Foreign News
At least 43 dead as Helene pummels southeast US
At least 43 people have died and millions left without power on Friday as Hurricane Helene roared through the south-eastern US.
It was the most powerful storm on record to hit Florida’s Big Bend and moved north into Georgia and the Carolinas after making landfall overnight on Thursday.
Although Helene has weakened significantly, forecasters warn that high winds, flooding and the threat of tornadoes would continue.
Roads and houses were submerged on Friday, with one family describing to the BBC News how they had to swim out of their home to safety. Insurers and financial institutions say damage caused by the storm could run into the billions of dollars.
The eye of Helene, which had been a Category Four storm, came ashore on Thursday night. Helene remained a hurricane for six hours after it made landfall, according to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
The National Hurricane Center (NHC) said a storm surge – heightened water levels mostly caused by high winds blowing water towards shore – reached more than 15ft (4.5m) above ground level across parts of the Florida coast.
The NHC said the surge should subside on Friday but that the threat from high winds and flooding would persist, including possible landslides.
Up to 20in (50cm) of rain is still possible in places.
The hurricane is the 14th most powerful to hit the US since records began. At approximately 420 miles (675 km) wide, it is behind only two other hurricanes – Ida in 2017 and Opal in 1996, both of which were 460 miles wide.
Because of its sheer size, the impact of strong winds and heavy rain have been widespread across Florida, Georgia, Tennessee and the Carolinas.
At least eight people have died in Florida since Friday, including at least five people in Pinellas County, the county’s sheriff, Bob Gualtieri said.
Pinellas County includes the city of St Petersburg on Florida’s Gulf Coast.
Florida Governor Ron DeSantis said one person died after a road sign fell on their car and another when a tree fell on a home.
Two people in Wheeler County in Georgia also died, authorities said, when a suspected tornado picked up and overturned a mobile home.
Georgia Governor Brian Kemp said at least 15 people died in his state, including one first responder. Kemp ordered 1,000 National Guard troops to help rescue efforts.
The Georgia governor said more than 150 roads have been closed, 1,300 traffic signals are out across the state and people are still trapped in buildings.
In South Carolina, at least 17 people were killed, according to CBS News, the BBC’s US partner. Neighbouring North Carolina saw at least two fatalities in the storm, one due to a vehicle collision and another when a tree fell on a home in Charlotte, Governor Roy Cooper said.
And one person was killed in Virginia, the state’s governor, Glenn Youngkin, said at a news conference Friday.
Across the southeast, first responders have been tackling daring rescues, using helicopters, boats and large vehicles to help people stranded in flooded homes. In North Carolina along, more than 100 rescues have taken place, Cooper said.
Two tornadoes were confirmed in North Carolina by the National Weather Service. One damaged approximately 11 buildings, and left 15 injured. Four people were taken to hospital in “serious” condition, the weather service said.
In Tennessee, 58 patients and staff were left stranded on the roof of a hospital in the city of Erwin on Friday. Swift-moving water from the Nolichucky River prevented boats from being able to conduct rescue operations, and high winds prevented helicopter rescue.
The group was later taken to safety after helicopters from the Tennessee National Guard and the Virginia State Police intervened.
Across the region some four million homes and businesses were without power late Friday, according to tracking site poweroutage.us.
In Pasco County, north of Tampa on Florida’s Gulf coast, 65 people have been rescued, and in Lee County, to the south, many roads are impassable.
Also along the Florida coast, hotel guests were evacuated from a Ramada Inn in Manatee County as the hotel was flooded with water.
And in Suwannee County to the north, authorities reported “extreme destruction”, with trees falling onto homes.
Michael Brennan, the director of the NHC, said damaging winds are forecast to continue hitting Georgia and the Carolinas throughout Friday, especially over the higher terrain of the Southern Appalachians.
Speaking from the White House on Thursday evening, President Joe Biden urged residents to “listen to local officials and follow evacuation warnings”.
In Taylor County, the Sheriff’s department said that people who refused to evacuate should write their names and dates of birth on their arms in permanent ink “so that you can be identified and family notified”.


Briana Gagnier told the BBC how she and her family saw water creeping into their home on Holmes Beach, Florida, and started moving their belongings onto tables and beds before hearing a loud bang. “My family and I all looked at one another,” she said. “Then water just started pouring in.”
Ms Gagnier said she grabbed her pets, her wallet and some portable chargers and swam out of their home with her family. The water was up to their shoulders.
“We also encourage all communities to please continue to listen to your local officials,” FEMA Deputy Administrator Erik Hooks said Friday. “Just because the storm has passed where you are doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re safe to leave your home.”
Officials also reminded residents the effects of the storm are “not over yet” and urged residents to remain vigilant.
Hurricanes need sea surface temperatures of more than 27C (80F) to fuel them.
With exceptionally warm waters of the Gulf at 30-32C, the sea surface is about two degrees Celsius above normal for the time of year.
Florida’s 220-mile Big Bend coast is where Hurricane Idalia made landfall in 2023. The area was also battered by Hurricane Debby last month.
There could be as many as 25 named storms in 2024, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) warned earlier this year.
Between eight and 13 of those storms could develop into hurricanes and a handful already have including Helene.
More storms could be on the horizon as the official end of hurricane season will not arrive until 30 November, officials warned.
[BBC]
Foreign News
How photography helped the British empire classify India
In the second half of the 19th Century, photography became one of the British Empire’s most persuasive instruments for knowing – and classifying – India.
A new exhibition – called Typecasting: Photographing the Peoples of India, 1855-1920, and organised by DAG, the Delhi-based art gallery – brings together nearly 200 rare photographs from a period when the camera was deployed to classify communities, fix identities and make India’s complex social differences legible to the colonial government.
Spanning 65 years, the exhibition maps an expansive human geography: from Lepcha and Bhutia communities in the north-east to Afridis in the north-west; from Todas in the Nilgiris to Parsi and Gujarati elites in western India.
It also turns its gaze to those assigned to the lower rungs of the colonial social order – dancing girls, agricultural labourers, barbers and snake charmers.
These images did not merely document India’s diversity; they actively shaped it, translating fluid, lived realities into apparently stable and knowable “types”.
Curated by historian Sudeshna Guha, the exhibition centres on folios from The People of India, the influential eight-volume photographic survey published between 1868 and 1875. From this core, it expands outward to include albumen and silver-gelatin prints by photographers such as Samuel Bourne, Lala Deen Dayal, John Burke and the studio Shepherd & Robertson – practitioners whose images helped define the visual language of that time.
“Taken together, this material tells the history of ethnographic photography and its effect on the British administration and the Indian population, in a project which in size and depth has never before been seen in India,” says Ashish Anand, CEO of DAG.
Here’s a selection of images from the exhibition:









[BBC]
Foreign News
Asos co-founder dies after Thailand apartment block fall
A co-founder of online fashion giant Asos died after falling from a high-rise apartment block in Thailand, police have said.
Quentin Griffiths has been named by Thai police as the man found dead on the ground in the eastern seaside city of Pattaya on 9 February.
A police investigator told the BBC Griffiths, a British passport holder, was by himself, his room was locked from the inside, and there was no trace of any break-ins at the time of the death. An autopsy did not reveal any evidence of foul play.
Griffiths co-founded Asos in 2000 and remained a significant shareholder after leaving the firm five years later.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We are supporting the family of a British national who has died in Thailand and are in contact with the local authorities.”
Police in Pattaya told the BBC Griffiths was found dead outside a luxury hotel where he had been staying in as a long-term resident in a suite on the 17th floor.
He was involved in two ongoing court cases that might have caused him stress, police also told the BBC.
Griffiths was separated from his second wife, a Thai national, and had reportedly been engaged in a legal dispute with her over a business they ran together, the BBC understands.
He co-founded Asos in London with Nick Robertson, Andrew Regan and Deborah Thorpe.
Its name originally stood for As Seen On Screen as it sold fashion inspired by clothing worn by TV and film stars.
It grew to become an online fashion marketplace stocking hundreds of brands as well as its own lines and at one time was valued at more than £6bn.
Its largest shareholders include Danish billionaire Anders Holch Povlsen – who owns Danish clothing giant Bestseller and Mike Ashley, owner of Frasers Group.
[BBC]
Foreign News
Mystery donor gives Japanese city $3.6m in gold bars to fix water system
A Japanese city has received a hefty donation to help fix its ageing water system: 21kg (46lb) in gold bars.
The gold bars, worth an estimated 560 million yen ($3.6m; £2.7m), were given last November by a donor who wished to remain anonymous, Osaka Mayor Hideyuki Yokoyama told a press conference on Thursday.
Home to nearly three million people, Osaka is a commercial hub located in the Japan’s Kansai region and the country’s third-largest city.
But like many Japanese cities, Osaka’s water and sewage pipes are ageing – a growing cause for safety concern.
Osaka recorded more than 90 cases of water pipe leaks under its roads in the 2024 fiscal year, according to the city’s waterworks bureau.
“Tackling ageing water pipes requires a huge investment. So I have nothing but appreciation,” Yokoyama told reporters on Thursday, in response to a question about the huge gold donation.
Yokoyama said the amount was “staggering” and he was “lost for words”.
The same mystery donor had previously given 500,000 yen in cash for municipal waterworks, he added.
The city’s waterworks bureau said in a statement on Thursday that it was grateful for the gold donation and would put it to good use – including tackling the deterioration of water pipes.
More than 20% of Japan’s water pipes have passed their legal service life of 40 years, according to local media.
Sinkholes have also become increasingly common in Japanese cities, many of which have ageing sewage pipeline infrastructure.
Last year, a massive sinkhole in Saitama Prefecture swallowed the cab of a truck, killing its driver. The sinkhole was believed to have been caused by a ruptured sewage pipe.
That incident prompted Japanese authorities to step up efforts to replace corroded pipes across the country. But budget issues have stalled the progress of such pipe renewal works.
[BBC]
-
Life style7 days agoMarriot new GM Suranga
-
Business6 days agoMinistry of Brands to launch Sri Lanka’s first off-price retail destination
-
Features7 days agoMonks’ march, in America and Sri Lanka
-
Features7 days agoThe Rise of Takaichi
-
Features7 days agoWetlands of Sri Lanka:
-
News7 days agoThailand to recruit 10,000 Lankans under new labour pact
-
News7 days agoMassive Sangha confab to address alleged injustices against monks
-
Features6 days agoGiants in our backyard: Why Sri Lanka’s Blue Whales matter to the world
