News
Procurement of sub-standard medicine: Ex-Health Secy. chaired committee that gave go-ahead

… approved payments to supplier on priority basis
Maligakanda Magistrate Lochana Abeywickrema Weerasinghe said in open Court on Wednesday (13) that the matters already before Court showed the alleged involvement of persons in high positions in the procurement of alleged substandard medicines, The Magistrate ordered the CID investigating the case to immediately arrest and produce all suspects before Court regardless of their standing in the society.
The Magistrate observed that though the requirement for the Cabinet approved emergency purchases was to import from India on credit and supply the medicines, those responsible for the procurement process had selected the suspect tenderer though he specified in his tender documents that raw materials would be imported from India and produced by his company here.
The Magistrate said the whole process appeared to have been manipulated by two or three persons in high positions. The then Secretary had control over these matters and the investigations disclose a questionable and suspicious role in many actions by him. All suspects must be brought before Court, the Magistrate ordered.
The government recently removed Health Secretary Janaka Chandragupta.Deputy Solicitor General Lakmini Girihagama appearing with Senior State Counsel Heshani Wijesinghe making submissions earlier on the progress of the CID investigations said that prior to the Cabinet decision in October 2022, tenders had been called for in September 2022 and the 1st suspect had been selected as the successful tenderer for Human Immunoglobulin and Rituximab.
The DSG said, according to the Chief Accountant Savidra Cooray, the 1st suspect’s company Isolez Biotech Pharma had requested for payments for Rituximab supplied and the Secretary Health had approved the payment of Rs 107,799,481/= in three payments to the first suspect, directing it to be paid on a priority basis.
M.M. Zuhair PC appearing with Anjana Ratnasiri, Duleeka Imbuldeniya and Rizwan Uvais for the 2nd suspect Dr. Kapila Wickramanayake, submitted that the 2nd suspect hadn’t been the Director, Medical Supplies Division, as he was away on a one year assignment in the United Kingdom, from January to December 2022, during which period in 2022 the Health Sector Emergency Procurement Committee (HSEPC), chaired by the Health Secretary and the Technical Evaluation Committee (TEC), were set up and the entire process of calling for tenders, evaluation and selection of the successful tenderers were completed. According to the then Health Secretary’s letter dated 28th October 2022, to the Deputy Director General of Health, the successful tenderers have already been informed of their selection by that time.
After Dr. Wickramanayake returned to Sri Lanka and assumed duties as Director MSD, the penalty payable by the 1st suspect for delayed supply of the pharmaceuticals was recommended by the 3rd and the 2nd suspects for recovery from the 1st suspect. However, the recommended penalty was ordered to be waived by the Secretary Health and was not recovered from the 1st suspect, the supplier of the disputed pharmaceuticals, Counsel submitted.
Nalinda Indatissa PC, appearing for the aggrieved party, said that the Cabinet was aware that these drugs were going to be manufactured in Sri Lanka when approval for emergency purchase was granted by the then Minister of Health.
Ronald Perera PC, appearing for the 4th suspect, said that the MSD officer may have accepted the deliveries without suspecting the alleged forged copy of waiver of registration, that may be due to oversight or negligence as there is no evidence of any complicity with the 1st suspect at the warehouse delivery point but those do not amount to any criminal offence.
In respect of the 1st, 3rd and 5th suspects Attorneys Navin Shanaka, Asoka Serasinghe and a team of several lawyers appeared for them and moved for bail. The Magistrate said a detailed order on the bail applications will be made by her on 27th December.
News
Bribery chief says don’t abuse the term ‘political victimization”

Director General of the Commission to Investigate Allegations of Bribery or Corruption, Ranga Dissanayake, says that the abuse of the term “political victimization” will no longer be tolerated, and those who misuse the term will face strict legal action.
Dissanayake told a media conference held at the CIABOC auditorium: “There is a widespread perception that the law is not effectively enforced in this country. This perception has arisen because, as the President said on Anti-Corruption Day, small fish are caught while the big fish escape. This perception exists for several reasons, including delays in the Bribery or Corruption Investigation Commission’s processes. At times, the public is unaware of the injustices that occur within the Commission.”
Addressing politicians who make public statements, he requested, “I sincerely ask political leaders who issue statements to the media to kindly refer to the Anti-Corruption Act No. 9 of 2023 that you have endorsed. Please refrain from making certain statements without a proper understanding. This law has been enacted independently of any prior connections or influences. I have been in this position since the beginning of this year. The Bribery Commission currently has 31 legal officers, and there is no capacity to recruit additional staff at this time.”
He also highlighted the significant challenges faced by the Commission, revealing that approximately 4,000 unresolved case files remain due to limited resources and personnel. “No matter what we do, people will still ask, ‘How many criminals have been caught?’ This situation is the result of limited resources and staff,” he said.
Dissanayake also said: “If anyone is going to claim political victimization, let them find evidence and prove it. Otherwise, the powers granted by this law will be used against those who make false claims.”
By Pradeep Prasanna Samarakoon
News
SC dismisses 50 petitions, orders enforcing CA ruling on 37 others

Rejection of LG nominations
The Supreme Court on Friday dismissed over 50 petitions challenging the rejection of nomination papers for the upcoming 2025 Local Government Elections.
A total of 53 writ applications and six Fundamental Rights (FR) petitions, filed by political parties and independent groups, were dismissed.
This ruling follows a recent decision by the Court of Appeal, which had ordered the acceptance of 37 nominations that were initially rejected. In a significant move, the Supreme Court Friday instructed the relevant returning officers to accept the previously rejected nominations, aligning with the Court of Appeal’s verdict.
The petitions had been filed by recognized political parties and independent groups who challenged the rejection of their nominations. The reasons for the rejection included issues such as failure to submit certified copies of birth certificates of candidates, failure to submit an official oath, and submitting only photocopies of birth certificates instead of the required certified versions.
By AJA Abeynayake
News
A Year of Growth for Singer Sri Lanka Toastmasters Club

Celebrating a Century of Soft Skills Development with Toastmasters International
The beginning of a new Toastmasters year is always an exciting occasion for clubs worldwide, and this year, the celebration is even more special as Toastmasters International marks its 100th year of developing soft skills in public speaking, effective communication, and leadership.
At the onset of the Toastmasters year on 1st July 2024, with the vision “United Roots, Shared Bloom,” the gavel was passed to TM Chanuka Obeysekera, the 14th President of Singer Sri Lanka Toastmasters Club. This marks another chapter in the club’s commitment to fostering personal development and growth in its members. On 19th September 2024, the club saw a momentous occasion with the installation of new Club Officers and the induction of nine new members.
TM Udani Mendis, a new member of the club, shared her experience: “Toastmasters has transformed my journey into one of self-discovery and empowerment. Each meeting pushes me to overcome my fears and celebrate my progress as a communicator. Through this experience, I’ve grown into a confident leader, ready to inspire others.”
The club provides a safe space where members offer constructive, positive feedback, empowering each other to develop without fear of judgment. The focus is not on perfection, but on constant growth, with each member taking steps towards realizing their potential. The learning experience at the club goes far beyond just delivering speeches. While public speaking is a key focus, the networking opportunities and personal connections made are an integral part of the club’s value. This year, members of the club have also taken up leadership roles within District 82 and Division C. TM Rosanne Ranasinghe was appointed as Division Director, TM Rolinka Perera as Toastmaster Learning Chair of Division C, and TM Viraj Chathuranga as Finance Manager of Division C.
The energy, enthusiasm, and camaraderie shared among members is palpable. The collective commitment to creativity and excellence continues to push the boundaries of what a standard club meeting can achieve. Toastmasters is about both individual achievement and the shared growth of all members, creating a community where bonds are built, experiences are exchanged, and each person is empowered to achieve their full potential.
The club remains committed to its mission – not just to learn, but to teach, inspire, and help others realize their dreams.
-
Business2 days ago
Strengthening SDG integration into provincial planning and development process
-
News6 days ago
Bid to include genocide allegation against Sri Lanka in Canada’s school curriculum thwarted
-
Business1 day ago
New SL Sovereign Bonds win foreign investor confidence
-
Sports3 days ago
To play or not to play is Richmond’s decision
-
Business1 day ago
Daraz Sri Lanka ushers in the New Year with 4.4 Avurudu Wasi Pro Max – Sri Lanka’s biggest online Avurudu sale
-
Latest News5 days ago
IPL 2025: Rookies Ashwani and Rickelton lead Mumbai Indians to first win
-
News6 days ago
SL needs a comprehensive solution, not selective justice: NPC
-
Sports4 days ago
Trinity, St. Anthony’s out to end decade long victory drought