Connect with us

News

Sri Lankan jailed for life over ‘monstrous’ killing of family

Published

on

Dhanushka Wickramasinghe (far left) with his wife and four young children [BBC]

A man who killed six people, including a mother and four children, in the Canadian capital Ottawa has been sentenced to life in prison.

Febrio De-Zoysa, a 20-year-old student, was living with the family in March 2024 when he fatally stabbed Darshani Ekanayake, 35, and her four children: Inuka, seven; Ashwini, four; Ranaya, three; and two-month old baby Kelly.

A family friend, 40-year-old Gamini Amarakoon, was also killed, while the father Dhanushka Wickramasinghe was wounded.

Delivering the verdict on Thursday, Justice Kevin Phillips condemned De-Zoysa’s “stupefying, monstrous” actions. “You are the stuff of nightmares… You have caused so much loss and grief,” he said.

De-Zoysa cannot seek parole for 25 years.

The Sri Lankan student was living in the basement of the Wickramasinghe family’s rented townhouse at the time of the mass stabbing, which Ottawa’s mayor later called “one of the most shocking incidents of violence in our city’s history”.

In court on Thursday, De-Zoysa repeated what he had said during earlier investigations: that the family had been “good and kind” to him, but that he was “unwell” at the time.

Defence lawyer Ewan Lyttle acknowledged that De-Zoysa committed “unthinkable” crimes, while noting that he was wrestling with mental illness when the incident occurred.

De-Zoysa sat still and showed no emotion for most of the hearing, Canadian media reported.

When Justice Phillips asked if he had anything more to say, he apologised. “I will spend the rest of my life acknowledging the truth of what I did,” he said.

The victims, apart from the baby who was born in Canada, were Sri Lankans who had arrived in Ottawa over the previous few years.

De-Zoysa told investigators that he committed the murder on 6 March 2024 because he had run out of money but did not want to return to Sri Lanka when his student visa expired.

His weapon was a 38cm hunting knife which he bought more than a month before and had wanted to use to take his own life, the court said.

De-Zoysa’s first victim was Amarakoon, whom he killed within “a small number of minutes” after inviting Amarakoon to his room in the basement to watch a movie.

Ekanayake heard Amarakoon’s screams and called her husband, who was still out. Wickramasinghe then phoned De-Zoysa, who lied that the screams were from a movie they were watching, Canadian broadcaster CBC reported.

De-Zoysa then headed upstairs and stabbed Ekanayake and the four kids to death.

When Wickramasinghe returned home hours later, De-Zoysa started attacking him but was eventually subdued.

Neighbours called the police when they heard Wickramasinghe screaming that someone had murdered his family.

Police arrived to find De-Zoysa sitting on the front steps of the house. “I was going to be deported. I had no choice. I killed them all,” he reportedly told the arresting officer.

Amarakoon’s widow Dishani Asangika Fernando appeared in Thursday’s hearing via video conference from Sri Lanka, saying her late husband had “given everything to us – his time, his energy, his dreams”.

Their three-year-old daughter “asks for him all the time”, the court heard, while their teenage daughter Asheri Hiyansa Amarakoon told the court “nothing feels normal anymore”.

 Wickramasinghe, who was the last to speak, said the tragedy “destroyed my whole world” and is something he can never recover from.

He had brought his family to Canada in search of a better life, he said, according to a CBC report.

“Please do not destroy the peace and quiet of this land. Let us protect and respect it.”

[BBC]



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy

Published

on

By

The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year. [

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland will join the Netherlands, Scotland, Thailand, the UAE and Papua New Guinea (PNG) in the 10-team championship. The decision was among the key outcomes of the ICC Chief Executives Committee (CEC) meeting conducted online on Thursday.
The inaugural edition of the championship was held in Bangkok from November 20 to 30 and featured Scotland, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda and Tanzania, besides hosts Thailand. Thailand emerged champions after four teams – the hosts, UAE, Scotland and the Netherlands – finished level on points. The champions were eventually identified on net run rate.
The ICC, under the chairmanship of Jay Shah, intends to give a major fillip to women’s cricket – a move similar to the one that had far-reaching implications for the women’s game in India during his tenure as BCCI secretary. Following the blockbuster Women’s World Cup, which recorded unprecedented global viewership and was incidentally won by India, the ICC is now aiming to make women’s cricket the most popular women’s sport in the world.

In this context, the CEC received a presentation from McKinsey & Company, which advised the ICC on a strategy refresh for women’s cricket. The firm also presented recommendations on how the ICC could potentially increase its revenues tenfold over the next decade.
The ICC also heard presentations from representatives of Oliver Wyman on its data monetisation project. The governing body is keen to create a centralised data hub that could potentially generate revenues of at least $100 million. FIFA and the ATP Tour, it is understood, earn close to $200 million each from their respective data platforms.
As previously reported by this website, there was no discussion on men’s cricket matters such as the restructuring of the World Test Championship (WTC) or the proposed two-tier Test system. Those issues have been left to the ICC Board, which is scheduled to meet in Ahmedabad on May 30.
Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Trending