Latest News
Nearly one-third of women worldwide faced partner or sexual violence: WHO
Nearly one in three women – totalling about 840 million around the world – have experienced intimate partner or sexual violence in their lifetimes, the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a new report.
Released on Wednesday, it also found 316 million women and girls aged 15 and older were subjected to physical or sexual violence by an intimate partner over the past year.
That amounts to about 11 percent of all women and girls in that age bracket globally.
“Violence against women is one of humanity’s oldest and most pervasive injustices yet still one of the least acted upon,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in a statement accompanying the findings.
“No society can call itself fair, safe or healthy while half its population lives in fear. Ending this violence is not only a matter of policy; it is a matter of dignity, equality and human rights. Behind every statistic is a woman or girl whose life has been forever altered.”
Released in advance of the UN’s International Day for the Elimination of Violence Against Women and Girls later this month, the WHO report analysed data from 168 countries collected between 2000 and 2023.
Despite the stark findings, the UN agency warned violence against women remains “a deeply neglected crisis” with efforts to address the problem “critically underfunded”.
It said only 0.2 percent of global aid was allocated to programmes focused on preventing violence against women in 2022.
That funding fell even further this year, the report said, as United States President Donald Trump slashed his country’s foreign aid and development contributions.
The WHO also warned that women and girls in conflict zones or living in other vulnerable situations are particularly at risk of experiencing intimate partner and sexual violence.
“In recent years, the rising number of armed conflicts, protracted crises and environmental degradation and disasters have underscored the increasing risk of violence against women living in these fragile contexts,” the report said.
“The risk of exposure to this violence is heightened by the resulting displacement and insecurity.”
[Aljazeera]
Latest News
Trump directs US government to prepare release of files on aliens and UFOs
US President Donald Trump says he will direct US agencies, including the defence department, to “begin the process of identifying and releasing” government files on aliens and extraterrestrial life.
Trump made the declaration in a post on Truth Social, after he accused Barack Obama earlier in the day of revealing classified information when the former president said “aliens are real” on a podcast last week.
“He’s not supposed to be doing that,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, adding: “He made a big mistake.”
Asked if he also thinks aliens are real, Trump answered: “Well, I don’t know if they’re real or not.”
Former US President Obama told podcast host Brian Tyler Cohen that he thinks aliens are real in an interview released last Saturday.
“They’re real, but I haven’t seen them, and they’re not being kept in Area 51,” Obama said.
“There’s no underground facility unless there’s this enormous conspiracy and they hid it from the president of the United States.”
After the comment made headlines, Obama sought to clarify he thinks it’s statistically likely life exists beyond Earth, given the vastness of the universe.
In a follow-up post on Instagram, Obama, who served as US president between 2009-17, clarified: “I saw no evidence during my presidency that extraterrestrials have made contact with us. Really!”
Obama’s initial comments were made during a quickfire “lightning” round of questions on the podcast.
There was no indication that Obama relied on classified information when he gave the interview. The BBC has contacted Obama for comment. The Democrat and Trump, a Republican, are longstanding mutual political antagonists.
For his part, Trump said on Thursday on Air Force One that while a lot of people believe in the existence of aliens, he never talks about it, and “doesn’t have an opinion on it”.
Then a few hours later, he posted on Truth Social that “based on the tremendous interest shown” he will seek the release of files “related to alien and extraterrestrial life, unidentified aerial phenomena (UAP), and unidentified flying objects (UFOs), and any and all other information connected to these highly complex, but extremely interesting and important, matters”.
In a 2024 report, the Pentagon said there was no evidence that the US government had encountered alien life, and that most UFO sightings were just ordinary objects.
In 2023, the US House of Representatives held a panel on unidentified anomalous phenomenon (UAPs), known more colloquially as UFOs.
The hearing produced no major bombshells or confirmation of alien life.
[BBC]
Latest News
‘Best time to crush’ Australia, says Oman captain Jatinder Singh
Oman have suffered three heavy defeats to Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, and Ireland at the 2026 T20 World Cup, and had been thumped by Australia the only other time these two teams met, at the 2024 edition. But captain Jatinder Singh says his team sees their final match of this tournament as an opportunity to surprise a wounded Australia team.
Australia have nothing to gain from the match against Oman in Pallekele on Friday, aside from preserving some pride. Perhaps the gloom around the Australia camp will give Oman an opening. In fact it might be “the best time to crush them”.
“One hundred percent this is an opportunity,” Jatinder said. “And our boys are looking forward to it. Because T20 is a game of momentum and the moments, and if you play those moments right, you can do anything on that particular day. Australia is not doing well at the moment… it is the best time to crush them.
“The boys are really positive. They are looking forward to the match against Australia to make their mark.”
On how to make Oman more competitive in the long term, Jatinder believed franchise cricket opportunities for Oman players could be one route. Oman did not have a heavy cricket schedule in 2025, playing only 15 T20Is that year in addition to eight ODIs.
“Well if I have to sum up how Oman can improve, it would be if we have the franchise cricket happening in the country or our guys get a chance to play franchise cricket elsewhere,” Jatinder said. “I think we can fill that gap and they can bring vast amount of experience for our national team.
“But if we don’t get to play competitive cricket, whereas other teams are getting to play the competitive cricket, we will need to fill that gap. There have been instances where we’ve been inviting the teams to come and play in Oman. The response has been really delayed, or we don’t get any response. So I think if we have the franchise cricket, that would really fill the gap.”
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
Vanquished Australia eye winning end to dreadful World Cup campaign
Oman made a couple of changes in the last two fixtures without success. Shakeel Ahmed went in and out of the side in the three games, but picked three wickets against Ireland and should keep his place. Jatinder might look at giving top-order batter Karan Sonavale another go.
[Cricbuzz]
-
Life style6 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business5 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features6 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features6 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features6 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News6 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News6 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Sports1 day agoOld and new at the SSC, just like Pakistan
