Connect with us

News

Easter Sunday carnage:Pope wants truth unveiled

Published

on

The Pope greeting Sri Lankan Catholics in St. Peter’s Basilica, in Rome, on 25.04.2022.  (Vatican Media)

Pope Francis on Monday expressed his closeness with the families of the victims of Sri Lanka’s Easter Sunday bombings three years ago, and urged the country’s authorities to unveil the truth behind the attacks, saying it would usher in peace, accordign to Vatican News (VN).  He also prayed that the country be able to tide over its worst economic crisis in memory.

The Pope was addressing some 3,500 Sri Lankan Catholics working in Italy, including a delegation of the families of victims and survivors of the 2019 terrorist bomb attacks, led by Archbishop

Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith of Colombo, the VN report said.

“Some 270 people were killed, including at least 45 foreign nationals and some 500 were injured, as three Churches and three luxury hotels were hit in a series of coordinated Islamist terrorist suicide bomb attacks on April 21, 2019.

“Most of the casualties took place in St. Sebastian’s Catholic Church, in the suburb of Negombo, belonging to Cardinal Ranjith’s Archdiocese of Colombo, where 113 died. The other Churches hit were St. Anthony’s Shrine in Kochchikade, also of Colombo Archdiocese, and the Evangelical Zion Church of Batticaloa, on the eastern coast.

“The outspoken Cardinal has been vigorously calling for justice, alleging that the government has been covering up the investigations into the bombings in order to protect the brains behind them.

“Speaking to the Sri Lankan group, at the end of a Mass celebrated by Cardinal Ranjith, in St. Peter’s Basilica, in the Vatican, Pope Francis noted that they were gathered there to mark the “anniversary of the tragic events which, on Easter Day 2019, sowed death and terror in Sri Lanka”. “Today you have offered the Eucharistic Sacrifice in suffrage for the victims of those terrible attacks, and you have prayed for those injured – some of whom are present here – and for their families, as well as for all the people of Sri Lanka. With all my heart I join you in prayer.”

“Assuring them with the Easter greeting of the Risen Lord, “Peace be with you”, he said.  “In the face of the horror and absurdity of certain acts, which seem impossible to be committed by people,” he explained, “it is evident it is the work of the Evil One.”

“He said this explains why “the Son of God, the Innocent, the Holy, the Righteous, had to die crucified to save us”.  “He took upon himself not only death, but the cruelty of evil, hatred, fratricidal violence. His Cross and his Resurrection are light of hope in the thickest darkness,” the Pope said, urging the Sri Lankan Catholics to “pray for all the victims of violence and war, especially terrorism”.

“Pope Francis made an appeal to the authorities of Sri Lanka regarding the Easter bombings.  “Please, out of love for justice, out of love for your people, let it be made clear once and for all who were responsible for these events,” he said, assuring, “This will bring peace to your conscience and to your country.”

“The Holy Father told the Catholics that he also wanted to join them to pray for their homeland, which he visited in 2015.  “Let us pray for the rulers, for those who have social and educational responsibilities and for all the people,” the Pope said.  “May the present difficulties be solved with the commitment and collaboration of all,” he urged.

“The Holy Father was referring to Sri Lanka’s worst economic nightmare in its history since its independence from British rule in 1948.  With foreign exchange reserves abysmally low, the South Asian nation is struggling to import essential goods, such as food, fuel, cooking gas and medicine, and is facing power cuts of up to 13 hours a day.   The devaluation of its currency has sent inflation soaring to 21.5 per cent in March, the highest so far, hitting the already struggling businesses and exporters but especially the people.

“Sri Lanka has been roiled with nationwide protests demanding the resignation of President Rajapaksa and his government over the unprecedented crisis blamed on rank corruption and mismanagement.

“In conclusion, Pope Francis imparted his blessing on the Sri Lankan community, inviting them to pray for the Church in Sri Lanka that it be filled with the Holy Spirit and joyfully announce the Gospel of Christ the Saviour.

“Cardinal Ranjith marked the 3rd anniversary of the Easter Sunday bombings with a ceremony at St. Sebastian’s Church on Thursday.  Without mincing words, he blamed President Gotabaya Rajapaksa and his government for failing to keep his pledge to grant justice to the victims and cleansing the country of “all elements of terror”.

“The incumbent president who campaigned on a promise to investigate the attack have forgotten all those promises, brushed commission findings under the rug, attempted to hide facts,” Cardinal Ranjith said.  Condemning the coverup, he warned that “everyone responsible for this will suffer the consequences of their actions soon”.

“The cardinal has also been blaming the government for the current economic crunch, calling for unity among politicians to save the nation from becoming a failed state.”



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Landslide Early Warnings issued to the districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura

Published

on

By

The National Building Research Organisation [NBRO] has issued landslide early warnings to the Districts of Colombo, Gampaha, Kalutara, Kegalle, Nuwara Eliya and Ratnapura valid from 09:00 hrs on 23.05.2026 to 09:00 hrs on 24.05.2026

Accordingly,
LEVEL III [RED] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Deraniyagala, Ruwanwella and Dehiowita in the Kegalle district and Ratnapura, Ayagama, Kuruwita and Eheliyagoda in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL II [AMBER] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Seethawaka and Padukka in the Colombo district, Attanagalla in the Gampaha district, Palindanuwara, Ingiriya, Bulathsinhala and Horana in the Kalutara district, Yatiyanthota in the Kegalle district and Pelmadulla, Kiriella, Kalawana, Nivithigala and Elapatha in the Ratnapura district.

LEVEL I [YELLOW] landslide early warnings have been issued to the Divisional Secretaries Divisions and surrounding areas of Divulapitiya and Mirigama in the Gampaha district, Mathugama and Agalawatta in the Kalutara district, Bulathkohupitiya in the Kegalle district, and Ambagamuwa in the Nuwara Eliya district.

,

.

Continue Reading

Latest News

Most people seeking green cards must now apply from outside US

Published

on

By

The US has announced a new policy that means most immigrants seeking a green card will have to leave the country and apply at an embassy or consulate abroad.

The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) said on Friday that people seeking a change in status must do so through consular processing outside of the country “except in extraordinary circumstances”.

The move – a part of the Trump administration’s effort to curtail illegal immigration – closes a loophole that had allowed visa holders and visitors to apply for a green card while still in the US.

Critics of the policy say the longstanding system allowed families to stay together during the lengthy application process.

The new method could also make it difficult or impossible for some immigrants who leave the country in hopes of gaining a green card to return.

The USCIS policy memo states that people such as students, temporary workers or people on tourist visas need to go through the Department of State from outside of the US.

“When aliens apply from their home country, it reduces the need to find and remove those who decide to slip into the shadows and remain in the US illegally after being denied residency,” USCIS said, making the system “fairer and more efficient”.

On X, the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees USCIS, said: “The era of abusing our nation’s immigration system is over.”

“We’re returning to the original intent of the law to ensure aliens navigate our nation’s immigration system properly,” USCIS Spokesman Zach Kahler said.

“From now on, an alien who is in the US temporarily and wants a green card must return to their home country to apply, except in extraordinary circumstances,” he continued.

Kahler said the policy allows the immigration system “to function as the law intended instead of incentivising loopholes” and that visits “should not function as the first step in the green gard process”.

It is unclear whether pending green card applications will be affected.

A spokesperson for the USCIS told the BBC that as the policy is rolled out, “people who present applications that provide an economic benefit or otherwise are in the national interest will likely be able to continue on their current path”.

“Others may be asked to apply abroad depending on individualised circumstances,” it said.

Being a green card holder, or lawful permanent resident, allows a person to live and work permanently in the US. Obtaining one is a multi-step process that can take months to several years.

There are currently more than a million legal immigrants waiting for approval on their adjustment of status green card applications, according to the Cato Institute’s director of immigration studies.

Kahler argued that following the law allows the majority of cases to be handled by the US State Department at consular offices abroad and frees up USCIS resources to focus on processing other cases that fall under its purview – such as visas for victims of violent crime and human trafficking, naturalisation applications, and other priorities.

The move is consistent with longstanding immigration law and immigration court decisions, the agency said. Immigration officers are being directed to “consider all relevant factors and information on a case-by-case basis when determining whether an alien warrants this extraordinary form of relief”.

Michael Valverde, who was a senior official at USCIS under both Republican and Democratic administrations until his departure last year, said to the BBC’s US media partner CBS that Friday’s announcement would “disrupt the plans of hundreds of thousands of families and employers annually”.

“This is a largely unprecedented move that will limit lawful immigration to the US greatly,” Valverde said. “People who followed the rules faithfully now face tremendous uncertainty.”

The Trump administration has instated bans or restrictions on citizens from nearly 40 countries.

Another policy from the administration this year has paused all visa issuances to immigrant visa applicants from 75 countries.

Overstaying a US visa can lead to deportation, ineligibility for future visas and re-entry bans lasting up to 10 years, according to the US State Department.

[BBC]

Continue Reading

Latest News

Flood warning issued to the Aththanagalu Oya basin extended until 0600AM on Monday [25]

Published

on

By

The warning mentioned in the flood warning message No. 01 issued for the Aththanagalu Oya basin on 22.05.2026 at about 5.30 am will be extended for the next 48 hours.

It is requested that residents in the area and vehicle drivers running through those areas  pay high attention in this regard by the . Disaster Management Authorities are requested to take adequate precautions in this regard

Continue Reading

Trending