News
Torture of suspects in police custody alleged
Complaints against police abusing the Emergency regulation to torture people under custody have increased, says the Committee to Protect the Rights of Prisoners (CPRP).Chairman of CPRP, Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera said that there were complaints from victims of torture.
“It is now a known fact that many who had been taken into custody, following recent protests, were beaten in police custody, or remand custody. In most of the cases, the victims do not come forward in fear of reprisals, or some had been intimidated not to take their complaints to authorities, such as the Human Rights Commission. When they go before the Human Rights Commission the perpetrator officers visit them at home and threaten to withdraw their complaints or to face repercussions.
This is a sad situation,” Perera said.Perera said that there were reports of police abuses including include alleged extrajudicial killings, torture, and arbitrary detention. The government should restore independent oversight of the police and meaningfully investigate and prosecute alleged police abuses.Perera said that the convict inmates undergo cruel treatment and many victims were forced to suffer in silence. “We received a complaint from an inmate in Kuruwita prison by the name of Jeewananda Rajapaksa. He had been forced to withdraw a complaint against an officer. Since the inmate delayed the withdrawal he had been beaten severely. Now a case against the officer is pending,” Perera said.
One Chamara William, who had lodged a complaint against torture under custody against police at the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka, had later gone missing and still his whereabouts are unknown. In his complaint he alleged of brutal beating under custody. He was receiving treatment at the Negombo Hospital and from there he had been taken away by the police. Thereafter his whereabouts are unknown.
South Asia Director at Human Rights Watch Meenakshi Ganguly has, in a recent statement, said: “Sri Lanka’s police seem intent on building on their past record of serious abuses, instead of cleaning up their act. “The UN, UK, and others working with Sri Lankan law enforcement should recognize that without the political will to reform on Sri Lanka’s part, their engagement risks appearing to endorse abusive agencies.”
Latest News
Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years
A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.
Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.
It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.
Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.
His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.
Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.
(PMD)
News
ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.
Latest News
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).
The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.
During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
