Connect with us

News

Crisis: Sabry faults ‘handful of persons’ but won’t accept charge of economic crimes

Published

on

By Shamindra Ferdinando

Foreign Minister Ali Sabry has reiterated that a handful of persons who advised President Gotabaya Rajapaksa caused the unprecedented economic meltdown.

Sabry has alleged that politicians, officials, public sector as well as the trade unions are responsible for the crisis.

The Minister said so in response to ‘Hiru’ anchor Chamuditha Samarawickrema seeking an explanation regarding the Geneva-based United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) taking up the contentious issue of economic crimes in Sri Lanka.

In a wide-ranging interview on ‘Salakuna’ on Monday (10), Sabry repeated the accusations that he had made in June in his capacity as the Finance Minister following talks with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in Washington.

However, Minister Sabry declined to call those responsible ‘economic assassins’ or categorise their actions ‘economic crimes.’ But he acknowledged that as a member of the Cabinet-of-Ministers he had also been named a respondent in Court cases in this regard.

Sabry stressed that he didn’t believe that those who had been blamed for the crisis did so purposely though the then President Gotabaya Rajapaksa acted recklessly, on advice received, without taking sufficient safeguards.

The Bar Association of Sri Lanka (BASL) is among the parties to move the apex court over the unprecedented financial meltdown.

The panel of interviewers, comprising Chamuditha Samarawickrema, Madushan de Silva and Kalindu Vithanage, repeatedly pointed out that the denial of basic requirements could be considered violation of human rights.

When the panel pointed out that Minister Sabry essentially agreed with the views expressed by the international community, and other interested parties, as regards economic crimes, the lawmaker said that in spite of the deteriorating crisis, still those responsible continued to make promises, at the expense of economic stability. Minister Sabry cited the recent declaration of free mid-day meal as a case in point. Such promises were made without making required financial provisions, the Minister added.

Minister Sabry said that he wouldn’t under any circumstances,defend the indefensible and alleged that the country wouldn’t have been in this mess if not for arrogant conduct of the decision-makers.

Sabry compared how Dr. Indrajith Coomaraswamy in his capacity as the Governor of the Central Bank (June 2016-Dec. 2019) had successfully handled an impending crisis due to the response of those at the helm following the last presidential election, in Nov. 2019 before it developed into a catastrophe.

The Minister said that as the former Finance Minister he took the responsibility for the declaration of default status by Central Bank Governor Dr. Nandalal Weerasinghe in the second week of April this year. Emphasising that there was absolutely no uncertainty regarding that decision taken, Minister Sabry said that in addition to the Finance Secretary, Mahinda Siriwardana, and Dr. Weerasinghe, the government had consulted a three-member committee of economic and fiscal experts of the Presidential Advisory Group, Dr. Indrajith Coomaraswamy, Prof. Shanta Devarajan and Dr. Shamini Cooray.

Minister Sabry cited the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) as one of the enterprises that had contributed to the deterioration of the national economy. He explained how the CEB engineers brazenly thwarted attempts to enhance renewable energy capacity on various pretexts. Calling them a Mafia organization, Minister Sabry pointed out how those who had blocked renewable energy projects, approved emergency power purchases, at exorbitant rates. Chamuditha Samarawickrema pointed out that there was no point in making such allegations. The Hiru team stressed the responsibility on the part of the government to address the issue at hand.

Commenting on the latest defeat, suffered by Sri Lanka at the UNHRC, Minister Sabry said that the country was paying a very heavy price for failing to fulfill the promises made by successive governments before the international community.

Declaring that Sri Lanka couldn’t accept hybrid courts to examine accountability issues, Minister Sabry decried the co-sponsorship of the Geneva resolution, in Oct 2015, during the Yahapalana administration. Responding to criticism that only seven countries voted, objecting the resolution moved against Sri Lanka, Minister Sabry said that of the 20 countries that voted against Sri Lanka, many represented the EU. Minister Sabry said that the proponents of the resolution believed they could secure more than 24 votes though ended up with 20.

Sabry reiterated their commitment to do away with the Prevention of Terrorism Act (PTA) perhaps before end of this year to pave the way for a new law, in line with international standards.

Minister Sabry emphasised that the contentious issues of reconciliation and accountability should be addressed with appropriate mechanisms. Success of such projects depend largely on workable mechanisms, not individuals.



News

CEB trade unions hint at stringent industrial action after talks fail

Published

on

Trade unions of the Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB), backed by the powerful Ceylon Electricity Board Engineers’ Union, have warned of accelerated trade union action following the collapse of crucial discussions held on Monday (16) with the CEB Chairman, who also serves as Secretary to the Ministry of Power and Energy.

The issue is expected to take centre stage at today’s press conference, with unions signalling that a token strike, possibly a 12-hour countrywide action, could be staged next week unless authorities urgently intervene.

The meeting earlier this week ended without what union representatives described as any “positive or constructive outcome.”

Trade union leaders expressed disappointment that their key concerns had not been substantively addressed during discussions with the Chairman.

At the heart of the dispute is the unions’ demand for a collective agreement in accordance with Section 18(j) of the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 36 of 2024. Trade union representatives maintain that the law provides for structured engagement between management and employees and that a formal collective agreement is necessary to ensure transparency and industrial stability within the institution.

The unions also submitted what they termed a reasonable proposal to safeguard the CEB Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF), voicing concerns over the long-term security of workers’ retirement benefits.

However, according to trade union sources, those proposals were not adequately taken up during the discussions.

A senior electrical engineer told The Island that further internal consultations were being held to decide the next course of action. “There is growing frustration among employees. The issues raised are fundamental and relate directly to statutory compliance and the financial security of staff,” he said.

The Island learns that unless there is meaningful engagement from the authorities, the proposed token strike could mark the beginning of more stringent industrial action.

Energy sector observers warn that any escalation of trade union unrest at the CEB could have serious implications for the country’s power sector stability at a critical time.Further developments are expected following today’s media briefing.

By Ifham Nizam

Continue Reading

News

PM reveals allowances and perks available to MPs

Published

on

Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya yesterday (19) revealed allowances and benefits provided to Members of Parliament at present.She did so while responding to a question raised by Samagi Jana Balawegaya MP Chaminda Wijesiri.

According to the disclosure:

An MP receives a monthly allowance of Rs. 54,285, with an entertainment allowance of Rs. 1,000 per month.

Driver allowance is Rs. 3,500 per month; however, if the MP is provided with a driver by the Ministry of Public Security and Parliamentary Affairs, no driver allowance is paid.

Telephone allowance is Rs. 50,000, while transport allowance is Rs. 15,000 per month.

Office allowance amounts to Rs. 100,000.

MPs attending parliamentary sessions receive Rs. 2,500 per day, while Rs. 2,500 per day are given for MPs attending committee meetings on non-sitting days.

Meanwhile, Members of Parliament also receive a fuel allowance based on the distance from their elected district to Parliament.

For national list MPs, this is calculated as 419.76 liters of diesel per month, paid at the approved market rate on the first day of each month.Dr. Amarasuriya also emphasised that these allowances are structured to cover official duties and transportation costs.

Continue Reading

News

CID expresses regret to Natasha; IGP to issue guidelines on ICCPR arrests

Published

on

Former OIC of the Cyber Crime Investigation and Intelligence Analysis Unit of the CID, M.M.U. Subhasinghe, yesterday expressed his regret in writing to civil activist and comedian Natasha Edirisooriya at the Supreme Court regarding her arrest under the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) Act.

The Attorney General’s Department, appearing on behalf of the respondents, informed the court that the IGP would issue a set of guidelines via a circular to all police officers to prevent unlawful arrests under this Act in the future. It was further noted that the circular would be issued within two weeks, and the petitioner, Natasha Edirisooriya, has examined and agreed to these guidelines.

These submissions were made yesterday before a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court, led by Chief Justice Preethi Padman Surasena, during the hearing of the Fundamental Rights (FR) petition filed by Edirisooriya challenging her unlawful arrest.

Following these developments, the court ordered the respondents to inform the court via a motion within two weeks of issuing the IGP’s circular and ordered the conclusion of the case proceedings.

Natasha Edirisooriya was present in open court yesterday. Addressing her, Chief Justice Surasena stated that the court appreciates the manner in which the legal proceedings were brought to a conclusion.

The letter expressing regret stated: “As the arresting officer, considering the totality of circumstances, I wish to express deep regret to you for the arrest on 27th May 2023 and your incarceration in remand custody till 5th July 2023 consequent thereto. I also extend my deep regret regarding the damage that may have been caused to your reputation and dignity, and mental and emotional trauma caused by the arrest and incarceration.”

The respondents agreed to express this regret and issue the circular based on the specific conditions put forward by Edirisooriya in consultation with her counsel Suren Fernando and the legal team.

By AJA Abeynayake

Continue Reading

Trending