News
Sabry promises parliament will get copies PC0I reports

Opposition asks why PM and Speaker have not been summoned before Easter Sunday probe commission
By Saman Indrajith
Justice Minister Ali Sabry yesterday promised to put in place a mechanism soon to ensure that Parliament would receive all presidential commission reports.
He gave that pledge in response to a question raised by Chief Opposition Whip Lakshman Kiriella, who pointed out that there had been many presidential commissions of inquiry in the past, but none of their reports were available in the Parliament library.
Kiriella said: “There have been presidential commissions under successive governments but none of their reports were made available to the MPs. Will we be getting the reports of the presidential commission of inquiry?’
Justice Minister Sabry
: Are you asking for the commission report that found the Opposition leader guilty? The presidential commission of inquiry on the Easter Sunday incident is not released. Once it is released we’ll introduce a mechanism to ensure that MPs will have access to it.
SJB Colombo District MP Mujibur Rahman
: The Chief Opposition Whip was referring to the report of the presidential commission of inquiry on political victimisation. The MPs have to read those reports.
SJB Ratnapura District MP Hesha Withanage:
There were several commissions of inquiry and we have no access to their reports. It seems that there is a new situation where some important facts pertaining to the Easter Sunday attacks are being covered up. On the other hand, it is doubtful whether the commission of inquiry has investigated all facts. For example, the incumbent speaker as an MP then made a statement that he had received a prior warning that there would be a terror attack on Easter Sunday. Similarly, the security contingent of the then Opposition Leader Mahinda Rajapaksa too had received that warning. They have not given evidence before the commission. This is a serious situation and there are growing concerns that the investigation has veered off the track.
Justice Minister Sabry: We have assured you several times in this House and elsewhere there will nothing untowards as regards such investigations. As we stated yesterday the police have completed their investigations by November last year and submitted their findings to the Attorney General’s Department for legal action. The Attorney General has said that he would await the release of the report of the presidential commission of inquiry and then institute legal action against those responsible.
The Attorney General has assured me that there would be no influence on the commission of inquiry and due process would be followed with regard to those responsible for the Easter Sunday carnage. The We assure you that justice would be served. 268 persons were killed in the attacks. As per the applications for compensation, 506 persons were wounded. We have no intention of turning this investigation into a political circus.
Latest News
Special Train Services during Sinhala and Tamil New Year

The General Manager of Railways has announced that the following special train services will operate during the Sinhala and Tamil New Year period.
1. From Colombo Fort to Badulla – departing Colombo Fort at 1930 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April
2. From Badulla to Colombo Fort – departing Badulla at 1750 hrs on 11th, 12th, 19th and 20th April
3. From Galle to Anuradhapura – departing Galle at 0400 hrs on 12th and 13th April
4. From Anuradhapura to Galle – departing Anuradhapura at 1500 hrs on 12th and 13th April
5. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 120 hrs on 10th, 11th, 15th and 20th April
6. From Galle to Colombo Fort – departing Galle at 0610 hrs on 11th, 12th, 16th and 21st April
7. From Colombo Fort to Galle – departing Colombo Fort at 1330 hrs on 12th and 13th April
8. From Colombo Fort to Kankasanthurai [Intercity Express] – departing Colombo Fort at 0530 hrs on 11th and 18th April
9. From Kankasanthurai to Colombo Fort [Intercity Express] – departing Kankasanthurai at 1350 hrs on 11th and 18th April
10. From Beliatta to Colombo Fort – departing Beliatta at 0825 hrs on 12th, 13th, 18th, 19th and 20th April
News
PM strengthens vocational education and economic ties with Germany

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya visited Hamburg, Germany, focusing on strengthening vocational education and economic partnerships between the two nations. During her visit, she participated in the 102nd East Asia Friendship Dinner, met with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier, and engaged in high-level discussions on investment, education, and economic reforms.
As a Guest of Honour at the German Asia-Pacific Business Association (OAV) annual gathering, Prime Minister Amarasuriya addressed an audience of business leaders and dignitaries, emphasizing Sri Lanka’s economic recovery and its potential as a growing investment destination. She highlighted the contributions of over 160 German companies in Sri Lanka and invited further collaboration in trade and business.
In her capacity as the Minister of Education, Higher Education, and Vocational Education, the Prime Minister delivered a keynote speech at the ’German-Asian Forum on Vocational Education & Training.’ She acknowledged Germany’s decades-long support in Sri Lanka’s vocational education sector and stressed the importance of modernizing vocational training to align with industry demands. Additionally, she visited ITECH vocational school and German research hubs such as NXP Semiconductors and DESY, discussing collaboration in IT and technology-driven industries.
During her discussions with President Steinmeier, Prime Minister Amarasuriya reiterated Sri Lanka’s commitment to economic stability, social protection, and national unity. She also attended a business roundtable, where she engaged with German companies and government representatives on economic expansion, digitalization, and sustainable development initiatives.
The Prime Minister was accompanied by Sri Lanka’s Ambassador to Germany, Varuni Muthukumarana, and senior embassy officials.
[Prime Minister’s Media Division]
News
IGP under pressure to probe latest custodial death

Attorney-at-Law Senaka Perera on behalf of the Committee for Protecting Rights of Prisoners (Guarantee) Limited has asked Acting IGP Priyantha Weerasooriya to inquire into the death of Sathsara Nimesh soon after he was admitted to the Mulleriyawa mental hospital by Welikada police on the night of April 1.
In a letter dated April 3 addressed to the IGP, the lawyer said that the victim’s mother Lekamwasam Liyanage Samanthi, who visited Welikada police station the following day, thad been old that her son made a bid to commit suicide at the police station. Quoting the victim’s mother the lawyer said that the clothes worn by Nimesh at the time he was taken into custody by Welikada police were found within the premises.
Responding to queries, the human rights activist said that Nimesh had been caught by a group of people at Nawala road, Welikada around 7.30 pm-8 pm on April 1. Alleging that Nimesh who had been undergoing training at a private hospital as a caregiver was acting suspiciously, the group called in the police on 119 emergency line and handed him over to the police, Perera said, urging the IGP to ensure that the police followed laid out procedures when dealing with suspects.
The Attorney-at-law said that the victim’s mother had visited Mulleriyawa hospital and was able to speak with a doctor who had been present at the time Nimesh was brought there. The doctor had told her that her son was barely alive at the time he was brought in. Perera alleged that Welikada police made an attempt to allude that Nimesh was mentally unsound. If the police had been genuinely concerned about Nimesh in case he was experiencing sudden difficulty, they should have rushed him to the National Hospital, Perera said.
Acknowledging the need to deal firmly with those who are on the wrong side of the law, the rights group said that the police couldn’t adopt Gestapo-style strategies.
The National People’s Power (NPP) government couldn’t turn a blind eye to what was going on regardless of the change of government in last Sept. There had been at least two recent deaths in police custody, Perera said, referring to an incident in the Kotahena police area in the third week of February this year.
Police shot dead two persons arrested over the killing of Shashi Kumar in a mobile phone shop at Kotahena. Police claimed that law enforcement men had to open fire when the suspects made an attempt to grab a weapon from an officer while being taken to a hideout to recover hidden guns.
Lawyer Perera said that police should be ashamed to repeat a blatant lie often used by them though they knew no one accepted that.
Political parties represented in parliament should take up this matter vigorously, he said, urging the government to put an end to custodial deaths, he said. The lawyer pointed out that the Supreme Court, too, has intervened in the matter and the issue was taken up at the highest level.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
-
News5 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
Sports6 days ago
Sri Lanka’s eternal search for the elusive all-rounder
-
News7 days ago
Gnanasara Thera urged to reveal masterminds behind Easter Sunday terror attacks
-
Sports2 days ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
News6 days ago
ComBank crowned Global Finance Best SME Bank in Sri Lanka for 3rd successive year
-
Features6 days ago
Sanctions by The Unpunished
-
Features6 days ago
More parliamentary giants I was privileged to know
-
Latest News4 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win