, and effective cost.
3. Of the total reserves reported, how much is encumbered, swap-backed, or otherwise not immediately deployable for debt servicing or currency stabilisation?
4. What SLR spread, fee, or margin does the Central bank apply when buying or selling USD to the Government for reserve accumulation and external debt servicing and what total profit or gain has the C.bank realised from such transactions during the past three financial years? Advice per year.
5. Is the Central Bank subject to continuous and statutory audit by the Auditor General? If so, will the Government table the most recent audit report, specifying audit scope, sample size, reserve confirmations, swap verification and gold custody validation?
6. What triggered the recent circular warning domestic institutions on foreign currency transactions?
7. Has the C.bank quantified foreign exchange and tax revenue losses resulting from Sri Lanka-based businesses routing credit card and commercial payments through overseas payment gateways?
8. If domestic entities are regulated strictly, why has a binding circular not been issued against noncompliant business entities using foreign payment gateway arrangements that divert foreign exchange outside Sri Lanka’s regulated banking system?
The government asked for two weeks’ time to respond to the queries.
by Saman Indrajith
News
Sajith exposes highly questionable coal imports from South Africa in 25 vessels; calls for independent probe
Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa yesterday alleged in Parliament that eight recently imported coal shipments were substandard and called for an independent probe into the matter.Speaking in the House, Premadasa said Sri Lanka typically requires 36–38 coal shipments annually. While 11 Russian shipments received so far had raised no concerns, he claimed that 25 vessels ordered from South Africa under a new tender were facing quality issues.
He cited combustion reports from the Norochcholai Coal Power Plant showing that the eight shipments already received under the new tender failed to generate the expected 300 megawatts per unit. According to the MP, the outputs were: 285 MW, 290 MW, 260 MW, 295 MW, 285 MW, 270 MW, 275 MW, and 255 MW.
“These are scientific data generated automatically through boiler combustion reports that cannot be altered,” Premadasa said, asserting that the figures indicate the coal supplied was below required standards.
He warned that low-quality coal could increase fuel consumption, raise operational costs, and damage equipment. Any shortfall in power generation, he said, would necessitate additional coal imports or greater reliance on diesel power, ultimately driving up electricity tariffs for consumers.
“The loss will have to be borne by the electricity consumer,” Premadasa said, urging the government to clarify whether the shipments met required specifications.
He also criticized delays and changes in tender requirements, alleging that supplier eligibility criteria had been relaxed to allow non-standard providers.
by Saman Indrajith
News
Ex-TRCSL Chairman Palpita enlarged on bail
Former Mass Media Ministry Secretary and former Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) Chairman Anusha Palpita was yesterday released on bail by the Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court.Colombo Chief Magistrate Asanga S. Bodaragama granted bail after considering submissions made by officials of the Bribery Commission and counsel for the defence.
The Magistrate ordered the suspect’s release on two personal surety bonds of Rs. 5 million each and imposed a foreign travel ban.
When the case was taken up, Bribery Commission officials informed court that a report had been called regarding alleged investments made by the suspect in the stock market. They sought a further date to present facts pertaining to those reports.
Appearing for the suspect, Attorney-at-Law Kanchana Ratwatte submitted that his client had been in remand custody for nearly a month and was prepared to extend full cooperation to investigators. He moved for bail on that basis.
After hearing both sides, the Magistrate observed that no reasonable grounds had been placed before court to further remand the suspect and ordered his release on bail. The case was fixed for 29 May.
Palpita was arrested on 23 January in connection with an investigation initiated by the Bribery Commission over the alleged failure to disclose the source of assets amounting to Rs. 46 million.
The Commission stated that he had arrived at its office on the day of his arrest to give a statement and was taken into custody thereafter.
He was arrested on allegations of amassing assets and property disproportionate to his declared income during a specified period, following a probe into wealth allegedly accumulated beyond his lawful earnings.
-
Life style6 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business5 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features6 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features6 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features6 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News6 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News6 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Sports2 days agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
