Sports
Harmanpreet leads dominant MI to fourth straight win
A dominant half-century from Harmanpreet Kaur, coupled with impressive performances with the bat from Yastika Bhatia and Nat Sciver-Brunt helped Mumbai Indians register their fourth straight win in the inaugural Women’s Premier League. Half-centuries from Alyssa Healy and Tahlia McGrath appeared to be enough initially to inflict the first loss for MI in their campaign but the table-toppers eventually cruised to victory in pursuit of 160 with 15 balls to spare following a century stand.
Brief scores:
UP Warriorz 159/6 in 20 overs (Alyssa Healy 58, Tahlia McGrath 50; Saika Ishaque 3/33) lost to Mumbai Indians Women 164/2 in 17.3 overs (Harmanpreet Kaur 53*, Nat Sciver-Brunt 45*, Yastika Bhatia 42) by 8 wickets.
Latest News
New Bangladesh sports minister wants to fast track cases against Shakib and Mortaza
Bangladesh’s new sports minister Aminul Haque has said that the government will fast track the procedures in the cases against Shakib Al Hassan and Mashrafe Mortaza so that the two former Awami League members of parliament can return to cricket swiftly.
Haque, a former Bangladesh football captain, is among 49 new central and state ministers appointed on Tuesday after the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) came to power by winning the general elections held on February 12. Haque said that the new government would be “tolerant and flexible” on the former Bangladesh captains against whom several cases were filed after the Awami League government fell in 2024.
“The government will deal with the matter concerning Shakib and Mashrafe. We will remain tolerant and flexible on them,” Haque said. “The cases against them will be handled by the government. We want Shakib to return to Bangladesh. We hope those will be resolved swiftly so they can return. We also want Shakib and Mashrafe back in Bangladesh cricket.”
Shakib hasn’t been back in Bangladesh since May 2024 – he is based in the USA for the past few years. Though he hasn’t played for Bangladesh since October 2024, he has been in action in franchise T20 leagues, including the PSL and the CPL. During a recent interview to the Beard Before Wicket podcast, Shakib announced that he had reversed his decision to retire from international cricket. He said that he wanted to retire after playing a full international series, though he didn’t put a timeline to it.
“I am officially not retired from all formats. This is the first time I’ll be revealing that. My plan is to go back to Bangladesh, play one full series of ODI, Test, and T20, and retire,” he had said in December last year. “I mean, I can retire from all formats in a series. So it can start from T20I, ODI and Test, or Test, ODI, T20I. Either way, I’m fine, but I want to play a whole series and retire. That’s what I want.”
Mashrafe, meanwhile, has been out of the public eye since August 2024, with very little known about his whereabouts. He was still playing in the Dhaka Premier League in 2024 despite playing his last international match in 2020. Mashrafe was serving his second term as an Awami League MP when the government was overthrown by a revolution led by students in August that year.
On the subject of the BCB elections held last year, Haque said the proceedings were “questionable”. Haque was reportedly backing the Tamim Iqbal-led alliance, which pulled out of the race citing corruption and unfair practices at the time.
“I have said it before and I will say it again: it was a questionable election of the BCB,” Haque said. “But since I am now in a responsible position, I will sit down with them and discuss how we can move to a better stage.”
His predecessor as BCB president, Aminul Islam, has reportedly left the country last week.
[Cricinfo]
Latest News
India look to go into Super Eight stage with all-win record
No matter how good you are or how likely you are to win or how forgiving the schedule is, a World Cup brings its own unique challenges and stakes, especially at home, especially given the current geopolitics of the region this home is in. India have been comfortable victors in all three matches so far but haven’t yet been able to unleash the style of play that they want to.
The last of these three matches was one in which India had all to lose. Nothing rode on the match against Pakistan in terms of progression or whom they face in the Super Eights, yet they couldn’t afford to lose. Such overwhelming favourites losing to underdogs in the current geopolitical climate would have been massive outside the purview of this tournament. A win, however, merely reaffirmed their status as the favourites.
Now India will look to go back to try to score big. They haven’t yet scored more than 209 despite batting first in all three games. Ahmedabad at night is the perfect scenario for them. Four of the last five first innings in Ahmedabad in the night have been over 210.
Netherlandswill want to prove they are not mere props, a vehicle to see how much India can push the limits of what scores are absurd. They were within one catch of beating Pakistan, they beat Namibia, and will want to show they are no pushovers.
India will want to bat first should they win the toss, but it will be interesting to see whether Netherlands want to avoid an impossible target or do what teams do to give themselves the best chance to win in the night in Ahmedabad.
He is the best T20 batter in the world, but Abhishek Sharma’s initiation to the World Cup has been an inauspicious one: golden duck, stomach illness, four-ball duck. And it doesn’t say anything about Abhishek’s skill or temperament. It is just one of those things. But Abhishek will want to get it out of the way so it doesn’t weigh on him in the Super Eights.
Netherlands will look to borrow from Abhishek’s first two dismissals in the World Cup. As it is, they like to open the bowling with offspinner Aryan Dutt. . After Salman Agha tied Abhishek down for three balls and got him out off the fourth, this belief will be reaffirmed. Do mind, though, that Ahmedabad is no Colombo. You can trust yourself to clear the infield on this batting paradise.
Outside of Harshit Rana’s last-minute injury and withdrawal from the tournament, all other availability issues that India faced are now sorted. The only change they will likely make is go back to Arshdeep Singh ahead of Kuldeep Yadav on the quicker Ahmedabad surface.
India (probable): Abhishek Sharma, Ishan Kishan (wk), Tilak Varma, Suryakumar Yadav (capt), Hardik Pandya, Rinku Singh, Shivam Dube, Axar Patel, Arshdeep Singh, Jasprit Bumrah, Varun Chakravarthy.
Netherlands have been alternating between Timm van der Gugten and Kyle Klein in their first three matches. Paul van Meekeren has played only one of their three matches, making way for left-arm quick Fred Klaasen. It will eventually come down to two of three quicks.
Netherlands (probable): Michael Levitt, Max O’Dowd, Bas de Leede, Colin Ackermann, Scott Edwards (capt & wk), Zach Lion-Cachet, Logan van Beek, Aryan Dutt, Roelof van der Merwe, two out of Kyle Klein, Fred Klaassen and Paul van Meekeren.
[Cricinfo]
Sports
Nissanka ton knocks Australia out as Sri Lanka script Pallekele heist
Cricket, as they say, is a funny old game. Barely a fortnight after being booed off this very stadium following a humbling 3-0 drubbing by England, Sri Lanka were hoisted on shoulders and hailed as heroes on Monday night as they sent Australia packing from the World Cup with a performance that had nerve, nous and no shortage of swagger.
Kandy, which had turned hostile earlier this month, was suddenly awash with jubilation. Fans burned the midnight oil, firecrackers lit up the hill capital and chants echoed long after the winning run was scored. There is no sweeter music in Sri Lankan cricket than the sound of Australia being knocked out of a tournament.
Australia had come out all guns blazing. At 100 for no loss in eight overs, with the Power Play carnage extending into the middle phase, the former champions looked set to bat Sri Lanka out of the contest. It was leather on willow and Sri Lanka were staring down the barrel.
Then the tide turned.
The spinners applied the handbrake on a surface that offered just enough grip, bowling with discipline and clever changes of pace to drag things back from the brink. The squeeze was relentless. Boundaries dried up, risks multiplied and panic crept in.
At the death, Dushmantha Chameera was ice-cool under pressure. Nailing his yorkers and varying his pace cleverly, he denied Australia the late surge that so often proves decisive. What followed was a collapse of dramatic proportions, six wickets for 21 runs, as Australia were bundled out for 180, a total that looked well below par given their flying start.
“We knew this was a 200 wicket,” Pathum Nissanka told reporters. “When Australia were bowled out for 180, we believed we could chase it down. But we had to be watchful and plan well.”
What followed was a run chase for the ages.
Knockout games against Australia are rarely strolls in the park. More often than not, they are arm-wrestles that go down to the wire. But Sri Lanka got home with two overs to spare, a statement win carved out with composure rather than brute force.
For years, Sri Lanka have bemoaned the absence of a power-hitter in the mould of David Miller, Hardik Pandya or Tim David, men who can clear the ropes at will. Nissanka, however, proved that timing can trump muscle.
His hundred was worth its weight in gold.
Elegant rather than explosive, he peppered the boundary with five sixes of the highest quality, each one greeted by a roar that rolled down from the Pallekele stands. The pick of the lot was a reverse-swept six off the left-arm spinner that had audacity written all over it.
“I loved that reverse-swept six,” Nissanka said. “I knew that area was vacant but you had to execute well. I’m glad it paid off.”
It was the first hundred of this World Cup and a landmark knock for the 27-year-old, who became the first Sri Lankan to score two T20I centuries.
“Scoring a hundred in a World Cup has always been my dream,” he added. “I’m glad I achieved that today.”
If Nissanka was the architect, Kusal Mendis was the steady hand on the tiller. His mature approach at the top ensured Sri Lanka did not lose wickets in clusters, and his game awareness, particularly regarding the dew, proved crucial.
“Kusal batted so well and told me the dew would come in,” Nissanka said. “We had to make sure we didn’t take undue risks. We planned well and are happy to be through to the second round.”
That clarity of thought, so conspicuously absent during the England series, was evident throughout the chase. Sri Lanka rotated strike smartly, picked their moments to attack and refused to be drawn into a slugfest.
The victory ensured Sri Lanka became the first team from Group ‘B’ to seal passage into the second round, where sterner tests await in the form of England, Pakistan and New Zealand.
Rex Clementine at Pallekele
-
Life style3 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business2 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features3 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Opinion6 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features3 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features3 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News3 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News3 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
