News
CMC mayoral showdown today
The Colombo Municipal Council (CMC) faces a mayoral showdown today after weeks of political horse-trading, tense negotiations and allegations of bribery.Both the JVP-led NPP and the SJB-led opposition group, vying for the coveted CMC mayoral post, expressed confidence of winning today’s contest.
The election of the new Mayor and the Deputy Mayor will take place as the first order of business, when the CMC meets today. The winning party needs at least 59 seats of the 117-member council to secure the posts of Mayor and Deputy Mayor.
The NPP obtained 48 seats at the 6 May Local Government elections whereas the SJB managed to secure only 29.
At a meeting chaired by Prime Minister Dr. Harini Amarasuriya, at the JVP Palewatte office on Saturday, the ruling party declared that it would form the administration at the CMC. Vraie Cally Balthazaar, who contested the LG poll as the NPP’s mayoral candidate, assured the gathering that the ruling party would take over the CMC.
The UNP came third at the CMC with 13 seats, and the Sri Lanka Podujana Peramuna (SLPP) gained five seats.Political sources said that UNP leader Ranil Wickremesinghe proposed that the SJB and UNP at least contest together for the CMC but Sajith Premadasa rejected that move.
The Sri Lanka Muslim Congress received four seats, Independent Group No. 03 obtained three seats, the Sarvajana Balaya received two seats, and the United Peace Alliance also secured two seats.
Independent Groups No. 04 and 05 received two seats each.
The United Republic Front, the National People’s Party, the National Freedom Front, the Podujana United Front, the Democratic National Alliance, Independent Group No. 01, and Independent Group No. 02 received one seat each.
Well informed sources said that the NPP seemed to be having an edge over the SJB-led grouping though the Opposition last week reached consensus on alliance to take over some of the hung councils. The NPP scored outright victories in 161 councils out of 339 bodies to which elections were held on 06 May.
Meanwhile, the March 12 Movement has claimed that political parties/individuals are being bribed by those seeking to form administration at various hung councils. The civil society grouping has said that while conclusive evidence remains limited, widespread public opinion suggests that financial incentives and other benefits may have influenced the support extended to various parties. Such perceptions, whether confirmed or not, do not bode well for the future of local governance, the group has said.
News
CEB seeking tariff hike while making huge profits, says opposition trade union leader
Convenor of the Samagi Joint Trade Union Alliance affiliated with the Samagi Jana Balawegaya, Ananda Palitha, yesterday (16) said that the Ceylon Electricity Board was seeking to raise electricity tariffs by 13.56% percent although it had earned a profit of more than Rs 22,000 mn.
The CEB recently submitted its proposal to the Public Utilities Commission of Sri Lanka (PUCSL) for an electricity tariff revision for the second quarter of this year – the period effective from April 1 to June 30.
Palitha alleged that the PUCSL, in spite of knowing the massive profit earned by the CEB, at the expense of the hapless public, had chosen to allow the state enterprise to propose an additional burden.
The economic, technical and safety regulator of the electricity industry, and the designated regulator for petroleum and water services industries, should exercise its powers in terms of the PUCSL Act No. 35 of 2002 and the Sri Lanka Electricity Act No. 20 of 2009 to provide relief, the veteran trade unionist said.
Palitha emphasised that the PUCSL had the right to intervene on behalf of electricity consumers but, unfortunately, chose to facilitate the CEB’s despicable strategy. “The proposal to increase tariffs by 13.56% was meant to divert attention. The real issue at hand is the percentage of electricity tariff reduction,” Palitha said. The former UNPer found fault with the Opposition for failing to expose the CEB.
Taking into consideration the Rs 22,000 millionplus profit, the PUCSL could order the CEB to grant relief to consumers, Palitha said, adding that the CEB and PUCSL, together, deprived electricity consumers tariff reduction in the first quarter of this year, too.
In January this year, the CEB asked for a 11.59% tariff increase though it was enjoying Rs 22,000 mn profit at that time, the trade unionist said.
Palitha said that as the PUCSL received all data available to the CEB it was fully aware of the finances of the state enterprise.
In January, 2025, regardless of the NPP government floating the idea regarding as much as a 37% tariff increase, the PUCSL granted a 20% tariff reduction (25% of Rs 22,000 mn profit), Palitha said.
According to him, as a result of relief granted to the consumers, the profits had been reduced to Rs 16,000 mn but by June 2025 profits had increased to Rs 18,000 mn and there was a need to grant tariff reduction. But, the NPP, having always lashed out at the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in the run up to the presidential election, held in September 2024, started playing a different tune.
Responding to The Island queries, Palitha said that contrary to claims that the CEB proposed a 13.56% tariff increase to cover up losses caused by the importation of low-quality coal for the Norochcholai Lakvijaya coal-fired power plant, the current strategy seemed to have been adopted at the behest of the IMF.
Instead of granting tariff reduction for the third quarter in 2025, the PUCSL ordered an 18% increase, Palitha said. The trade unionist claimed that the Finance Ministry, at the behest of the IMF, directed both the CEB and the PUCSL to increase electricity tariffs by 20% in violation of the relevant Acts, he said.
Then in Oct, 2025, the CEB proposed a 6.8 % tariff increase at a time its profits were around Rs 22,000 mn. The CEB and PUCSL staged a drama over that proposal and finally, on the false pretext of the CEB’s failure to furnish its proposal on time, the revision was dropped, Palitha said. The SJB activist pointed out that the Opposition failed to highlight that consumers had been deprived of downward revision in spite of massive profits earned by the Board. “In fact, when Energy Minister Kumara Jayakody met trade unions, he very clearly declared that they were considering electricity power reduction, perhaps by 10%, 12% or 15%. But in the end nothing happened.”
Now the same drama is being enacted by the government, the CEB and the PUCSL, Palitha said.
By Shamindra Ferdinando
News
BASL protest march
Members of the BASL yesterday (16) staged a protest march over the murder of a lawyer and his wife in Akuregoda, Thalangama, last week. The BASL staged a protest march from the Supreme Court Complex to the BASL Head Office.
News
IMF MD here
Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) Kristalina Georgieva arrived in Colombo yesterday (16) for top level discussions with the government. She is scheduled to leave tomorrow (18) after meeting government authorities and key stakeholders, observing firsthand the impact of Cyclone Ditwah, and discussing ways in which the IMF could support recovery efforts and contribute to building a more resilient future for all Sri Lankans, sources said.
-
Life style2 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business1 day agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features2 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Midweek Review6 days agoA question of national pride
-
Business6 days agoAutodoc 360 relocates to reinforce commitment to premium auto care
-
Opinion5 days agoWill computers ever be intelligent?
-
Features2 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features2 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
