News
Probe into Chinese exit from Cable Car Project
Environment Minister Dammika Patabedi said yesterday he had ordered an inquiry into the withdrawal of China-based Amber Adventures (Private) Ltd., from the Ambuluwawa Cable Car Project.Addressing the media, the Minister said the Environment Ministry had no direct agreement with the company, as the project was under the purview of the Board of Investment (BOI).
He said construction activities within the Ambuluwawa Environmental Zone had been suspended following complaints from environmental organisations in the aftermath of Cyclone Ditwah. All constructions in high-risk areas, he said, had been halted pending clearance by the National Building Research Organisation (NBRO).
According to the Minister, complaints had been received that construction at Ambuluwawa was continuing without NBRO clearance.
In response, the Ministry instructed the Central Environmental Authority (CEA) to conduct an investigation and thereafter construction activities were suspended pending a technical assessment by experts.
The Ministry of Environment subsequently ordered the immediate suspension of all construction activities within the Ambuluwawa Environmental Zone until the assessment was completed, he said, adding that work could resume if expert evaluations cleared the project.
Following the suspension, Amber Adventures (Private) Ltd,, described as the country’s first cable car venture, formally withdrew from the project, citing what it termed “regulatory obstruction and arbitrary state action.”
The company, a major Chinese investor in the project, proposed as Sri Lanka’s first cable car initiative with both Chinese and American investment, officially informed the BOI of its decision on Wednesday (14). In a letter to the BOI, the company said it had obtained all required permits and approvals in line with BOI procedures but faced repeated disruptions that resulted in significant financial losses.
Company Director Yuan Yuping warned that legal action would be pursued at the International Court of Arbitration to recover losses incurred due to the suspension of the project, citing continuous interruptions and government decisions as the cause.
Meanwhile, the Ambuluwawa Trust Board said the withdrawal of investors from the project was a major loss to the country, noting that it was regrettable that decisions had been taken without proper investigation, based on allegations by parties lacking a clear understanding of the facts.
It warned that halting a large-scale project of that nature would result in the loss of direct and indirect employment opportunities, as well as income sources for communities in the surrounding areas.
By Chaminda Silva and SK Samaranayake ✍️
News
Sri Lanka cricket finances ‘greater than feared’: interim chief
(AFP)Financial irregularities surrounding Sri Lankan cricket were far worse than feared, government-appointed administrators said Thursday, promising a full accounting and sweeping reforms.
“We have already ordered a forensic audit of the accounts,” Eran Wickramaratne, interim president of Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC), told his first news conference since taking office last month.
He said financial irregularities were “far greater than initially feared”.
He said the new SLC leadership — handpicked by the government of President Anura Kumara Dissanayake — would bring in sweeping reforms as concerns linger over international sanctions.
The current administration was appointed following the mass resignation of SLC’s elected officials last month — a move that raised fears of possible suspension by the International Cricket Council (ICC) over political interference.
The SLC, the country’s richest sports body, was suspended for two months in 2023 on similar grounds.
Wickramaratne, however, said discussions with the ICC were underway on reforming the SLC.
“Our talks with the ICC have been extremely cordial and constructive,” he said.
“We have been very open and transparent in what we are doing, and they want us to pursue open and transparent methods in doing this.”
Reforms include drafting a new constitution aimed at curbing abuses that allowed groups to retain power for a prolonged period, he added.
Four-time SLC president Shammi Silva and his entire committee stepped down in April after the government intervention, clearing the way for the current overhaul.The previous administration had also faced criticism over the national team’s performances, including an early exit from the T20 World Cup, which Sri Lanka co-hosted with India earlier this year.
News
Police roll out countrywide security plan for Vesak Week
The Police have announced a special islandwide security programme for Vesak Week to ensure the public can observe religious activities in a peaceful and secure environment, free from fear or inconvenience.
The Police Department said the measures have been introduced in view of heightened religious observances across the country during the Vesak season, with Buddhists worldwide preparing to mark Vesak Full Moon Poya Day on 30 May 2026.
Authorities said large crowds are expected at major Buddhist sites, including ancient places of worship, while Vesak lantern displays, pandals and Bhakthi Gee programmes will be held across the island.
Under the special security plan, the Inspector General of Police has directed all police stations to take steps to minimise traffic congestion and ensure public convenience in areas with high footfall.
The Police Department said enhanced day and night mobile patrols will be deployed across all divisions, alongside special security operations aimed at safeguarding public safety and protecting property during the festive period.
Authorities also warned that strict legal action will be taken against individuals or groups whose behaviour is deemed to undermine the dignity and sanctity of Vesak or cause inconvenience to devotees.
In a set of public guidelines issued for the season, the Police Department urged organisers of Dansal programmes to comply with health and safety standards and implement proper crowd management measures to prevent congestion.
The public has also been advised to refrain from behaviour deemed inappropriate for the religious season, avoid excessive noise, and ensure responsible use of loudspeakers with prior approval.
Devotees have been requested to abstain from alcohol and narcotic substances during Vesak activities, while being urged to remain vigilant against theft in crowded areas and ensure the safety of children and elderly persons.
The Police Department further encouraged the public to report emergencies via hotlines 118 and 119, and to submit relevant video footage of traffic violations or environmental offences through designated WhatsApp channels for legal action.
Authorities said the measures are aimed at ensuring that Vesak is observed in a spirit of peace, devotion and public harmony across the country.
News
India, Lanka boost air power ties as IAF Chief visits Colombo
(ANI) May 22:Marking a critical milestone in regional security cooperation, India’s Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal AP Singh, addressed the National Defence College (NDC) in Sri Lanka during his three-day visit to the island nation.
Speaking on the strategic imperative of “Air Power in the 21st Century,” the Air Chief Marshal highlighted the evolving dynamics of modern warfare and the growing necessity of robust bilateral military partnerships in the Indian Ocean Region.
The high-level interaction served as a central fixture of his three-day official visit to the island nation, aimed at anchoring the defence ties between the two neighbours.
Sharing the details in a post on X, the Indian High Commission in Sri Lanka said that the Air Chief also interacted with the Commandant and the National Defence College course participants.
The Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal A P Singh visited the National Defence College, Sri Lanka on 20 May 26. He spoke on the topic ‘Air power in the 21st century’ and interacted with the Commandant and NDC course participants
Earlier on Wednesday, the High Commission shared that the Air Chief was received with a Guard of Honour at SLAF headquarters prior to formal meetings on Tuesday, prior to his call on with the Commander of SLAF.
“He also called on the Deputy Minister of Defence Maj Gen Aruna Jayasekara (Retd), and the Secretary Defence, AVM Sampath Thuyacontha (Retd). ACM A P Singh paid his respects to the IPKF martyrs by laying a wreath at the monument in Bataramulla”, the post added.
Air Chief AP Singh had arrived in Sri Lanka on an official visit from 19-21 May 26.
India and Sri Lanka have a longstanding defence partnership.
Earlier in April, the two countries reaffirmed their growing maritime partnership through the fourth edition of the bilateral diving exercise, IN-SLN DIVEX 2026, conducted at Colombo from April 21-28.
The exercise witnessed participation of the Indian Navy’s Diving Support and Submarine Rescue Vessel, INS Nireekshak, alongside diving teams from both navies- underscoring enhanced operational coordination and professional synergy, the Indian Navy said in a statement.
As India continues to deepen its military engagements with friendly nations, the multilateral military Exercise PRAGATI 2026 commenced on Wednesday at Umroi Military Station, Meghalaya, with the participation of 12 friendly nations, namely Bhutan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Philippines, Seychelles, Sri Lanka and Vietnam.
-
Features4 days agoOctopus, Leech, and Snake: How Sri Lanka’s banks feast while the nation starves
-
News3 days agoSteps underway to safeguard Sri Lanka’s maritime heritage
-
Opinion3 days agoMurder of Ehelepola family, Bogambara Wewa and Sightings of Wangediya
-
Editorial3 days agoA play without its protagonist
-
Sports4 days agoSri Lanka women’s volleyball team ready for Central Asian challenge
-
Midweek Review4 days agoOverall SLPP failures stressed in new Aragalaya narrative
-
Opinion2 days agoThe need to reform Buddhist ecclesiastical order
-
Latest News5 days agoAt least 100 dead in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo, official says
