Connect with us

News

Lawyer’s killing: UNP wants AG to intervene to set up police probe

Published

on

… calls for resignation of Public Security Minister

The UNP has urged the Attorney General, who is the head of the Official Bar, to ensure the appointment of a suitable police team to investigate last Friday’s killing of Attorney-at-Law Buddhika Mallawaarachchi and his wife at Akuregoda. The UNP, in a statement issued yesterday (16), emphasised that the consent of the Bar Association of Sri Lanka must also be obtained.

The UNP said that the killing posed a serious threat to the integrity of Asia’s oldest Western-based legal system.

Referring to international precedents, the UNP stated that the killing of lawyers and constant death threats in the American continent had resulted in the closing of 70% of law offices in one district in Mexico.

It further recalled that a prosecutor in Ecuador and the President of the Port-au-Prince Bar Association in Haiti had been assassinated.

In addition, many lawyers, representing cartel leaders, have come under threat. Similarly, lawyers in British Columbia have been threatened with serious physical harm, and the Law Society of British Columbia recently issued notices advising members to seek police assistance if threats are made, it said.

The UNP has observed that in Sri Lanka these killings took place against a background of the Inspector General of Police taking a partisan stance against lawyers in a dispute between a lawyer and a policeman prior to the completion of the inquiry. In this instance, within two hours of the incident, the police, without an inquiry, stated that the shooting had been carried out by an organised criminal, the UNP has said, noting that this raises questions about the ability or willingness of the police to carry out investigations.

The UNP has said:

1. Minister of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs Ananda Wijepala, who is responsible for the deterioration of law and order, including these killings, must resign.

2. The Attorney General, as the head of the Official Bar, in discussion with the Inspector General of Police, must ensure the appointment of a suitable Police team to investigate this matter. The consent of the Sri Lanka Bar Association must also be obtained.

3. The government must take administrative and if necessary legislative measures to give effect to Article 9.4 of Luxemburg Convention – Council of Europe Convention for the Protection of the Lawyers Article 9.4. The Commonwealth Association on 09 January 2026 has also endorsed this Convention stating “if the lawyer is not protected then no one is protected”.

The UNP has said it stands in solidarity with the legal community and support efforts to ensure adequate protection for lawyers.



Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

CEB seeking tariff hike while making huge profits, says opposition trade union leader

Published

on

Ananda Palitha

Convenor of the Samagi Joint Trade Union Alliance affiliated with the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, Ananda Palitha, yesterday (16) said that the Ceylon Electricity Board was seeking to raise electricity tariffs by 13.56% percent although it had earned a profit of more than Rs 22,000 mn.

The CEB recently submitted its proposal to the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) for an electricity tariff revision for the second quarter of this year – the period effective from April 1 to June 30.

Palitha alleged that the PUCSL, in spite of knowing the massive profit earned by the CEB, at the expense of the hapless public, had chosen to allow the state enterprise to propose an additional burden.

The economic, technical and safety regulator of the electricity industry, and the designated regulator for petroleum and water services industries, should exercise its powers in terms of the PUCSL Act No. 35 of 2002 and the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 20 of 2009 to provide relief, the veteran trade unionist said.

Palitha emphasised that the PUCSL had the right to intervene on behalf of electricity consumers but, unfortunately, chose to facilitate the CEB’s despicable strategy. “The proposal to increase tariffs by 13.56% was meant to divert attention. The real issue at hand is the percentage of electricity tariff reduction,” Palitha said. The former UNPer found fault with the Opposition for failing to expose the CEB.

Taking into consideration the Rs 22,000 millionplus profit, the PUCSL could order the CEB to grant relief to consumers, Palitha said, adding that the CEB and PUCSL, together, deprived electricity consumers tariff reduction in the first quarter of this year, too.

In January this year, the CEB asked for a 11.59% tariff increase though it was enjoying Rs 22,000 mn profit at that time, the trade unionist said.

Palitha said that as the PUCSL received all data available to the CEB it was fully aware of the finances of the state enterprise.

In January, 2025, regardless of the NPP government floating the idea regarding as much as a 37% tariff increase, the PUCSL granted a 20% tariff reduction (25% of Rs 22,000 mn profit), Palitha said.

According to him, as a result of relief granted to the consumers, the profits had been reduced to Rs 16,000 mn but by June 2025 profits had increased to Rs 18,000 mn and there was a need to grant tariff reduction. But, the NPP, having always lashed out at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in the run up to the presidential election, held in September 2024, started playing a different tune.

Responding to The Island queries, Palitha said that contrary to claims that the CEB proposed a 13.56% tariff increase to cover up losses caused by the importation of low-quality coal for the Norochcholai Lakvijaya coal-fired power plant, the current strategy seemed to have been adopted at the behest of the IMF.

Instead of granting tariff reduction for the third quarter in 2025, the PUCSL ordered an 18% increase, Palitha said. The trade unionist claimed that the Finance Ministry, at the behest of the IMF, directed both the CEB and the PUCSL to increase electricity tariffs by 20% in violation of the relevant Acts, he said.

Then in Oct, 2025, the CEB proposed a 6.8 % tariff increase at a time its profits were around Rs 22,000 mn. The CEB and PUCSL staged a drama over that proposal and finally, on the false pretext of the CEB’s failure to furnish its proposal on time, the revision was dropped, Palitha said. The SJB activist pointed out that the Opposition failed to highlight that consumers had been deprived of downward revision in spite of massive profits earned by the Board. “In fact, when Energy Minister Kumara Jayakody met trade unions, he very clearly declared that they were considering electricity power reduction, perhaps by 10%, 12% or 15%. But in the end nothing happened.”

Now the same drama is being enacted by the government, the CEB and the PUCSL, Palitha said.

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Continue Reading

News

BASL protest march

Published

on

BASL President Rajeev Amarasuriya addressing the media at the BASL Head Office, Colombo, yesterday (16). He demanded that the government apprehend those responsible for the killing of a lawyer and his wife at Akuregoda, close to the tri-forces headquarters on Friday (13). Pic by Nishan S. Priyantha

Members of the BASL yesterday (16) staged a protest march over the murder of a lawyer and his wife in Akuregoda, Thalangama, last week. The BASL staged a protest march from the Supreme Court Complex to the BASL Head Office.

Continue Reading

News

IMF MD here

Published

on

Kristalina

Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Kristalina Georgieva arrived in Colombo yesterday (16) for top level discussions with the government. She is scheduled to leave tomorrow (18) after meeting government authorities and key stakeholders, observing firsthand the impact of Cyclone Ditwah, and discussing ways in which the IMF could support recovery efforts and contribute to building a more resilient future for all Sri Lankans, sources said.

Continue Reading

Trending