Connect with us

News

Global leaders mourn Iranian President Raisi’s death

Published

on

Conspiracy theories have sprung to life

Iran declares five days of mourning 

Vice-President Mohammad Mokhber named successor

Iranian State media yesterday confirmed the death of the country’s President, Ebrahim Raisi in a helicopter crash in a mountainous area of north-western Iran, along with Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian.

They were killed after the helicopter they were travelling in came down on Sunday.

BBC said Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei had announced five days of mourning following the death of Raisi. Ayatollah Khamenei said he offered his condolences “to the dear people of Iran”.

Vice-President Mohammad Mokhber has been appointed to assume interim duties after the death of the President.

Mokhber will work with the heads of Iran’s legislature and judiciary to prepare for a presidential election within 50 days – a period of time set out in Iran’s Constitution for replacing a President who dies in office.

Iran’s cabinet has also appointed deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani as acting Foreign Minister.

Meanwhile, The Telegraph said that it did not take long for the first accusations of foul play to appear on Iranian state television following the announcement that Raisi had died in a helicopter crash.

Most reports, for now, focus on the poor, foggy conditions the craft was flying near the border between Iran and Azerbaijan, as well as the ageing nature of Iran’s fleet.

There have not been formal claims that the helicopter was tampered with on the ground or during its flight.

But it is, at the least, an unfortunate time for an Iranian leader to fall victim to an accident: the Islamic Republic is engaged in an increasingly open war with Israel, inviting Western pressure with its support for Russia’s war in Ukraine, but also facing ongoing resistance on its own streets.

Sky News Australia said: Macquarie University Research Fellow Kylie Moore-Gilbert says she thinks there will be a “huge number” of conspiracy theories flooding the internet if it is confirmed Iran’s President has died following a helicopter crash. Ms Moore-Gilbert said within moments of reports emerging of the crash, the conspiracy theories “already started swirling”. “All the conspiracy theories have already started swirling – it’s Mossad, it’s the Americans, it could be disgruntled people within Iran. “Iran they love their conspiracy theories, as do any people in an authoritarian regime where you can’t trust state media and propaganda abounds. “I think we’ll see a huge number of those conspiracy theories flooding the internet if it is confirmed he has died.”

BBC said it had been initially reported that the helicopter carrying the men and their entourage had made a hard landing in foggy conditions.

The area where the aircraft came down is close to the border with Azerbaijan, where Raisi had been meeting President Ilham Aliyev. He was there to open the Qiz Qalasi and Khodaafarin dams.

On Monday, the Iranian Red Crescent confirmed that the bodies of the president and others who died in the crash had been recovered and search operations had ended.

“We are in the process of transferring the bodies of the martyrs to Tabriz [in Iran’s north-west],” the organisation’s chief said on state TV.

Iranian news outlet Tasnim, which is affiliated to the country’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps, reported that President Ebrahim Raisi’s funeral will be held on Tuesday in Tabriz.

The Economic Times of India

said that Social media was abuzz with conspiracy theories about the death Raisi in a helicopter crash.

Occurring amid the Israel-Hamas war in which Iran-backed militant groups Hezbollah and the Houthis are also attacking Israel, Raisi’s accidental death will make Israel a suspect, especially after Israel’s alleged strike on April 1 on Iranian consulate in Damascus, the capital of Syria, killing seven officers of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, including two senior commanders, which provoked Iran to launch a missile-and-drone attack on Israel, the first direct conflict in an old shadow war between the two countries.

A report published by WION said that Israel on Monday (May 20) denied any involvement in the death of Raisi. Speaking to the news agency Reuters, an Israeli official, who chose to remain anonymous, said, “It wasn’t us.”

Raisi, Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian, and other Iranian officials were killed in a helicopter crash in mountainous terrain near the Azerbaijan border. Raisi, a hardliner seen as a potential successor to Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was 63 years old at the time of his death.

The Israeli government has officially not commented on Raisi’s death yet.

Global leaders on Monday expressed their condolences over the death of Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi in a helicopter crash



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy

Published

on

By

The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year. [

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland will join the Netherlands, Scotland, Thailand, the UAE and Papua New Guinea (PNG) in the 10-team championship. The decision was among the key outcomes of the ICC Chief Executives Committee (CEC) meeting conducted online on Thursday.
The inaugural edition of the championship was held in Bangkok from November 20 to 30 and featured Scotland, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda and Tanzania, besides hosts Thailand. Thailand emerged champions after four teams – the hosts, UAE, Scotland and the Netherlands – finished level on points. The champions were eventually identified on net run rate.
The ICC, under the chairmanship of Jay Shah, intends to give a major fillip to women’s cricket – a move similar to the one that had far-reaching implications for the women’s game in India during his tenure as BCCI secretary. Following the blockbuster Women’s World Cup, which recorded unprecedented global viewership and was incidentally won by India, the ICC is now aiming to make women’s cricket the most popular women’s sport in the world.

In this context, the CEC received a presentation from McKinsey & Company, which advised the ICC on a strategy refresh for women’s cricket. The firm also presented recommendations on how the ICC could potentially increase its revenues tenfold over the next decade.
The ICC also heard presentations from representatives of Oliver Wyman on its data monetisation project. The governing body is keen to create a centralised data hub that could potentially generate revenues of at least $100 million. FIFA and the ATP Tour, it is understood, earn close to $200 million each from their respective data platforms.
As previously reported by this website, there was no discussion on men’s cricket matters such as the restructuring of the World Test Championship (WTC) or the proposed two-tier Test system. Those issues have been left to the ICC Board, which is scheduled to meet in Ahmedabad on May 30.
Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Trending