Connect with us

News

Anwar sworn in as Malaysia’s PM after 25-year struggle for reform

Published

on

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia – Anwar Ibrahim has been sworn in as Malaysia’s 10th prime minister, marking an incredible comeback for a man who was first lined up for the job in the boom years of the 1990s before he was suddenly sacked and jailed.

The 75-year-old veteran politician took the oath of office in the presence of King Sultan Abdullah Sultan Ahmad Shah at the palace in Kuala Lumpur shortly after 5pm (09:00 GMT) on Thursday afternoon, hours after he had been named to the top job by the monarch.King Sultan Abdullah had taken control of the process of forming a new government after Anwar’s Pakatan Harapan (PH) coalition won the most seats in the weekend’s election, but not the 112 seat parliamentary majority necessary to form a government.

PH and the rival conservative Malay-Muslim Perikatan Nasional (PN) coalition under former Prime Minister Muhyiddin Yassin, which had the second-highest number of seats, both began negotiations to form a government, wooing smaller coalitions in the Borneo states of Sabah and Sarawak as well as Barisan Nasional (BN), the alliance that dominated Malaysia for some 60 years before its historic defeat in the last elections in 2018.

With neither able to make a breakthrough, the king met Anwar and Muhyiddin, as well as newly elected members of parliament to canvas their views on who should lead the new government.

After a meeting of the royal households on Thursday, Anwar was announced as the leader because the king was convinced he had the support of the majority of Malaysia’s 222 members of parliament.ment, urging all politicians to work together for the benefit of the country.

King Sultan Abdullah said the 75-year-old opposition leader would be sworn in at a ceremony at the palace at 5pm (09:00 GMT). tor at consultancy BGA Malaysia, told Al Jazeera. “All his struggles and campaigns for reform are now vindicated.”

Sodomy charges

Anwar Ibrahim started his political career as a student activist, founding the Muslim Youth Movement of Malaysia, known by its Malay acronym ABIM, in 1971 and later leading protests against rural poverty and on other socioeconomic causes.nant party in BN, which had ruled Malaysia since independence in 1957.Anwar rose rapidly through the ranks to become finance minister and deputy prime minister, earning a reputation as a charismatic, ambitious and reform-minded politician.

But as the Asian financial crisis deepened, Mahathir turned on the man he had chosen as his successor.September 1998, Anwar was sacked and accused of corruption and sodomy, a crime in Malaysia.

Thousands took to the streets of Kuala Lumpur and Anwar, who maintained the charges were politically motivated, was arrested.His trial veered from the shocking – a black eye later confirmed to be inflicted by the then-police chief while Anwar was in custody – to the absurd – a stained mattress hauled into court as evidence. – Al Jazeera



Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Catholic Council reconvenes after nine years

Published

on

By

A discussion with the Catholic Council was held on Thursday (21) afternoon at the Presidential Secretariat under the co-chairmanship of Minister of Science and Technology, Chrishantha Abeysena and Secretary to the President Dr. Nandika Sanath Kumanayake.

Discussions focused on administrative issues relating to Catholic schools taken over by the Government, the formulation of a structured teacher cadre system for Catholic religious education, the need to recruit Catholic nuns and priests into the teaching profession and the establishment of a mechanism to obtain the support of the Ministry of Education for the administration of Government-acquired Catholic schools.

It was also decided that discussions with the Catholic Council would be held three times annually, while Senior Additional Secretary to the President Roshan Gamage would serve as Secretary to the forum.

Expressing appreciation on behalf of the Catholic Council, His Eminence Malcolm Cardinal Ranjith thanked President Anura Kumara Dissanayake and the Government for facilitating the discussion.

His Eminence further stated that the expectation was to ensure every student, without discrimination, is given the opportunity to learn his or her own religion and stressed the importance of resolving the prevailing issues within the education sector.

Also present at the occasion were Most Rev. Bishop Harold Anthony Perera, Most Rev. Bishop Christy Noel Emmanuel, Most Rev. Bishop Anton Ranjith, Most Rev. Bishop Wimal Siri Jayasuriya, other clergy representing the Catholic Council, Secretary to the Ministry of Education, Nalaka Kaluwewa and senior officials of the Ministry of Education.

(PMD)

Continue Reading

News

ICC to widen Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy

Published

on

By

The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year. [

The International Cricket Council (ICC) has decided to broaden the Women’s Emerging Nations Trophy, which was launched last year. Unlike the inaugural edition held in November 2025 that featured eight Associate teams, the second edition will comprise 10 teams, including five Test-playing nations. The tournament is scheduled to be held in November this year.

Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland will join the Netherlands, Scotland, Thailand, the UAE and Papua New Guinea (PNG) in the 10-team championship. The decision was among the key outcomes of the ICC Chief Executives Committee (CEC) meeting conducted online on Thursday.
The inaugural edition of the championship was held in Bangkok from November 20 to 30 and featured Scotland, the Netherlands, the United Arab Emirates, Papua New Guinea, Namibia, Uganda and Tanzania, besides hosts Thailand. Thailand emerged champions after four teams – the hosts, UAE, Scotland and the Netherlands – finished level on points. The champions were eventually identified on net run rate.
The ICC, under the chairmanship of Jay Shah, intends to give a major fillip to women’s cricket – a move similar to the one that had far-reaching implications for the women’s game in India during his tenure as BCCI secretary. Following the blockbuster Women’s World Cup, which recorded unprecedented global viewership and was incidentally won by India, the ICC is now aiming to make women’s cricket the most popular women’s sport in the world.

In this context, the CEC received a presentation from McKinsey & Company, which advised the ICC on a strategy refresh for women’s cricket. The firm also presented recommendations on how the ICC could potentially increase its revenues tenfold over the next decade.
The ICC also heard presentations from representatives of Oliver Wyman on its data monetisation project. The governing body is keen to create a centralised data hub that could potentially generate revenues of at least $100 million. FIFA and the ATP Tour, it is understood, earn close to $200 million each from their respective data platforms.
As previously reported by this website, there was no discussion on men’s cricket matters such as the restructuring of the World Test Championship (WTC) or the proposed two-tier Test system. Those issues have been left to the ICC Board, which is scheduled to meet in Ahmedabad on May 30.
Continue Reading

Latest News

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE departs following replenishment visit

Published

on

By

Italian Navy’s ITS GIOVANNI DELLE BANDE NERE, which arrived in Colombo (21 May 2026) on a replenishment visit, departed the island today (22 May).

The Sri Lanka Navy bade a customary farewell to the departing ship in compliance with naval traditions at the port of Colombo.

During her brief stay in Colombo, the Commanding Officer of the ship, Commander Antonio BUFIS called on the Commander Western Naval Area at the Western Naval Command Headquarters.

Continue Reading

Trending