News
SLFPer praises Prez for making country third most suitable destination for tourists
By Ifham Nizam
President Gotabaya Rajapaksa deserves credit for the success of the ongoing vaccination programme countrywide, Environment Minister Mahinda Amaraweera said yesterday, adding that even international organisations had declared that Sri Lanka was currently the third most suitable destination for travel in the world.
“Therefore, I am confident that the tourism industry in our country will grow further. I believe that the growth of the tourism industry is a very good sign that the country is recovering from the current economic downturn,” he said.
Due to the success of the Covid-19 vaccination programme, Sri Lanka was being recognized internationally as one of the best countries in the world for tourism and the increase in tourist arrivals here is a positive sign for the economic development, the SLFP Minister in the government said.
Minister Amaraweera said so at an event held at the Beliatta Vocational Training Centre to provide the equipment required for CFC free Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Course conducted by the National Ozone Unit of the Ministry of Environment.
Speaking of the economic downturn, Amaraweera said every government sinc 1948 had been responsible for this situation. In fact, the real economic collapse of our country took place only after 1977. It was only after 1977 that the productive economic system of our country was ruined,” he added.
“When Mrs. Sirimavo Bandaranaike took over the country in 1970, the dollar cost only nine rupees. When she handed over the country in 1977 the value of rupee was so high, the dollar was reduced to seven rupees. But by 1985 the value of the dollar roe to 116 rupees.
“Every government since 1977 has run the economy on foreign borrowings. Today, we have to face the result of the deactivation of the National Production Programme introduced by Former PM Mrs. Bandaranaike.
Now we are in a position to pay off debts and obtain loans. Although no foreign loans were taken during the tenure of the current President, every government that came to power after 1977 borrowed heavily from foreign sources,” he noted.
Latest News
Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years
A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.
Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.
It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.
Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.
His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.
Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.
(PMD)
News
ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy
The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.
Latest News
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit
Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).
The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.
During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.
-
Features6 days agoSri Lankan Airlines Airbus Scandal and the Death of Kapila Chandrasena and my Brother Rajeewa
-
News7 days agoLanka’s eligibility to draw next IMF tranche of USD 700 mn hinges on ‘restoration of cost-recovery pricing for electricity and fuel’
-
News6 days agoKapila Chandrasena case: GN phone records under court scrutiny
-
News6 days agoRupee slide rekindles 2022 crisis fears as inflation risks mount
-
Features3 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
Business6 days agoExpansion of PayPal services in Sri Lanka officially announced
-
News2 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
News6 days agoCourt orders further arrests in alleged USD 42 Mn NDB fraud case
